Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-20-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
Hitikiro

Drives: yaris
Worth it? Yaris RS

Hi guys/gals

Long time lurker here. I have been going in circles looking for a new "used" car. I am needing it for work and was originally set on getting a Yaris but also considered the Trix/Vibe. Now I just found a RS on CL for $9900 http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...436977600.html. I am hoping to negotiate a bit on the price. If I can what should I counter-offer?

Even though I can't drive manual I am willing to learn. This will be my first car and I was wondering if the price is right for this Yaris posted on CL. The car looks pretty clean but I will definitely have to do my due diligence (i.e. BCAA 143 point inspection, CarProof, etc). Any ways let me know what your thoughts on this guys.

PS:I don't know the year but I will definitely have to check with the CL poster.

Here is the email I sent to the CL poster:

The words denoted red is his response to my email.

Hi There:

What year is the Yaris? 2006 Are you the original owner? No . It is a 5 speed so I am guessing a manual tranny? Yes. Any major/minor accidents? Minor. Is the price negotiable? A small amount. What is the reason for selling? Don't need 2 vehicles Are you willing to let BCAA to do a 143 inspection? Yes. I am looking into getting my first car and was hoping on getting something that is reliable and affordable for work.

Cheers

Last edited by Hitikiro; 06-20-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Hitikiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
ChitownY@Ris

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan
Looks good, but the "$5,000" in add-ons sounds a bit inflated for what he listed...Headers, cold air intake, exhaust, a Vitz badge, tints, rims and Yokohama slicks for 5 grand?
If I dropped 5 grand on performance upgrades, I'd have a Blitz or a turbo to show for it.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 AM   #3
Hitikiro

Thanks for the quick reply. What should I offer?
Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
well, ive he's asking 9900, he likely won't take less than 9k cash

i would start w/ an offer of 8000 and see where he counters...

RS's are worth the extra money as the price difference used for the better features is worth it (vs several thousand in price difference new)
Old 06-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
yaris rs

Drives: 2009
First problem was asking to negotiate, never ASK, show up with a checkbook, tell him you are willing to pay xxxx.xx in cash that day and you can write a check as a retainer then go out and get a cashier check if he doesn't want a personal check. Also don't low ball to the point of insulting, otherwise he will just hold his guns as an ego thing. If he wants 9900 and the car has a bluebook of 9900, have a set price you are willing to pay such as 9000 flat, offer him 8500 in cash and watch how far that goes. Although that still might be a hell of a lowballs since its like 16% off total, it's low but not quite insulting.

You're making the right choice with an inspection if you don't know cars yourself. I'd also suggest a vehicle history report. When I was looking at them, my first offer was a younger seller who 'neglected' to tell me/realize he had a salvaged title (I noticed paint abnormalities and funky wiring for his stereo, which I used as a negotiating tool. Since I wasn't hell bent on that car, he originally wanted 9500, I lowered it to 6800 cash. He countered with 7500 and I just held firm, he refused, I got my black one and was content with the purchase.

I've been through 5 cars so far, I've only paid advertised price once. I'm in speical edition cars and the only other one I actually paid seller asking price was out of desperation.
yaris rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
Hitikiro

Thanks for the reply guys! Decided on getting a beater instead (Taurus 96' w/145k KM) from a relative for a very good price. I'll use my remaining funds on appreciating assets instead. Thanks for all your input!
Old 06-21-2011, 01:48 AM   #7
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
OH GOD. DO NOT GET A TAURUS.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:13 AM   #8
Hitikiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
OH GOD. DO NOT GET A TAURUS.
Haha. Well for $1k I can't go wrong. Its well taken care of and I know the history behind the vehicle. I can shift my $$ else where (i.e. TFSA).
Old 06-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I suppose given that all the other points you bring up, that's not a bad idea
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote