Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
I might postpone this to spring time though... as it is friggin' cold around here now :D
Pop one of your front wheels off and slip in a spacer without changing the studs. You should have enough exposed thread to temporarily tack the wheel in place. That will at least let you know if 10mm in the front is what you're looking for.

You won't have enough stud length in the rears to do that though with the 15mm.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
Lars
Yaris beginner

Drives: Yaris XP9F
^ So... mine should be 15mm longer... not a big difference to 17mm longer... you're saying there's no way they will fit in the rear wheels?
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #21
WeeYari

The 62mm studs, no I could not get in. I'm borrowing the following pic which shows, like I previously mentioned the possibility of having enough room by removing a shoe.

I found an extra extended stud that I had purchased when I discovered the Ichiba ones were too long. Despite what I had mentioned a few posts back, I ended up getting OE + 5mm (50mm). These I was able to wiggle in, and still had ample thread for the 10mm spacer. That said, you should be fine with a 55mm stud in the back. Any longer than that and I'd say you'd be in the same boat I was.

This is becoming an horribly long, and potentially confusing discussion on stud length. Hopefully some others will chime in eventually as plenty of 10mm+ wheel spacers have been installed in this community.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #22
Lars
Yaris beginner

But I got 15mm spacers for the back, so if I understand correctly from what you're saying, I'm headed for disaster, but I will let you know

EDIT: Not confusing... for 10mm spacers you should have a 55mm stud, for my 15mm spacers, I guess I have 60mm studs, because OE studs are 45mm... What's confusing about this?

And, you're saying that I should have problems with studs bigger than 55mm, which means spacers thicker than 10mm... in the back.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #23
WeeYari

Yes, I am well aware that you are putting 15mm spacers in the rear. What I am saying is a 55mm stud back there should be ample for those spacers. Any longer than that and I'm thinking some tear down will be required in the drum to get them in.

How about you measure the length of the studs H&R shipped and we'll see what you are faced with.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #24
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post

Its only four bolts to pull the entire hub, and then you don't have to screw around with the rear brakes at all - I find it a much bigger pain in the @ss to fight those drum brake springs/clips than it is to pull the four hub bolts. Added bonus when you take the hub off, you can stand at your work bench and replace the studs instead of sitting on the floor.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #25
WeeYari

Good info Jason. I thought that those 4 bolts released the entire drum/hub assembly from the axle beam. Didn't realize that the hub would then also separate from the drum. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #26
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Correct. Also the way you install the hub spacer!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #27
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Good info Jason. I thought that those 4 bolts released the entire drum/hub assembly from the axle beam. Didn't realize that the hub would then also separate from the drum. Thanks.
It does release all of it, but between the parking brake cable and brake hardline the drum assembly will stay in place.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #28
Lars
Yaris beginner

So you're telling me that if I unscrew those four bolts that can be seen from those big holes on the plate where the studs are (I'm guessing that's what you call the hub?) I can just take the hub away from the "wheel" and replace the studs? That's surely good info if I can't make the stud fit somehow.

Just measured the stud. 62 mm, so not very different from the 60 predicted!

Last edited by Lars; 12-13-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #29
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
So you're telling me that if I unscrew those four bolts that can be seen from the those big holes on the plate where the studs are (I'm guessing that's what you call the hub?) I can just take the hub away from the "wheel" and replace the studs? That's surely good info if I can't make the stud fit somehow.

Just measured the stud. 62 mm, so not very different from the 60 predicted!
Exactly, makes it much easier. *If you have ABS you will need to unplug the wire on the back.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #30
Lars
Yaris beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Exactly, makes it much easier. *If you have ABS you will need to unplug the wire on the back.
Great, thanks for that. I'm guessing the wire on the back should be easy to spot and unplug, but would you be so kind as to post a picture of that, if possible?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #31
Lars
Yaris beginner

Quote:
Yes, I am well aware that you are putting 15mm spacers in the rear. What I am saying is a 55mm stud back there should be ample for those spacers. Any longer than that and I'm thinking some tear down will be required in the drum to get them in.

How about you measure the length of the studs H&R shipped and we'll see what you are faced with.
Welll.... ok!

Let me dig this up! It has been about half a year now? :D

I've just posted a thread in the Wheels/Tires/Etc section with my "walkthrough"...

Interestingly enough, as you predicted, WeeYari, not enough space for the 15 mm spacer studs... and, by mistake :p I installed the 15 mm spacers with the studs from the 10 mm spacers lol... I get about 7 complete turns with this combination. Do you think it's ok?

Let me know! Thanks!!
Old 05-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #32
Lars
Yaris beginner

Delete!

Last edited by Lars; 06-06-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Tags
wheel spacers diy