Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Yarisworld Degeneration

Excuse me for the vent:Is it me or is yarisworld a flaming pit of degeneration these days?

When I first came here it was a wealth of knowledge about this fascinating car which I didn't know existed until i stumbled over one on a car lot.

I did a search online and located this forum. I've found many knowledgeable people (and more than a few assholes). Guess thats the way it is on every forum though.

Seems to me that lately this site has weakened tremendously when it comes to welcoming new posters and providing information about the Yaris models.

Now if i'm interested in illegal street racing, drugs and who is the 'queen' of yarisworld i'm exactly in the right place.

Myself, i've tried to contribute by recruiting new posters, answering questions from new posters, submitted multiple DIY's, and participated in/started many topics. I've met a few new friends here also which I appreciate.

I think the mods have some real issues on their hands (first every controversial thread was instantly locked for no reason, now we are asking posters within the topics if they would like it closed???? Not the way to moderate in my opinion). The administrators are continually absent from this site as well.

To me the fun isn't here anymore and i'm starting to withdraw some from here. I don't want this to turn into a 'im not coming back here' thread either.

Last edited by redyaris; 09-26-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
I sincerely apologize for my part of the "degeneration" of YW. I love this place and I learn something new about my car everyday. I understand your frustration. Queen of YW was pointless, annoying and a distraction. Did I add fuel to the fire? You bet. But I only (and finally) said something that was going unspoken by other members who are too shy to speak up. As far as the "drug" thing. That was in fun, like the Queen of YW was supposed to be. In fact, my recent ranting about drugs was in that very same thread. Which by the way was listed under the "Off-Topic/Other Cars/Everything Else" section of this forum. My suggestion to you is if you are tired of BS threads such as the aforementioned one then don't click on it. It's really that simple.

As far as the Mods are concerned:
They switched them up on me and to be honest I don't keep track of who is a mod and who isn't. There are a few that I know of for sure. If you don't like the way they are handling things perhaps you can PM one of them and request making yourself one for a trial period.

I welcome new members. I try to answer questions about things I know about. Which really isn't that much because as I mentioned earlier I learn new things everyday. I do not contribute to a thread if I am talking out of my ass. I try to be helpful and not just take up space.

I know you said you don't want to make this a "I'm not coming back here" thread but perhaps a break would be helpful. Take a day or two to really ask yourself if it's worth putting up with a few off topic threads to return. I'm sure you already know the answer to that because this place rocks.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Most of the degeneration can be traced back to two things:

1) There are two posters on this forum (no, I won't name names... they know who they are) that are continually the root cause of the vast majority of the shit-stirring. Each of them recently took breaks away from YW and when they were not here the site became more sensible, mature, friendly, and it noticeably flowed smoother, requiring much less hand-holding from the Moderators. Even after taking breaks, being warned, having had their posts deleted and their threads locked, etc. they continue their patterns of behavior. (There was a third troublemaker but that person seems to be much quieter recently, so they are not a factor right now.)

2) While we still have a large age spread of members it appears that many of the newer members are quite young.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
I somewhat agree... a lot of the good content on YW has become diluted. Partially the reason for that a lot has been done to these cars, and is that there isn't that much *new* stuff to do. And a lot of topics have been discussed at length, and most new users either find out info on their own, or are simply pointed to it, thereby reducing the amount of new conversations. This is part of the evolution of the board... old members who've done what they wanted to do and learnt what they wanted to drift into the background... when's the last time Violin posted?

I don't mind the off-topic discussions... I don't participate much. I do think that discussions relating to things of an illegal nature don't necessarily belong here though... there are more appropriate places.

Anyhow... I feel like I'm rambling. Just some of my thoughts. I've been here for almost a year, and the "feel" has definitely changed. HAhahaha... the "good 'ol days", huh? I hope YW continues to thrive, supporting new members with valuable information, and allowing us to showcase our love for our vehicles!
Old 09-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
jenarae

Drives: No more Yaris!
Quote:
Originally Posted by death is my gift View Post
My suggestion to you is if you are tired of BS threads such as the aforementioned one then don't click on it. It's really that simple.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
OK, don't mind if I do.

For all of you that complain about the diverse spectrum of membership on these forums... how do you seriously exist in day to day life? Honestly? When you're at the mall and you hear some teenagers casually talking about smoking some pot or street racing, do you freak out, turn around and go police force on them? I mean, its a mall, right? You should be respectful of everyone around you. Well, it doesn't happen that way in real life and it doesn't here either.

Do you see what I'm getting at? Sure, this is a car forum, and it would be nice if everyone would just talk about the car, but you know what? There are so many people on these forums from so many different walks of life that you are inevitably going to get some controversial posts that have nothing to do with the car. Sure, I could run around the forum all day long chasing these posts down and deleting them and whatnot and keep this forum totally 100% Yaris related, but you know what? I don't have time, I don't have the patience, and I KNOW it isn't totally necessary.

Why isn't it necessary? Because as adults, we have the benefit of a discriminatory existence. If you don't like rap music, don't listen. Heavy metal? Don't listen. Fox news? Don't watch. Threads about street racing? DON'T CLICK ON THEM.

Adults people. Be adults.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
How is this conversation not adult? Children are unreasonable, so they cry and throw fits. Adults see a situation that seems not to be working well and take responsibility for their part in it, talk about it openly and honestly, try to take action to correct it.

Of course another option is to just try to lead by example; doesn't always work, unfortunately.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
SailDesign

Drives: .
I think of any forum as a family - some are more dysfunctional than others, but such is life. Sometimes syblings fight, sometimes others stick up for them, sometimes they gang up on one particular sybling. Sound familiar? (to coin a pun)
Folks, blood (or Yarii) is thicker than water, just don't go to sleep angry. Oops! That's just advice for Mum and Dad - ah, well...
Old 09-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Quote:
OK, don't mind if I do.

For all of you that complain about the diverse spectrum of membership on these forums... how do you seriously exist in day to day life? Honestly? When you're at the mall and you hear some teenagers casually talking about smoking some pot or street racing, do you freak out, turn around and go police force on them? I mean, its a mall, right? You should be respectful of everyone around you. Well, it doesn't happen that way in real life and it doesn't here either.

Do you see what I'm getting at? Sure, this is a car forum, and it would be nice if everyone would just talk about the car, but you know what? There are so many people on these forums from so many different walks of life that you are inevitably going to get some controversial posts that have nothing to do with the car. Sure, I could run around the forum all day long chasing these posts down and deleting them and whatnot and keep this forum totally 100% Yaris related, but you know what? I don't have time, I don't have the patience, and I KNOW it isn't totally necessary.

Why isn't it necessary? Because as adults, we have the benefit of a discriminatory existence. If you don't like rap music, don't listen. Heavy metal? Don't listen. Fox news? Don't watch. Threads about street racing? DON'T CLICK ON THEM.

If you don't have the time or patience to do what's asked from a Moderator, then you should pass it on to someone else
Old 09-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #10
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamilR View Post
If you don't have the time or patience to do what's asked from a Moderator, then you should pass it on to someone else
Has it ever been determined what exactly is expected from moderators? Are there terms of service that we all agreed to when we signed up? (I can't remember)
Old 09-26-2007, 04:05 PM   #11
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Zaius View Post
Has it ever been determined what exactly is expected from moderators? Are there terms of service that we all agreed to when we signed up? (I can't remember)
I'm pretty sure that the owner of the site and the moderators know whats expected from them, I'm not a moderator so don't ask me
Old 09-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #12
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
It's not like we are paying for a service. But as Doc says, we signed up. We did not just wander into a public place. We are members, not random mall walkers--and even malls have security that attempt to keep things pleasant and safe for everyone.

Like SailDesign says, if it's like a family, doesn't that imply that each member has some responsibility to the group? If people are being stupid or uncivil, does that not violate a basic social expectation? Why are people being criticized for objecting, as if that is somehow worse than just not caring?

And how does simply ignoring behavior that some find upsetting fulfill the obligations of a moderator? How does that demonstrate respect for anyone?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:29 PM   #13
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
well, being a recent shit disturber, the site has gone down hill, the cars been out in northamerica over a year, still no turbo option, no supercharger option, the aftermarket for this car is slow...

most questions have been asked/answered there is a search feture, its anoying seeing the same questions posted over, and over again...

street racing is bad, it might be fun, but its bad !

punch
Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #14
navtecftw

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris, polar white
I'm fairly new to the forum.. I hang around a lot, but don't post too much. I know a lot of my recent posts have been pretty much unrelated to the yaris as a whole. I generally try to keep these posts in off topic for this reason. I don't really see a problem with who the hell is queen, and people street racing, and all that. People are people.. let them be who they are. (No, I don't really agree with street racing, but hey... whatever).

I hang out at hondaswap.com a whole lot.. don't post there either. I don't own a honda anymore. I go there anyway, because of the members lounge.. the people there are hilarious, and pretty nice all around. Even the people who stir up things over there tend to be nice- they just like to argue. Even so, with all their bullshitting, that's the best place for honda information I've ever found. You want to take a look at a site full of information AND good discussions on things besides honda, cruise over there and check it out. May broaden your perspective of what this forum could actually accomplish.

I don't see why the forum can't have room for both people bullshitting around and people who want information. Sure, I can go bullshit anywhere, but people here drive the same car as me. Not a big deal, but it's what got me here in the first place. People just happened to be interesting enough that I figure it's worth sharing other discussions with them.

Eh.. I guess I don't really know what I'm saying. Basically, why can't we just have both sides? I'm sorry if I don't contribute much to the yaris, but I'd like to think that those of us that aren't really that great when it comes to the whole mechanical side are welcome as well.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #15
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I will be first to name some names… Nutzoids is the biggest contributor to the Degeneration of YarisWorld… He starts post that just blow up in controversy and opinions, and no one wants that! Mindless robots are what we need here in this world, this Yarisworld!

I will NOT apologize for anything I have said, or anything you think I have said or did! I am an adult, who lives with the Freedom of speech… I have NEVER EVER told someone they are wrong, or challenged their opinions… Nor have I ever told someone not to post something in the “EVERYTHING ELSE” category… I will not post a “Queen of Yarisworld” thread in the “Performance Modifications” category… If you don’t like it, don’t read it… It’s my prerogative to do and say what it is I see fit…

This is the internet… there is no FCC here to tell me that the word FUCK is not allowed between the hours of 8-10 because of family decency rules!

Drugs are a real part of the real world, so is sex, rock and roll, turbo chargers, and Big Bling Dollar signs! If you are uncomfortable with any of those things… well maybe you should shut your computer off and go outside to the real world some more!

The “Glory Days” of Yarisworld… Are you talking about the time when I would spend 4-5 hours of my personal (work) time calling different companies around the world, asking them if they had any plans to make parts for the Yaris? Or asking them to check out our website to show them that there is interest? Or perhaps the Hundreds (Almost Thousand) I have put out of my own pocket for R&D for this car and you people…

Shit there have been Multiple times I offered Chino money to help develop his Short Ram!

But what really happened… You cheap degenerates didn’t want expensive products… You wanted everything handed to you, without having to put out an effort for it! That is the REAL Degeneration of YarisWorld right there… You self-righteous bastards who think your doing good because you explained to a noobie how to change out the break lights, because you just learned it yesterday!

I gave up long ago… I am here for fun, The people on this site are Funny, nice, and helpful… But every so often you come across one or two who aren’t very patient, understanding or forgiving!

Nutzoids... Where Punk rock is less about Image, and more about the Mind!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #16
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Nutzoids, you are so wrong in so many ways that I don't know where to start...

Having maturity, manners and common courtesy in no way equates to "mindless robots".

It is most definitely not your prerogative to do what you "say and see is fit". No, you do not have a right to curse and be vulgar. I point you to a paragraph of the TOS that you agreed to when you created your account here:

Quote:
By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
Your previous post violates at least 2 of those principles.

Also, you do not have any right to free speech. Please understand the U.S. Constitution before you try to wave it around like some personal flag. Amendment I states that:

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
That statement starts and ends with Congress (meaning the Government as a whole) not being able to stop you from speaking your mind... this responsibility by no means whatsoever extends into the private sector, let alone onto the Internet.

Offering some help to the site and other users does not, by any means, entitle you to make an ass of yourself time and again. Calling the user base as a whole "degenerates" is not only uncalled for but is also against the rules. See the forum rules.

Share the Road

Last edited by BailOut; 09-26-2007 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Re-worded the bit about Congress and free speech at SailDesign's request.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #17
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Quote:
You and I have very different ideas of what being an adult means. You think it means that you should just let the world run amok and be man enough to grin and bear it.

I think it means having the maturity and enough of a sense of community to not propagate vulgar, hurtful or illegal things, nor anything that would make fellow users uncomfortable, nor to do or say anything that would cause a problem if someone's child was reading over their shoulder. Everyone getting along has much more to do with how each of us acts to begin with than how we react to each other.

Share the Road

Old 09-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #18
SailDesign

Drives: .
Methinks that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; ... " merely means that Congress cannot make laws abridging the freedom of speech, etc.
IN NO WAY does it even begin to imply that only Congress has freedom of speech. Please read what you wrote, Oh Grear One.
Nutzoids has some valid points, and some really invalid ones - such is life. If you really hate what he writes, then hit the "Ignore" button.
Closed Thread