Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #19
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Wow, I just put lots of deadening and used a closed cell foam mattress to stuff into the open spaces in the rear hatchback wheel well area, and the difference in road noise is considerable already! Its like the noise picture shifted to dead silence from the back of the car, and noise coming only from the front, engine and doors.

This was easier than I feared! Just rip those panels off, clean up the dust, rip out the old speaker, lay down mat, fill up with foam, slap the panel back on, wipe off the fingerprints and test drive. Like 40 minutes per side.

I am so kicking myself for not doing this sooner! I've been so annoyed with the noise in the Yaris.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #20
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
One of the installs I was involved with included an IDQ 10" woofer. We had it plugged into a quality amplifier to say the least. It was receiving as much as 600 very clean Watts. That little 10" would lift the back deck carpeting on demand and not even think twice about it.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with using 10"s.
except going with twice as many 8's looks cooler! Nothing like seeing an install of 8 or more 8's wangin in the back... seeing lots of cones moving at the same time is a cool visual.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #21
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
One of the installs I was involved with included an IDQ 10" woofer. We had it plugged into a quality amplifier to say the least. It was receiving as much as 600 very clean Watts. That little 10" would lift the back deck carpeting on demand and not even think twice about it.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with using 10"s.

I can testify on this one.

I put one Alpine Type R 10" sub in a ported box in the hatch of my 3dr Yaris, and it ROCKS.
It's getting 400watts RMS.

I have always been a fan of 10" subs in cars.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #22
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Yeah...I toyed with the idea of doing eight ID 8's in the back of the sedan...

I then thought about my KISS principle and just went with two IDQ 12's.
that is simple... it's a lot of simple. omi-directional... unless you got a lot of distortion coming from them that's not an issue. I'd think the KISS principle would matter most with signal processing, crossovers, and everything above 100hz.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #23
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
...and then I thought about a single IDMAX 12 off that 1200.1...

I need to STOP thinking though. It is seriously hampering my direction. As much as I like the IDMAX, I still don't think it would have the output of two IDQ 12 woofers. I also don't sincerely think I would hear a difference in that frequency range.

Taln,

You're right on the KISS principle statement. I've chosen to worry about the simple part of the install and deal with the top end as I get there. The days are coutning down.

Oh, after SBN in Daytona this weekend, I should have some good pictures of a vehicle that doesn't officially exist for another 18 hours yet. If you like sound, stick around, I should have something for you...
you know.. there is always that 21" maelstrom.... or this DPL 15" which has a Fs of 19hz, a linear motor with 22mm one-way x-max... and would work great in an IB install.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #24
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
okay butthead! I just had a thought flash through my mind...

There's NO NEED FOR THINKING! I hate thinking! I'm in the military, there's NO requisite to think here! LOL!
dude... i've talked to you on the phone like once... but man... we should really meet up some time when you get back. Don't you owe me a trip out to eugene anyways, I swear you were supposed to watch a buddy's fight, but then didn't come last minute for some lame reason.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #25
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
I know there are several shows up in Cananda I'l be making. I'll also be doing the Portland Auto Show this next year (if Jim plunks down money for the space like he wants to), as well as the Rod and Custom Show. Oh! There's also the Sherwood Cruise In and Auto Show too.
How do you find out about all these shows? any shows around Massachusetts area?

I would like to go.

Thanks
D.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #26
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
The USACI and IASCA sites have quite a few shows posted. Plus you go to one show and people see that you're an alright dude, You'll deff here about more local shows.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #27
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Something like that. It's been over a year, maybe two now.

I've gotta get this project on it's feet and standing up within 30 days of me being back. How about this, I'll satiate you by sending you the build pics first. Are you down for a trip up to BC here this year? I know there are several shows up in Cananda I'l be making. I'll also be doing the Portland Auto Show this next year (if Jim plunks down money for the space like he wants to), as well as the Rod and Custom Show. Oh! There's also the Sherwood Cruise In and Auto Show too.
If I make it up to canada this year... it'll be on my honeymoon. I'm in the process of trying to be hired as a Probation Officer.... I've made it past the interview stage, but there's still background check/psych eval, and then I have to be one of the few picked from a group of 9... If I get that job I may be able to put the cash together... but really... i've got too many expenses going right now.. I've been supporting myself, and partially supporting the fiancee off my meager salary since august... and debt has been slowly accumulating as a result. Portland show is possible for sure.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #28
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Not much only:

05/23/10 12:00 1 IMPORT FACE OFF EPPING NH

All ready in my calendar.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #29
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
I'm in the process of trying to be hired as a Probation Officer.... I've made it past the interview stage, but there's still background check/psych eval

Psych eval?
You might as well forget it then!

Old 03-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #30
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Not much only:

05/23/10 12:00 1 IMPORT FACE OFF EPPING NH

All ready in my calendar.
it's barely march... most shows for autosound happen in the summer... come april/may you should start to see stuff popping up... I remember the virginia area being pretty big when it came to shows... A few years back I wanted to Join IASCA, but they didn't have a single show in WA, so I didn't... joined dB Drags instead.... then found out there was only like 3 sanctioned shows that year in the state.... So I lost faith in the whole thing... THEN I MET the guy who runs/owns dB Drags.... the tool lived literally 15 minutes away from me. I think he purposely felt the need for there to be no autosound comp scene where he lived... otherwise his work would always be around him.... Ok maybe not... but really... its like if God live not in heaven, but rather in hell.... doesn't make sense... make some improvements dangit!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #31
_S7V7N_

Texas is the place to be for IASCA and USACI, they damn near have a show every other weekend. Here in Florida there's quite a few shows, but they're more towards ricers, the big one that comes here to Orlando is Hot Import Nights. That is one Hot show, No lie.

Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
Old 03-13-2010, 12:14 AM   #32
_S7V7N_

My work schedule screws me up, I'm off Weds and Thurs and work Evenings Friday through Tuesday. Soon as my cars in line though i'm going to tell them i need at least one sunday outta the month off, and get some shows in line.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #33
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
An update...

Jim and Justin are "talking dirty" to me about puting the L4 up on/in the dash. They've had a few months of the Yaris just sitting in the back of the shop. They put the alarm in it and tinted the thing, so they had time to look at the dash.

...If I can get the L4 and the L1 Pro SE up there in the same vicinity...

Oh, that will free up the kick area to take the L8 right in the corners of the footwells. Since we havce the sytrofoam "filler" down there, I can use that space to glass in the mid bass.

It has been said, once you go to the floor, you'll never use the door!

Oh man! 30 days until I see my car to finish it.

Audio heaven will ensue.
In my mazda I had my koda 8's (4" mounting depth) in glass pods in my kicks... it was AWESOME for midbass... very tight... and very strong. they had something like .15 -.2cuft sealed. The mazda was an auto.... the yaris is not.... I think i'd have trouble glassing them in the kicks if I tried... I do wear a size 12... plus, that's where I plan on putting my 4's... but if you can do it.. thats awesome.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:53 PM   #34
_S7V7N_

Cool deal bro...Welcome back to the states !

Old 04-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #35
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Send a message via AIM to The Architect
pics of crimper bc i dont believe it.

(3) 12" Alpine Type R Subs/Hifonics BXi1208D
Hifonics ZXi6.5c / 2006 Kicker ZX350.4
Knu Fleks 1/0 Wiring & In Big 3
Optima Yellow Top Battery/Iraggi HO Alternator
Alpine CDA-105, KCA-420i/KCA-121b/KCE-400BT
PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
The Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #36
goku87

Drives: Black HB
Beer is pretty much the universal currency lol. Can't wait to see the final product!!!

Not gonna lie, I use a combination of hammer/pliers to crimp. It's just so much easier lol.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote