Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2014, 11:38 PM   #109
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Im pulling together to get some funds set aside for this. Just dropped my trans off for the Malibu to get rebuilt, sent the cam and lifters to get WPC treated as well. Too many projects!

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #110
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
No problem. So far, three tanks with the spacer on now. Something to keep in mind is I don't know if my local Chevron has switched back to summer blend or not. But if comparing to around the same time last year, it's a 2-3 mpg increase.

3/22/13, 318.8 miles, 7.92 gallons, 40.2 mpg, $4.060

vs

3/20/14, 340.9 miles, 8.06 gallons, 42.3 mpg, $3.940
3/25/14 313.0 miles, 7.17 gallons, 43.7 mpg, $3.940

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/07vios/yaris (same link)
See if you can find out exactly when they make the change to Summer blend, so that you'll know whether or not the increase is the blend or the spacer. That will insure producing accurate results.

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #111
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
Im pulling together to get some funds set aside for this. Just dropped my trans off for the Malibu to get rebuilt, sent the cam and lifters to get WPC treated as well. Too many projects!
It's ok, Malibu...
There are still two available from this production run. And if there is still any interest after this run sells out, I can always have another run machined.

Greg
Old 04-03-2014, 11:34 PM   #112
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
See if you can find out exactly when they make the change to Summer blend, so that you'll know whether or not the increase is the blend or the spacer. That will insure producing accurate results.

Greg
I'll try to remember to ask tomorrow when I fill up.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:12 AM   #113
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
My local Chevron said they switched to summer blend, but didn't say when they did.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #114
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
My local Chevron said they switched to summer blend, but didn't say when they did.
That makes sense. My mileage has been better lately but I don't date my fillups. Same with my motorcycle. It goes over 70 mpg on Summer blend, and the last couple of fillups have all been 70+.

Greg
Old 06-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #115
tooter
play every day

I'm down to the last spacer now...
Old 06-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #116
DJYojimbo

Drives: 2012 Grey Toyota Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I'm down to the last spacer now...
Greg, is there anyway you can hold the last one for me? I'm just waiting to finish my clinicals and waiting for the hospital to hire me which is very soon! anyway i can put a down payment?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #117
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJYojimbo View Post
Greg, is there anyway you can hold the last one for me? I'm just waiting to finish my clinicals and waiting for the hospital to hire me which is very soon! anyway i can put a down payment?

Don't worry, man...
Even if the last one sells out before you're ready to buy, I should be able to have a few more made within a month or so. The worst that could happen is that you might need to wait for just a little while.

Greg
Old 06-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #118
DJYojimbo

Greg you are the man!!!! Once my first big check from the hospital arrives, i'm using it to buy a tooter!!!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #119
DJYojimbo

i think i'm going to buy this and the trd rear sway bar and hold off on the dc sports header haha!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #120
DJYojimbo

is anybody using this tooter spacer with an automatic tranny?
Old 06-12-2014, 01:57 AM   #121
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJYojimbo View Post
is anybody using this tooter spacer with an automatic tranny?
The one that shipped today is going to a guy with an auto. So as far as I know, he'll be the first to experiment with it. My best guess is that an auto trans will shift at slightly lower rpms because the stronger intake manifold vacuum signal will indicate less engine load, but I have no idea exactly what will happen. With my manual it easily short shifts at 2,000 rpms, and pulls in the next higher gear from under 2,000 without lugging the engine. That helps the gas mileage not needing to rev the engine as much in normal driving. Now if I could just get my wife not to rev the engine so much!

Greg

Last edited by tooter; 06-12-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #122
j-san

Drives: 2010 5-door hatchback
That would be me. Unfortunately, my Yaris lacks a tach, but I do have a ScanGaugeII. I'll try to see if I can't keep track of when the tranny shifts and compare that to after the spacer install. I'm hoping the tranny will keep up with any torque gains lower in the RPM range and shift accordingly. I hope this mod would end up giving me a little more low end power and squeeze out another MPG or two. I'll post up my findings after driving around with it a little.
j-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #123
tooter
play every day

You might be able to tell any difference of when the transmission shifts by feel. You already kind of know when it's going to shift according to how much you press on the gas pedal, and how much engine load there is such as grades. Gas mileage is a good indicator as it's sensitive enough to respond to more subtle factors.

It'll be really interesting to see what happens as this is uncharted waters. So if after driving with the spacer you feel that the benefits aren't worth the cost, please feel free to return it undamaged and I'll be happy give you your money back.

Greg
Old 06-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #124
j-san

That is very generous of you, Greg! I guess we will see how it goes and I hope my experiment with it will be of some use to you. Wish I had a manual tranny, but the wife just doesn't want to learn how to drive one...
Old 06-13-2014, 01:59 AM   #125
tooter
play every day

I'm still trying to get my wife to rev the engine less so we can get better gas mileage. It's a lost cause.

Greg
Old 06-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #126
j-san

Finally got the Tooter spacer installed today. Took me a while to get the time needed to do the install and I had to do a couple runs to the hardware shop for some tools. All together, the install was fairly straightforward and simple. I had to lengthen a couple hoses, but the other hoses seemed to have enough slack to make the move. I used the stock airbox without any issues. Greg has an excellent kit put together and the spacer is very well made - a perfect fit.

I let the battery remain disconnected during the install, which took about an hour. I had to remove the bolts that hold the coolant fill cap section to the throttle body and offset it in order to make the move. I was able to reconnect the fill cap section to the original mount using just one screw and made sure nothing was rubbing the hoses.

With the decorative engine cover back on, it looks virtually stock - especially with the stock airbox. Despite being only held on with 2 screws instead of the usual 4, the cover didn't rattle and the front edge was actually supported by the flange of the intake manifold.

Driving the car after the install was pretty much the same as before. I have an auto tranny and there were a few instances where the shifts came late at lower rpms. The tranny hung in the gear a little longer than what seemed like usual, but it stopped doing that after I got out of the residential roads and started going 50mph. I did not notice any change in how the car drove. I did test out the acceleration on highway onramps at WOT and it almost seemed like the car got up to highways speeds a tad faster than before, but then again, it could be the placebo effect taking hold. No info on fuel mileage yet since this is the first drive with it, but I can update this thread with my MPG with auto tranny once I have a few fill-ups done.