Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
All season or Summer tire?

I got a second set of rims for my Yaris for the summer, current running stock rims on winter tire. Is wondering should I get all season tires or summer tires for the summer?

As I heard all season tire will last longer in terms of tire wear, but have poorer wet traction compare to summer tire. I would like to get something that will last and provide reasonable traction, as I'm not going to race with the Yaris.

Any input will be welcomed! Thank you.
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
The Pirelli P3000 will last forever, good handling and acceptable grip as a summer tire, not to be used in the winter. I now have the Michelin Harmony (another 130000km rated), excellent in the summer, and surprisingly good in the winter as well.
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Bridgestone Potenza G009's or Bridgestone Turanza LST or LSH
some of the best all weather tires one the road, the Turanza's come with a 80k mile warranty, and ride like a dream. We have the G009's on the wife's Alero and I had them on a Saturn, and those kicked ass in the snow and rain and grab around corners when you need it.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Well, I'm more concern about the tire performance in summer, as I already have another set of winter tires. Now just have to make the decision if I should get all season tire OR summer tire for the summer season...
Old 03-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
the new goodyear eagle f1's, ranked number 1 by an independent study, it dethroned the bfg's. because it was slightly better in the rain. if i had money to spend this will be the tire. but my personal choice would be advan neovas, they grip like a mofo.

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

To be honest, I'm actually thinking to get Kumho, because of the low price and quite promising performance reported by people around, and now want to make a choice between all season or summer tire.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
SailDesign

Drives: .
Have to admit I love my Toyo Proxes 4s. And I'm (was) a confirmed BFG guy.
I guess things do change.....
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #8
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabL View Post
To be honest, I'm actually thinking to get Kumho, because of the low price and quite promising performance reported by people around, and now want to make a choice between all season or summer tire.
I have 205/40/17 Kumho ECSTA ASX'S which are an Ultra High Performance All Season. I really like them but don't have anything to compare them to. I got them because Tirerack.com rates traction for different conditions and these rated very well. Their cheap too.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:05 AM   #9
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

falken

kumho are ok, they are korean made. but i hear korean rubber is not good as japan rubber. but they are descent tires. if you're going that route, compare it to the falken fk452, very quiet and are ultra high performance. good for wet/dry conditions. treadwear rated at 300. speed rated w, so go check out the fk452, thats what i plan to get on my yaris.

Last edited by sdmf; 03-07-2007 at 09:36 AM. Reason: added info
Old 03-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
kumho are ok, they are korean made. but i hear korean rubber is not good as japan rubber. but they are descent tires. if you're going that route, compare it to the falken fk452, very quiet and are ultra high performance. good for wet/dry conditions. treadwear rated at 300. speed rated w, so go check out the fk452, thats what i plan to get on my yaris.
That's what I have on mine, no complaints, decent price, plenty of grip, handles tropical rainstorms quite well And the tread pattern looks decently sporty, if that is of importance to you

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #11
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

falken for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
That's what I have on mine, no complaints, decent price, plenty of grip, handles tropical rainstorms quite well And the tread pattern looks decently sporty, if that is of importance to you
i spent 8 years in asia, the philippines to be specific. i have tried alot of different tires over there before they were sold in the us. i did like the grb 451's. the fk452's are its replacement. i would recommend the azenis 615 but that basically a racing tire, low treadlife. super grip. since advan neova's are just too expensive im gonna stick with falkens.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:37 PM   #12
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Where were you guys when I was tire shopping? Now I'm stuck with my Kumho's... Oh well I really like them.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #13
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I used to always buy a high-performance all-season tire. My last set I went to a summer tire (Yokohama AVS ES100) and I love them! They are NOT for the snow or colder temps, but the difference is very noticable in the summer.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #14
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

oh i so wanted those

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
I used to always buy a high-performance all-season tire. My last set I went to a summer tire (Yokohama AVS ES100) and I love them! They are NOT for the snow or colder temps, but the difference is very noticable in the summer.
i so wanted the es100's but i researched them and they arent as sticky as they look. they look aggressive but the reviews were a little poor. so ended up with ventus k104's. which were rated better all around compared to the es100's and the pirelli p6000's

Old 03-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #15
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
If you are in it for performance and don't mind the expense then having a separate set of winter and summer tires is something you won't mind.

However, if you are in it for safety or fuel mileage then you have no reason to go to the trouble and expense of maintaining two sets of tires. Anything with an M+S designation will do just fine in wet weather. Some summer tires may perform a touch better in wet conditions but not by such a margin that it justifies the hassle or expense. When it comes to mileage you can indeed squeeze an extra 1 or 2 MPG out of summer tires but that would literally take many years longer than the tires would last to pay for itself, especially if you're only driving on them for half the year.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote