Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
rakhan01

Drives: Toyota Vitz 2004
Problem with my car

Hell guys!

I don't know whether it's the right section or not but i need some help about this annoying problem.

I've Toyota Vitz/Yaris 2004 (auto)

The problem i faced few days back is that the check engine light went totally off. When ignition was turned on, there was no check engine light. Then the problem started that in the morning morning it took too many self starters to start. I had to mess for about 10 minutes to get it started.

Now this problem has gone worse. Could anyone please suggest some solutions ??

Thanks
rakhan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I would start by connecting it to a OBDII code reader to see if there are any stored DTCs. If the problem is with the ECM, it either won't respond to the code reader, or will report an error with the drive circuit for the indicator light. It is also entirely possible that the LED or bulb (I haven't taken apart a 1st gen cluster to know which it uses) is burnt out.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
rakhan01

well. it could be the case.

I went to near by toyota service center. They could not seem to find the solution. They connected the obd II reader but it showed everything ok. Engine and ecu ok , airbag and abs ok as well. Even if it's the led, the obd should detect the problem which is not the case. What do you suggest?
they also said the fuses and wires are ok.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakhan01 View Post
well. it could be the case.

I went to near by toyota service center. They could not seem to find the solution. They connected the obd II reader but it showed everything ok. Engine and ecu ok , airbag and abs ok as well. Even if it's the led, the obd should detect the problem which is not the case. What do you suggest?
they also said the fuses and wires are ok.
The ECM for that vintage may not actually detect a bad LED/Bulb, so that's where I would check first. The EWD for your 2004 shows that the feed from the ECM to that indicator is on Pin 8 of the smaller connector. You can measure the voltage on that pin to ground to verify that the ECM is outputting to it.

It is definitely not a fuse issue, as many other indicators would be out.

2004 meter connectors.jpg
Old 12-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
rakhan01

this is the thing i need to tell the electrician as i haven't done it before. Apart from it, do you think of anything else which could be the problem. Please list the feared problems so i could tell my electrician to check.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
this is the thing i need to tell the electrician as i haven't done it before. Apart from it, do you think of anything else which could be the problem. Please list the feared problems so i could tell my electrician to check.
I am fairly certain that it's a bulb rather than LED and that the bulb is burned out. I just noticed in the circuit diagram of the inside of the meter, that all of the indicators, except for water temp have the symbol for a bulb, rather than LED. Just the water temp indicator is drawn as an LED.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
rakhan01

alright, i will get it checked. But it should not be the problem for starting engine. I will find some some other electrician and will update here if i find any solution.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
alright, i will get it checked. But it should not be the problem for starting engine. I will find some some other electrician and will update here if i find any solution.
Correct. The bulb was probably reaching the end of its life and all of the starting attempts, turning it on and off so much, probably pushed it over the edge.

For the not starting issue, you need a mechanic to go through the basics (fuel supply, spark, etc.)
Old 12-03-2010, 05:12 AM   #9
rakhan01

i had my car parked in his garage. today i went and he had fixed that check engine light problem and said that he put relay in the car which was missing. he said it will take 3 to 4 long self starters (in the morning) to turn on the engine. if i need some proper solution he will open the HEAD of car, i avoided that thing. it seems like this is some big issue or mystery. i will try to start the engine in the morning and see if it gets any better.