Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Switch to 5w20

the first 13,000 miles on my car I ran regular 5w30 oil from the dealership, the next 8 changes I ran synthetic (usually Mobil 1 5w30). I didn't really see an increase in fuel efficiency when I made the jump to synthetic... if there was an improvement... it was within 1mpg.

For kicks, I decided to put in Mobil 1 5w20, and see if there will be a measurable difference in fuel efficiency. Between friday & monday this weekend, i'll be driving over 1000 miles, 95% highway from 55-75mph. Looks like temps will vary between 35F to 50F.

I think the biggest chance of a noticeable increase in efficiency won't be on highway driving, but actually on short trips in which the engine has to warm up from a cold state.... such as my 9.3mile commute to work in the morning.

Who knows... we'll try this very unscientific venture and see what happens.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I wouldn't expect much of a difference.

You'd save more money by simply changing the oil less often.

Mine has had 4 oil changes. 5,000 miles at the dealer before I bought it, once by me shortly thereafter when I switched to synthetic. Once at 15k, and just a couple weeks ago at 30k.

If you're running Mobil 1, there's no reason in the world to NOT run it for 12-15k miles or more.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post

Mine has had 4 oil changes. 5,000 miles at the dealer before I bought it, once by me shortly thereafter when I switched to synthetic. Once at 15k, and just a couple weeks ago at 30k.

If you're running Mobil 1, there's no reason in the world to NOT run it for 12-15k miles or more.
unfortunately there is reason for me to change every 5k.... I made the mistake of buying the warranty coverage up to 80,000 miles... As soon as I get up to 80,000, i'll be running royal purple and only changing the oil every 15k, and oil filter every 5k.

like I said, i'm not expecting much, if anything from the change to w20, but thought i'd try it out just to make sure.

i'm at 41k miles, and just did my 9th oil change.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Quote:

God,
Please don't wait that long to change your oil. At the least, the oil should be changed every 6 months for contamination.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Putting a new filter on every 5000 miles is like changing the oil when using synthetic. Also adding a powerful magnet to the oil filter helps even further by trapping any microscopic metallic particles inside the filter.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerFlosser View Post
God,
Please don't wait that long to change your oil. At the least, the oil should be changed every 6 months for contamination.
If that's how you feel, that's fine. My opinion is that if you're going to change the oil every 5,000 miles or every 6 months, you get no benefit from using synthetic oil. If that's what you feel you need to do, buy cheaper dino oil.

/end holy war oil debate

Old 02-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
DerFlosser

Quote:
If that's how you feel, that's fine. My opinion is that if you're going to change the oil every 5,000 miles or every 6 months, you get no benefit from using synthetic oil. If that's what you feel you need to do, buy cheaper dino oil.

/end holy war oil debate

Ha...ha. Yeah....it's like the Middle East.

Of course using synthetic is better for other reasons aside from the mere fact that the oil is serviceable longer and the marginal cost delta should be a no brainer when compared to conventional. One should use synthetic and change it every 6 months or 5K miles, whichever occurs first.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Thread reopened...... ok NOW it is closed....
Old 02-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
the first 13,000 miles on my car I ran regular 5w30 oil from the dealership, the next 8 changes I ran synthetic (usually Mobil 1 5w30). I didn't really see an increase in fuel efficiency when I made the jump to synthetic... if there was an improvement... it was within 1mpg.

For kicks, I decided to put in Mobil 1 5w20, and see if there will be a measurable difference in fuel efficiency. Between friday & monday this weekend, i'll be driving over 1000 miles, 95% highway from 55-75mph. Looks like temps will vary between 35F to 50F.

I think the biggest chance of a noticeable increase in efficiency won't be on highway driving, but actually on short trips in which the engine has to warm up from a cold state.... such as my 9.3mile commute to work in the morning.

Who knows... we'll try this very unscientific venture and see what happens.

the 5w is the same, and that is the cold viscosity. I don't think you will
detect a bit of difference, or have any problem whatsoever either.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:

"Guaranteed performance and protection for up to 15,000 miles."

And that's Mobil 1's claim for their Extended Performance oil, not the regular Mobil 1, so I guess I'll just drain my 0w-30 Mobil 1 out at 5,000 and have Blackstone test the additive package when I let them do the UOA; they'll usually recommend a proper OCI based on the additive package test results.

That way I'll know what this oil is doing in this Yaris, instead of just going by how some other oil (Extended Performance, HP & SS Amsoil, etc...) tested in another test vehicle, pretending that somebody elses "UOA" pertains to me.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 02-12-2010 at 08:41 AM.
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
oh come on, you know y'all want another oil fight, right? I know a mechanic who works at a high end dealership. He takes all those fancy cars who use expensive synthetic oils for 5000 miles and the oil is basically brand new, so new in fact he then uses it in his own vehicles.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
oh come on, you know y'all want another oil fight, right? I know a mechanic who works at a high end dealership. He takes all those fancy cars who use expensive synthetic oils for 5000 miles and the oil is basically brand new, so new in fact he then uses it in his own vehicles.
I believe it. I used to run synthetic in my Miata for 6-8k miles without worry, occasionally even getting close to 10k. When I took the cam cover off of my Miata at 80,000 miles, it looked brand new inside.

I decided to boldly go to a 15k synthetic oil change interval after my wife bought her MINI Cooper. The Cooper comes from the factory with synthetic oil and the change interval is determined by the computer based on how it is driven. Her FIRST oil change came due at about 10k, and each one since has been right at 15k. This is a factory-specified interval for synthetic oil in a modern 4-cylinder car.

I've also seen plenty of oil analysis reports for similar cars, including the Yaris (the info is out there if you search hard enough), who run good synthetic oil for 12k, 15k, 18k... and sometimes more. I'm comfortable with 15k.

I've decided to just run high-mileage synthetic oil and change it "religiously" every 15k miles.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #13
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Oils are so good these days that running 10k between changes is a piece of cake, plus at 10k its easy to remember when an oil change is due.
But a lot of people are still deriving some placebo effect by wasting money and resources on 3-5k oil change intervals. probably the same people who think the recommended regular gas is in some way inferior and so use the Top Tier Super Deluxe Supreme Gold High Test Premium gas that guarantees 20 extra hp and better gas mileage
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #14
DerFlosser

Loren,
I have no question in my mind that Mini wants their oil changed at the longest possible intervals. That's because they want to get you into the dealership for service and bend you over with no lube. I have heard nightmare after nightmare over on NAM forums regarding dealerships absurds costs/pricing along with flat out denial of warranty work. If the Mini is turbocharged....I HIGHLY recommend increasing the OCI.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #15
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerFlosser View Post
Loren,
I have no question in my mind that Mini wants their oil changed at the longest possible intervals. That's because they want to get you into the dealership for service and bend you over with no lube. I have heard nightmare after nightmare over on NAM forums regarding dealerships absurds costs/pricing along with flat out denial of warranty work. If the Mini is turbocharged....I HIGHLY recommend increasing the OCI.
And with the Yaris being known for its fuel dilution problem, even prompting Amsoil to issue a warning about following Toyota's normal OCI replacement (5k miles) for their 25k mile rated oil filter, I sure wouldn't choose an OCI based on how other vehicles do.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 02-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #16
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
And with the Yaris being known for its fuel dilution problem, even prompting Amsoil to issue a warning about following Toyota's normal OCI replacement (5k miles) for their 25k mile rated oil filter, I sure wouldn't choose an OCI based on how other vehicles do.

What fuel dilution problem? I'm fairly new to the Yaris, and I don't know what you are talking about. The Yaris is known to allow unburnt fuel to get into the crank case and dilute the oil?

For everyone offering suggestions for oil change intervals, please qualify your recommendations by stating the driving conditions that you are assuming.

Driving conditions would be a MAJOR factor in determining the optimum OCI, other things being equal. A car always driven on the highway is not going to need to have the oil changed as often as would be the case for a car that sees a lot of cold starts, short trips, and idling in traffic.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #17
1stToyota

That's about the first time I've mentioned the fuel dilution problem here, I've read what other YW members (iirc, R2D2, Lazerdot... ) have stated over the last several months; use the search function. Concerning the problem, you'll discover Amsoil's statements about our engine and their Ea oil filter, etc... Thanks.

And, yes, like I stated before, I'm doing an UOA for my oil, driving conditions and my Yaris, instead of basing OCIs on results of how a different vehicle(s) using different oils, with different driving conditions did with their UOA.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 02-12-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #18
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
a few days after doing an oil change I decided to look under the car to make sure there were no leaks and discovered that outside of the oil pan was drenched with beads of water . This was from driving the car the evening before and the hot oil / metal meeting the very cold temps overnight . So I'd think there'd be moisture collecting inside the pan . This could lead to fuel dilution too . Thus , I'm sticking to the 5,000 mile oil change . Even though I use a synthetic . Got to think about warranty as well . Last , we a have a very steep hill of 2 miles to climb not long after leaving our home . Everyone has their reasons for using a synthetic . Plus I get synthetic for less than $3 a quart when on sale . Live and let live .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote