Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-29-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Ethanol Free Gas Stations

Came across this website: http://pure-gas.org

and thought that someone here would be interested. I know that it was interesting to me ... in hope to get maybe better gas mileage.

Be sure to change to your state/province at the bottom area of the screen.

Last edited by edmscan; 08-29-2012 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Made website more generic.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
b20vteg
no show, no go :(

Drives: 2012 yaris 3dr hb
Send a message via MSN to b20vteg
awesome! too bad none of the cities listed are close to me at all

anyone know how good costco gas is?
b20vteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
edmscan

I see that ALL the stations in my area are Octane 91 (which of course is like 10 cents / liter or 38 cents a US gallon more). So the big question is ..

Is it worth it (as far as getting better fuel economy) to put 91 octane gas in a Yaris when Toyota I believe only requires 87 octane ?

Is there any possible damage (other than to your wallet) in using 91 octane gas in a Yaris ?

I can handle the financial difference .. as long as there is some benefit to running a higher octane gasoline.

Anyone have any thoughts ?
Old 08-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #4
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20vteg View Post
anyone know how good costco gas is?
I did see a Costco 91 Octane in the listing ... don't know if that's what you wanted to know.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I see that ALL the stations in my area are Octane 91 (which of course is like 10 cents / liter or 38 cents a US gallon more). So the big question is ..

Is it worth it (as far as getting better fuel economy) to put 91 octane gas in a Yaris when Toyota I believe only requires 87 octane ?
It's been tested many times, nope...
Quote:
Is there any possible damage (other than to your wallet) in using 91 octane gas in a Yaris ?
nope...
Quote:
I can handle the financial difference .. as long as there is some benefit to running a higher octane gasoline.

Anyone have any thoughts ?
Theoretically, the only advantage you would have is when you rev the engine at very high RPMs, the ECU could apply a higher spark advance and thus make a little more power... But I have not personally seen any evidence for this...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Been using that site for awhile. The advantage (at least for me) is gas without ethanol. Ethanol fuel attracts water and if you operate yard equipment with plastic gas tanks the water tears them up. Same with cycles if you don't operate those on a daily basis. Boaters play hell with ethanol gas as there is no more let it sit till next time. They have to or should drain their tanks after each use or go to the expense of installing multiple fuel filters. I've even read that a few of the older vehicles have problems with ethanol eating the seals. I know on the Norton cycle with the glass tanks, ethanol ate the liner on mine and I had to go to a metal tank.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Thanks for posting up. Out of all of the list for Michigan, only one of them is slightly nearby. All of the rest are up north at the top of the state and in the middle of BFE
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
NONE in east Texas
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
NONE in east Texas
You have to remember that the site only displays information that people have provided.

So .. check out your local gas stations to see if they have ethanol. More than likely ... the 91 Octane or higher are the ones that are ethanol free.

Apparently .. in Texas it is a requirement to display if the gas has ethanol content as shown below.

Texas - TX (1 % or higher)

If you think you are having a hard time in Texas ... check out California, there are only 5 stations listed for the entire state.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Ethanol is a crime.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
Wow, thanks my mpgs won't suffer this winter.
Killchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
mtlguy

Drives: 2010 yaris Sedan
I tested the Costco 91 gas and it contained NO ethanol. You can pick up a ethanol test kit for $20, or do it yourself (it's really easy). I also tested Esso, Petro T, shell (not V) and all had 15% ethanol.

Shell V power also had no ethanol.

Corn is made to eat, not to feed our cars ..as monsanto wishes.

Ethanol has no business being in cars.
Period.
mtlguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
I tested the Costco 91 gas and it contained NO ethanol. You can pick up a ethanol test kit for $20, or do it yourself (it's really easy). I also tested Esso, Petro T, shell (not V) and all had 15% ethanol.

Shell V power also had no ethanol.

Corn is made to eat, not to feed our cars ..as monsanto wishes.

Ethanol has no business being in cars.
Period.
Thanks for your work ... I personally I think I am going to try a tank of Shell V 91 Octane when my current tank is done. Like the extra 4-5$ isn't going to kill me.

I live in Alberta (Edmonton) .. so a fill with Premium gas is probably still cheaper than filling up with regular in just about anywhere else in the country. So .. I should consider myself lucky that I live in Alberta where we have cheap gas.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:26 AM   #14
edmscan

So far .. I am not experiencing any significant improvement in fuel economy with Ethanol free gas. In fact I don't know if there is ANY improvement. (I am running 91 Octane Shell Gold Ethanol free gas) I won't know for a week or so, but will post my results when I have my next fill up.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #15
charles nelson

Drives: red Liftback
Minnesota is talking about going to a mandatory 20% ethanol. I checked with my local Yaris dealer...he said and I confirmed with Toyota that such a high level would void my warranty. They were pretty rigid on stating that owners should not use ethanol greater than 10%.
And with our tropical/arctic swings in climate...old ethanol is terrible on vehicle engines. My dealer recommends at least two tank fills per month to make sure that old gas is flushed out as soon as possible. I have had a lot of repairs after putting ethanol in lawn mowers, chain saws etc...they all had to have their carbs cleaned out.
My problem is that my Yaris is used as a short haul commuter vehicle on medium speed highways. I hardly ever fill monthly...
so following my Yaris dealers advice I add some 'Stabil' fuel conditioner to each fill.
charles nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #16
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles nelson View Post
Minnesota is talking about going to a mandatory 20% ethanol. I checked with my local Yaris dealer...he said and I confirmed with Toyota that such a high level would void my warranty. They were pretty rigid on stating that owners should not use ethanol greater than 10%.
That really sucks. Time to move.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
Luckily, there is a filling station very close to me that sells non-ethanol gasoline in all grades for the exact same price as the other stations that are selling the E-10 gasoline. Yay!

While it may make little to no difference in fuel economy, yet for the same price, I feel the pure gas is the better deal for the long term longevity of my engine.

Does anyone else ageee with my resaoning?

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #18
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
I agree, one reason being the station selling the good "real" gas should be rewarded with your business. I go so far as to tell my friends and get them to also buy the good stuff. I also mention to the station manager that I appreciate it, and will give him all my fueling business/ Money talks!
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote