Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
Talked to my mechs about nitrous.

I've been doing a bunch of research on nitrous for the Yaris and read a few differing views on here. So I finally went and talked to my mechs down the way yesterday. They have been working with the stuff for years and I figured they would be good for some advice.

A few people here have warned against dry shots due to the temperature and the plasstic intake manifolds. Apparently the cold shatters or at least cracks the plastic. So wet was recommended.

Mech's response... If the dry will crack it, so will the wet shot. Doesn't matter where you inject it, when it gets to the IM it is the same temp. In fact the cold is part of why it works.

So they recommended the only safe way to add nitrous is to have a metal IM. In other words, get a supercharger and a 50 shot is fair game. Leave the IM OEM and a 25, if you can even find a wet shot kit that low, could seriously damage your little econobox. :p

Just a fyi since there seems to be no OFFICIAL advice here. Not saying this is the end-all. But I have known these guys for a long time and they know what they are doing. Were working on a 754rhp 05 mustang while I was there.

Anyway, like I said this is not gospel. So techies feel free to criticize or confirm this. I think I can speak for all of us here when saying your opinions are more than helpful. :)
Old 09-29-2007, 10:08 PM   #2
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
that's pretty logical thinking. i wouldn't do something like that with a plastic IM.
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:55 PM   #3
Toyotech
Your Toyota Technician

Drives: 06 Cobalt SS/SC, 06 Rolla S
Send a message via AIM to Toyotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticorex View Post
I've been doing a bunch of research on nitrous for the Yaris and read a few differing views on here. So I finally went and talked to my mechs down the way yesterday. They have been working with the stuff for years and I figured they would be good for some advice.

A few people here have warned against dry shots due to the temperature and the plasstic intake manifolds. Apparently the cold shatters or at least cracks the plastic. So wet was recommended.

Mech's response... If the dry will crack it, so will the wet shot. Doesn't matter where you inject it, when it gets to the IM it is the same temp. In fact the cold is part of why it works.

So they recommended the only safe way to add nitrous is to have a metal IM. In other words, get a supercharger and a 50 shot is fair game. Leave the IM OEM and a 25, if you can even find a wet shot kit that low, could seriously damage your little econobox. :p

Just a fyi since there seems to be no OFFICIAL advice here. Not saying this is the end-all. But I have known these guys for a long time and they know what they are doing. Were working on a 754rhp 05 mustang while I was there.

Anyway, like I said this is not gospel. So techies feel free to criticize or confirm this. I think I can speak for all of us here when saying your opinions are more than helpful. :)
well the one question they should have asked is what type of fuel system you have. do not run dry... run wet and you can find a 30-35 wet that would suit your needs. i have seen dozens of platic manifolds pop from an intake backfire but they take more abuse then you think, use it properly and don't go cheap.

good luck.
Toyotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
staticorex

So you think a 30-35 wet shot would be fine on a plastic IM?
Old 09-30-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
thats bullshit! people have been using the plastic intake ( which flows better) on the pt cruiser with nitrous for years now...

also look into water injection.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
staticorex

I got the warning against it from this site. The mechs just said if the dry would crack it, so would the wet.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Toyotech
Your Toyota Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
thats bullshit! people have been using the plastic intake ( which flows better) on the pt cruiser with nitrous for years now...

also look into water injection.

water injection wouldn't be efficient on the yaris for anything worthy.

if u are worried then don't do it but almost every instant i have seen if from a puddle in the manifold then a nitrous backfire blowing the manifold to bits.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #8
staticorex

I would like to take your advice but I can't understand what you are trying to say.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:09 PM   #9
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
People run nitrous just fine through ls1 based chevy motors,and those have plastic intakes. I think you would have to be running a very big shot or for a long period of time for it to actually freeze the plastic. Just run direct port then it won't be in the intake but for maybe an inch lol. I have never heard about the freezing of the intake thing before though. I have heard of people blowing them up though.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:37 PM   #10
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Turbo + NOS =? on the Yaris?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:07 AM   #11
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
How much would it cost to put a NOS system on the car is my question.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:13 AM   #12
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
edit found one cheeper
http://www.fortune3.com/envision/Nit..._4_6_Cyl-.html
just over $700
they came down A LOT since I check last year about this time
Old 10-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #13
staticorex

Okay. First, no more NOS. If you want to call it that fine, but not in my thread. It's nitrous. NOS is a brand called nitrous oxide systems. Please try not to sound like a 16 year old who just got his first car and go around saying "I'm getting some NAAZZZ" while posting in this thread.

No offense to anyone, but that is really upsetting me. I feel like I'm getting crap info when the people commenting are using a term no informed mech has ever used.

Second, the mechs I talked to did bring up the Ls1's. That's why they were surprised to hear it may break. They recommended the kit I was planning on buying - Zex. It's not tunable which is perfect for this car since I would be using small shots. Plug and play.

So what I may do is guinea pig this and try it out. Sorry for the rant but I hate when intelligent people make themselves sound stupid by using that word. This is not the F&F world. There are other brands. And on that note: Nos brand nitrous wouldn't work for the car anyway. Well it might, but it would be one of the worst options. :)
Old 10-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #14
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
That would be the same thing as calling Kleenex, tissue paper. We call 'em Kleenex, not to be noob, but because thats what the original name was.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #15
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
project y has 35 shot of nitrous in his yaris, i believe it was a zex kit.

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #16
Joker

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
I've used and installed nitrous kits on a variety of cars, import and domestic. I have not heard of any plastic intakes "blowing up" or "cracking". What I have heard and seen is when the car leans out things break, i.e. your intake and engine.

Nitrous does nothing but make fuel burn quicker, lean out on fuel and you have a problem...thats why wet kits are better (safer) then dry kits, at least in my opinion. Dry kits use the stock injectors to compensate for the additional fuel needs when using n2o, given that the injectors arent at their limit. Wet kits are exactly what they sound like, additional fuel is plummed in either by an addl fuel pump or off the fuel rail if so equipped.

Zex kits do not have a good following, their marketing is one of "easiest and safest kits around", do your research first. I have seen more horror stories of Zex kits than any other brands.

Nitrous Oxide Systems has a wet kit available for Drive-by-Wire cars, # 5134 and is adjustable via jets for 35/50/75 HP levels.

For those who never had nitrous on a car (or bike) let me advise this, to fill a 10 lbs bottle is gonna cost ya $35-45 (at least in Chicago) and will only last 10-15 passes. Also keep in mind you will need a bottle warmer to keep the bottle pressure at about 900 psi which will run you about $125-150. Low bottle pressure = poor performance.

I would think if someone is going to consider a nitrous set up and keep their car normally aspirated then look into what some quality aftermarket mods might cost ya, meaning port the cylinder head, good intake/exhaust/header, some type of additional fuel enrichment, etc. Having power all the time instead of having the same power only on n2o is much more fun in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents here guys, trying to be a bit helpful. Thanks....

Tony
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #17
Toyotech
Your Toyota Technician

Quote:
I would like to take your advice but I can't understand what you are trying to say.

ok... when using a wet kit you won't be getting a complete burn, from the manifold/runner design you will end up having fuel that can puddle into the bottom of the manifold. to help compensate the fuel puddling many people increase the activation to higher rpm, from that find your shift points and where the rpm lands in the next gear. 4500rpm may be a good result.

another result of the puddling is solenoid issues or improper install

I have seen dozens of lsx block motors blow the manifold... leaving a nice big dent in the hood as it jumps.

now... the yaris is a returnless fuel system, so right off the bat... no fuel pressure regulator=no dry nitrous set-up. the fuel pressure that is needed is not supplied with your ecm
Old 10-01-2007, 07:15 PM   #18
Capagotks
Chode

Drives: Silver 5 Door YRX 1.5L I4
Send a message via MSN to Capagotks
Quote:
Okay. First, no more NOS. If you want to call it that fine, but not in my thread. It's nitrous. NOS is a brand called nitrous oxide systems. Please try not to sound like a 16 year old who just got his first car and go around saying "I'm getting some NAAZZZ" while posting in this thread.
Calm down mate. people only do it because its quicker to type and easier to say, like i wouldnt go up to a mate and go "are you purchasing a nitrous kit for your automobile? I do believe it is quite nice" i would say "yous gettin nos bro? fully sik!"(pronounced "bra" with a slight rolled R).

If people were talking about a specific brand, then you can tell easily enough what they mean.

Last edited by Capagotks; 10-01-2007 at 07:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Capagotks is offline   Reply With Quote