Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Cool Hyundai Turbo Veloster 150kw

Details on 2013 US Spec

http://www.hyundai.com.au/About-Hyun...charged-Engine

Hyundai Injects Veloster with New Turbocharged Engine

News media release 10th January 2012

Hyundai Motor America has introduced the all-new 2013 Veloster Turbo armed with 150 kW of peak power in a world debut at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS).

2013 Veloster Turbo highlights (exclusive Turbo features for U.S. market)

Powered by a new 1.6-litre Turbocharged-Gasoline Direct Injection (T-GDI) engine and in-house six-speed automatic or manual transmission
Horsepower: 150 kW @ 6000 RPM
Best-in-class highway fuel economy estimated at
6.2 L/100kms(manual transmission)
Best-in-class specific output at 94 kW per litre
Sport-tuned engine intake and exhaust note
Sport-tuned steering
Unique front fascia, fog lights and ground effects
Hyundai Matte Grey paint
Unique 18-inch alloy wheels with chrome inserts
Projection headlights with unique LED headlight accents
Side mirrors with turn signal indicators
Unique LED taillights
Supervision cluster
Leather seating surfaces with driver’s lumbar support
Heated front seats

TWIN-SCROLL TURBOCHARGER AND GDI TECHNOLOGY

The 1.6-litre turbocharged GDI four-cylinder engine in the 2013 Veloster Turbo produces 150 kW @ 6000 rpm and 264 Nm of torque from 1750 – 4500 rpm with standard unleaded fuel. The Veloster Turbo is estimated to deliver 8.7 L/100km city and best-in-class 6.2 L/100km highway for manual transmission models. Hyundai’s 1.6-litre Gamma turbocharged engine features a twin-scroll turbocharger that when combined with the GDI system, results in instantaneous power delivery.

Twin-scroll turbocharger designs have two exhaust gas inlets divided by split walls inside the turbine housing, with both gas passages controlled by a waste-gate. A twin-scroll turbo recovers more energy from the exhaust than a single-scroll turbocharger, thanks to a divided manifold. The twin-scroll design separates the cylinders whose exhaust gas pulses interfere with each other, resulting in improved pressure distribution in the exhaust ports, and a more efficient delivery of exhaust gas energy to the turbocharger’s turbine. Another advantage is improved low-end torque and faster transient torque response.

The twin-scroll turbocharger design has several other advantages over traditional, single-scroll turbo charging systems, including:

Improved combustion efficiency
Low engine-speed efficiency
Kinetic exhaust gas energy is not wasted or trapped
Cooler cylinder temperatures
Lower exhaust temperatures
Leaner air/fuel ratio
Better pressure distribution in the exhaust ports and more efficient delivery of exhaust gas energy to the turbocharger's turbine
Two key features of Hyundai’s twin-scroll turbocharger setup are:
The stainless steel exhaust manifold and the twin-scroll turbine housing are cast in a patent pending one-piece design.
The waste-gate for the turbocharger uses a motor-driven electrical controller instead rather than being mechanically controlled.

Thanks to the integrated stainless-steel turbine housing with the exhaust manifold, not only is the weight and cost of the casting dramatically reduced, the durability of the turbine housing is also improved. In addition, heat energy recovery and thus turbo efficiency is significantly improved based on the fact that a traditional two-piece design effectively insulates some of the heat energy at the joint/gasket area.

By adapting the motor-driven electrical waste-gate, the boost pressure is precisely controlled. The back pressure is reduced when turbo boost is not necessary by opening the waste-gate, which improves fuel efficiency. During cold starts, the waste-gate remains open, which results in faster catalyst light-off for reduced exhaust emissions.

A GDI fuel delivery system contributes to improved fuel efficiency and lower emissions. This shorter, more direct path of fuel delivery allows for greater control of the fuel mixture at the optimum moment, thus improving efficiency. The fuel is injected by a camshaft-driven, high pressure pump operating at pressures up to 2175 psi. Direct injection also utilises a higher-than-normal 9.5 compression ratios, while achieving a best-in-class93.6 kW-per-litre. The piston heads are “dished” to increase combustion efficiency in the cylinder.

CUSTOM TWO-WHEEL TUNER INSPIRATION

Veloster Turbo’s unique design takes inspiration from a custom high-performance sport bike. Hyundai designers have removed the Veloster’s trapezoidal centre exhaust and replaced it with two larger free flowing circular pipes and a new intake manifold allowing engineers to give the engine a more full-bodied sound. From a bigger, bolder hexagonal front grille, through to the sculpted side skirts and new dynamic rear bumper with prominent diffuser vents in the lower fascia.

SPORT-TUNED suspension

McPherson strut front suspension, coil springs, gas shock absorbers and a 24 mm diameter front stabiliser are fitted to all Veloster Turbo models. The rear suspension is a light-weight V-torsion beam, a Hyundai-first, with an integrated 23 mm stabiliser bar to allow bracing of the arms for greater stiffness and to further control body roll. The rear suspension uses monotube shock absorbers for ride comfort.

TRANSMISSIONS

To handle the power enhancements and keep with Hyundai’s commitment to making fuel efficient vehicles, Veloster Turbo is paired with a standard six-speed manual transmission or a six-speed automatic transmission. Both transmissions were developed in house at Hyundai. The manual features a wider gear ratio spread (5.71 vs. 5.25) to handle the additional torque output. The high-revving turbo helps during acceleration, especially at highway speeds.

The Veloster Turbo is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel-mounted paddle-shifter controls rather than the naturally aspirated Vesloster’s DCT. This is due to the increased torque output from the 1.6-litre Turbocharged-GDI engine. The gear ratio spread on the automatic transmission is slightly narrower than the DCT (6.0 vs. 6.38). A narrower spread maintains the engine in the power band when going from one gear to the other. The base Veloster’s DCT is tuned for fuel efficiency and not for the performance feel needed for the Veloster Turbo.

OVERALL DIMENSIONS

The Veloster Turbo has a 265 centimetre wheelbase, while the Veloster Turbo is 3 centimetres longer and 15.2 centimetres widerthan the naturally aspirated Veloster.

ADVANCED STANDARD SAFETY TECHNOLOGIES

All Velosters have an exceptional level of standard safety features highlighted by a Vehicle Stability Management (VSM) system, which optimally manages ESC (Electronic Stability Control) and the Motor-Driven electric Power Steering (MDPS).

VSM works to control two effects. The first is when a driver accelerates or brakes on a surface with varying grip (e.g. slippery on one side and dry on the other) and the vehicle wants to pull in one direction. VSM detects this condition and sends a signal to the MDPS to apply steering assist. VSM counters the pull and automatically provides up to eight Newton meters (Nm) of counter steering. VSM reacts the same way during sudden lane changes or fast cornering.

All Velosters feature six airbags—including dual front, front seat-mounted side-impact, and front and rear side curtain airbags.

Velosters feature a state-of-the-art braking package. The package includes four-wheel disc brakes and an Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) including Brake Assist, to provide maximum braking force when a panic stop is detected, and Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), to automatically adjust the braking force to front and rear axles based on vehicle loading conditions.

Note: Specifications, features and options relate to the U.S. market Veloster Turbo. The naturally aspirated Veloster launches in Australia 12.02.12, whilst launch timing, specification and pricing of Australian Veloster turbo variants are yet to be confirmed.

I like

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook

Last edited by *MAD DOG*; 01-09-2012 at 11:28 PM.
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
digitalrain

Drives: 2011 yaris rs
Wow, I just hated the front end of the 2012 Veloster, but this new one is ok with me. Nice that they changed it right away. Have to give Hyundai credit for being very responsive to critiques by the automotive press or just regular buyers of their cars.

Gotta love the horsepower bump too. Any idea of what the 150kW is in BHP?
digitalrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Saw a 12 model yesterday in my neighborhood, slick looking, but yeah, I'd hold out for the 13 or 14 model.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
digitalrain

Yeah, my father, a car mechanic of over 40 years always said never buy the first year of a new model. Even with all the test driving they do, there's always some stuff that gets by that they don't know about or can't fix in time to get it out in time.

Let someone else be the guinea pig.

Maybe less true these days due to quality improvements, but I think still has some value to it...
Old 01-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalrain View Post
Wow, I just hated the front end of the 2012 Veloster, but this new one is ok with me. Nice that they changed it right away. Have to give Hyundai credit for being very responsive to critiques by the automotive press or just regular buyers of their cars.

Gotta love the horsepower bump too. Any idea of what the 150kW is in BHP?
150kw = 201hp

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
digitalrain

200 bhp sounds much better for the weight it's carrying.

Already liked the interior a lot and the body behind the a pillar. Interested to see what she does with the turbo.

Wish that Toyota could up the BHP as quickly as Hyundai for sure!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Between this and the Dart, 2013 is looking like a good car year!
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hyundai, turbo, veloster