Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
painting my car

I'd like to put a white frost over my blue car. Maybe 25% white fading from front to back and top to bottom. The effect would look like the car flew through an icey cloud and sat out in a heavy frost. Anyway, any ideas how to get this done either by myself or Maco or a similar place. I got a qoute of 4k which at a very reputable place which, until I sell a lot of oil, just ain't gonna work.
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Why not see if vinyl graphics can do the same thing. It would be a lot cheaper and removable when you get tired of it.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Why not see if vinyl graphics can do the same thing. It would be a lot cheaper and removable when you get tired of it.
+1 I'd go this route. Even if it's pricey, it's worth being able to undo it. You never know when you'll be tired of your "icy" Yaris.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerdot View Post
The effect would look like the car flew through an icey cloud and sat out in a heavy frost. Anyway, any ideas how to get this done either by myself
You could always drive through an icey cloud and sit out in a heavy frost.. ;)

Seriously though, if I was gonna spend more than 500 on a paint job, it better have a lifetime guarantee
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
Vinyl is an option, but I'm willing to "commit" to help create the look I want to help me market Trulube.com. Vinyl is changable if I get it wrong though. I'll try to post my XBOX 360 Yaris to get some opinions from all you guys. So far nobody has held back...
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Seriously though, if I was gonna spend more than 500 on a paint job, it better have a lifetime guarantee
Apparently you haven't been to a body shop in a long time. You can't get shit done for $500.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerFlosser View Post
Apparently you haven't been to a body shop in a long time. You can't get shit done for $500.
no kidding, i couldnt get my bumper painted, off the car, with no taping needed for less than 350
Old 11-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
supmet
Banned

Maaco has the "presidential service" which is a step above the cheapest paint job for 250 dollars...

I'm pretty sure they would do a bumper for 30 or 40, you got bent over alex.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
do you have a concept pic?
Old 11-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
DerFlosser

Quote:
Maaco has the "presidential service" which is a step above the cheapest paint job for 250 dollars...

I'm pretty sure they would do a bumper for 30 or 40, you got bent over alex.
What? It just isn't possible to paint a car for that kind of money. I have never see a maaco paint job where the clear coat did not peel off within 1 year. You can't walk into a body shop and get anything done for $500 and the more overhead...the more expensive. It cost me $10,000 to paint my M3 and that was an "under the table" cash job. Granted it's a show car paint job but there is not one minor collision and or minor work that isn't going to cost atleast $500 or north.

Maaco.....god! Don't send the guy there!
Old 11-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
advocate

Drives: car
I saw a cheap ad for a Maaco paint job too. Sounded temping but you do get what you pay for...
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #12
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
i got my rear RS rear bumper done for 420. its quality. alot of sanding and fixing was needed too, but..yeah...it looked great in the end. i would be prepared to spend somewhere north of 1500. its not a full repaint..looks like it could be like..a glitter clearcoat :P (i dunno lol)
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #13
supmet
Banned

lol.. well maaco has an ad up for doing it for 250, so I guess its possible. Paint is like 50-500 bucks a gallon.. the yaris will probably take 2 gallons, if that, and unless you're doing a show job its less than a day of labor. 1500 max, 500 for medium grade paint, 250 for cheap stuff.

I can't imagine a bumper taking more than a quart, but even if it took 2, you can get that for 160(at consumer prices), and there's no way it should take longer than an hour to do a bumper. Or - buy a compressor, paint gun, paint, and enough plastic sheeting to cover your garage for 350 bucks, and have a compressor and paint gun left over..

You guys act like 3000 dollars of the 11,500 invoice went towards paint.. Your factory paint probably cost toyota 150 dollars, and would cost any body shop 3-400 dollars to do.

but my original point was, if I was going to spend 1/6th or 1/3 the price of the car on paint, it better have a lifetime guarantee.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #14
advocate

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet
Paint is like 50-500 bucks a gallon.. the yaris will probably take 2 gallons, if that, and unless you're doing a show job its less than a day of labor. 1500 max, 500 for medium grade paint, 250 for cheap stuff.
Good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet
but my original point was, if I was going to spend 1/6th or 1/3 the price of the car on paint, it better have a lifetime guarantee.
I would agree.

P.S. I like the Dinosaris
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:15 AM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
lazerdot, do a full vinyl wrap, then you can get your effect and promote your business.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:01 AM   #16
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
My mom got her van painted at macco about 10 years ago. The paint actually looks really good still. And she never waxes the car and only washes it once and awile. I think the key to her good paint job was the fact that she always washed her car with dish soap. So when it got there the paint was completed stripped of wax and residue. Which resulted in good ahesion with the paint. And possibly had a good bodyman that did good job prepping.

So just all depends on which one you go to. But i swear 10 years later in the sun with maybe 2 car washes a year and never had wax the car still looks really good.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #17
DerFlosser

Quote:
lol.. well maaco has an ad up for doing it for 250, so I guess its possible. Paint is like 50-500 bucks a gallon.. the yaris will probably take 2 gallons, if that, and unless you're doing a show job its less than a day of labor. 1500 max, 500 for medium grade paint, 250 for cheap stuff.

I can't imagine a bumper taking more than a quart, but even if it took 2, you can get that for 160(at consumer prices), and there's no way it should take longer than an hour to do a bumper. Or - buy a compressor, paint gun, paint, and enough plastic sheeting to cover your garage for 350 bucks, and have a compressor and paint gun left over..

You guys act like 3000 dollars of the 11,500 invoice went towards paint.. Your factory paint probably cost toyota 150 dollars, and would cost any body shop 3-400 dollars to do.

You've got it all wrong. The paint is the least expensive of all components. The paint is CHEAP. It's the correct prep that takes all of the time and costs all of the money. Anybody can buy an air compressor and some paint! Give these guys some credit....there is an art and science to good bodywork/paintwork. You make it sounds like any old Joe can do it. For example.....my father's 63 SWC had a full paintjob that cost $30,000. The amt of time spent on the car was unbelievable and that doesn't just include pre-paint....it accounts for all of the sanding and buff time after the paint is laid down. Very, very time intensive and there is a LONG line of people willing to plop down the money to have this guy paint their car. The paint is just jaw-dropping. As usual, in this arena, you get what you pay for and the numbers you came up with to properly paint a yaris are just ridiculous.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #18
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
you are wrong. there is no reason for a non-competition paint job on a daily driver to cost more than 500-1500, and it will last as long as you take care of it.

i have no doubt that those $30,000 paint jobs are worth every penny. but you are talking about show quality painting, with an attention to detail, prep, and post work that is just flat out unnecessary and not noticeable when it comes to your average daily driver.

you do get what you pay for, however what you pay for with a 500-1500 dollar paint job is not as bas some of you paint snobs are making it out to be.
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote