Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
minicorolla

Drives: 2008 Sedan White
Question CReports

Checked out the new issue at the supermarket yesterday. They had the Fit at #1, the Yaris at about #8? I'm real pleased with mine.
minicorolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
I know what you mean. I was a little scared, after reading the reviews, when I got my Yaris. They almost make it sound like it's held together by duct tape or something, lol. If you compare the Yaris to certain more expensive cars, then, yeah, the Yaris has shortcomings, but some of the reviews out there are unbelievably harsh, if you ask me. Users reviews for the Yaris are generally more favorable than the "experts' reviews".

tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicorolla View Post
Checked out the new issue at the supermarket yesterday. They had the Fit at #1, the Yaris at about #8? I'm real pleased with mine.
Yeah, well, the world is full various opinions and viewpoints. A lot of professional reviewers are overly fixated on stuff like power, fancy stereos, "safety" features, traction control, ABS, etc. The Fit also scores extra points with people who want more interior room. My own primary interests are simplicity, reliablity, compactness, theft rate, ground clearance and MPG. Cup holders are also important.
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrownd View Post
Yeah, well, the world is full various opinions and viewpoints. A lot of professional reviewers are overly fixated on stuff like power, fancy stereos, "safety" features, traction control, ABS, etc. The Fit also scores extra points with people who want more interior room. My own primary interests are simplicity, reliablity, compactness, theft rate, ground clearance and MPG. Cup holders are also important.
+1 ground clearance!
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:01 AM   #5
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Oka, I'm gonna say this again, which is totally unpopular. Just because you think the Yaris is king of the world, doesn't mean the snooty snoot snoots at the magazine agrees.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
I'm thoroughly happy with my Yaris... tons of interior space and IMHO looks better then the Fit... I'm so tired of the Yaris bashing the media is putting out...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
I'm thoroughly happy with my Yaris... tons of interior space and IMHO looks better then the Fit... I'm so tired of the Yaris bashing the media is putting out...
Is not like the media is out there to specifically bash on the Yaris. Just because their opinions don't agree with yours, doesn't mean that its not a valid one.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
It's not that they're bashing the Yaris, it's just that they compare her to more sophisticated cars.

I agree with you, the FIT does look a bit strange. But if you take her for a test drive, you'll notice some differences. Personally, I think the FIT is more fun, more intuitive, easier to drive. Didn't care for her price tag, though.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
My basic worry with the Fit is that the "H" logo on the grille says "steal me and ride me like a supercharged dune buggy" around here.
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
Deltasix

Drives: '07 Liftback: Work in Progress
Send a message via AIM to Deltasix
To be honest, I was sort of put off by CR's review of the yaris when I was first car shopping. I did a bit of research of cars in that size and price range, and the yaris was near enough to the bottom to almost make me skip a run to the Toyota dealership.

Of course, I'm glad I didn't. Once I actually drove all the cars I looked into online, the yaris was my favorite (that and the nice interest rate from Toyota helped).

I like CR, but having worked in the consumer electronics industry, which is something that CR likes to review a lot, I rely on them less and less. Basically use them as a broad primer, but when it comes down to it, test it out yourself.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Fit is a great car, but...

The fit is a better car then our Yaris.

However it is not $2,500 more better.

I got the Yaris for better MPG, lower price. Both cars are equally reliable, durable. The cost of ownership (TCO) is lower with the Yaris, and for that reason alone I chose the 2007 Yaris HB over the 2007 Fit.

Both cars are excellent, however the Honda is charging 20% more money for a car that is 5% better.

From a financial point of view, the smart money is on the Yaris...those in the know, those that "get it" chose the Yaris.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
CR is shit... i learned that a long time before looking at cars... their "expertise" I swear comes from a minimally educated group of people.

stay away from CR when buying ANYTHING... especially cars... pay attention to other magazines.... Car and Driver really helped me pick the yaris over the smart.... the fit wasn't really even an option....cause of its additional cost... and....well I just prefer not to be associated with every punk kid who's 3fast 8furious.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #13
427chev

Drives: 2009 Yaris with TRD parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
CR is shit... i learned that a long time before looking at cars... their "expertise" I swear comes from a minimally educated group of people.

stay away from CR when buying ANYTHING... especially cars... pay attention to other magazines.... Car and Driver really helped me pick the yaris over the smart.... the fit wasn't really even an option....cause of its additional cost... and....well I just prefer not to be associated with every punk kid who's 3fast 8furious.
Go drive a Fit and see who's "minimally educated." (Hint: It's not Consumer Reports.)

The Yaris offers a lot of value in the base 3 door hatch style and when very minimally optioned. The Fit blows the Yaris away once options begin to inflate the cost of the Yaris.

Dynamically speaking, the Fit (Sport model in particular) is a much better handling car than the stock Yaris. The Fit also offers much more supportive seating, a better sounding stereo and a nicer gauge package. Many would argue that those things alone are worth the extra money, though the Fit includes even more (power windows and locks standard).

I love my Yaris, but it's not stock and the amount I've spent on improvements make me feel a tad silly.
2009 Base model Bayou Blue 3 door hatch, 5 speed manual trans, Option Group D, factory floor mats, accessory mud guards, TRD shocks/springs/rear bar, TRD leather wrapped shift knob, Pioneer FH-P8000BT "double DIN" head unit & 4 Infiniti Kappa speakers, stainless steel license plate screws, Toyota stainless exhaust tip, enhanced driver's seat (professional upholsterer added spring mesh to lower seat cushion which DRAMATICALLY improved support/comfort and also built up lumbar region in seat back for more aggressive lumbar support. Seat Mod Cost: $125; the seat "feels" $350 better.)

Last edited by 427chev; 03-19-2009 at 08:56 PM.
427chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post

stay away from CR when buying ANYTHING... especially cars... pay attention to other magazines....
I don't agree. CR has excellent information for people looking at buying a used car. Can't say anything about their new cars reports because I didn't look there, but their used cars database is very helpful.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:56 AM   #15
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
they will always love honda
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #16
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427chev View Post
The Yaris offers a lot of value in the base 3 door hatch style and when very minimally optioned. The Fit blows the Yaris away once options begin to inflate the cost of the Yaris.
This is completely the opposite from our experience when we purchased our Yaris. The base FIT and Yaris were less than 1000 apart, but by the time we put A/C, the power package and an AT in both cars, the FIT was a hair under $3000 more than our Yaris. That's over 15% more. I do believe the FIT is made with higher quality materials, but we weren't willing to pay that kind of premium for a car that is essentially the same kind of product.

It seems to me like the professional car reviewers no longer understand the concept of giving up some niceties to save money, and why should they? It's no different than a movie reviewer recommending a movie because it has one cool scene or one smart line of dialogue. They don't have to put their money where there mouth is, you do. I know people who own FITs and Yarii and all them are surprised by how low the Yaris is rated, but none of us are surprised that the FIT is always rated very well.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #17
REM

Drives: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL
I had a Chevy 1500 that was listed as a don't buy in CR: I couldn't kill the truck, and trust me I tried.

I had a Pontiac Grand AM GT that CR didn't like: it was a POS.

Sometimes they are right, and sometimes they are wrong...

Last edited by REM; 03-20-2009 at 10:10 AM.
REM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #18
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
I had a Chevy 1500 that was listed as a don't buy in CR: I couldn't kill the truck, and trust me I tried.

I had a Pontiac Grand AM GT that CR didn't like: it was a POS.

Sometimes they are right, and sometimes they are wrong...
Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't.

Consumer reports is good for a few things. I've stopped reading their reviews/articles. I still check the reliability records. I think its still one of the best ways to get an idea about the quality of the car you are looking at - straight from the users mouth. It isn't always dead on, but it does help you get an idea of how many problems you're gonna have with any particular car.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote