Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Fazulka

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4dr Sedan Base
Dash Removal

I remember seeing a thread of how to remove the dash board somewhere, but not sure where. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Fazulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Fazulka

I found this: http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/Interior.pdf

Looks like you just pull off the front trim panels around the gauges, then the glove compartment, remove the instrument panel with 2 screws, then 4 screws on the assembly itself and it should come off. Does it slide forward? pull up?
Old 03-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Fazulka

Ok, finding nothing I went ahead and tried anyway. It is pretty easy. Here is a quick guide:

Check page 11 of this PDF. I am going to refer to it as just page 11:
http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/Interior.pdf

First, pull the weather stripping down a little bit by the front door so you can pull of the plastic that runs up the front pillars. Once the weather stripping is back the plastic comes off. It was held on by 2-3 clips, no screws. Do this on both sides.

Next, pull of the trim around the climate control. Should be three panels, and they come off very easily. No screws. Two of the panels are seen at the bottom of page 11.

The "Instrument Cluster Finish Panel" unclipped easily with no screws. Pull it off to reveal 4 Phillips head screws. Undo the two connectors of wires that attach to the instrument panel (This resets your clock!). Undo the 2 screws holding the instrument panel in place and it moves easily. Put it to the side.

Side note, this is when I found a GPS tracker in my car. Must have been owned by a company before me. Or the owner was getting stalked. Check it out, it was behind the instrument cluster, complete with antenna and everything:

Ok, continuing on, next take out the two screw that were under the Instrument Cluster Finish Panel that hold the dash down. They are easy to see on page 11, and even easier to find in reality.

Now, the tricky bit. Or it was for me, but I will make it much easier for you. I couldn't find the other 2 screws shown on page 11. So i wrestled with the dash for a bit, and found the problem. The passenger airbag is attached to the bottom of the dash. You have to undo 2 bolts to remove it from a metal bar. I believe the bolts were 12mm, but I'm not positive. To access them remove the glove compartment (easy to do, squeeze the sides and move one side forward at at time. The bottom clips slide out once the side clips are free.). Look straight back through the space where the glove compartment was and you will see this:

The bolts you need to undo are the once that you are looking straight at the head. I had to use two extensions on my socket wrench. There is a wire that goes to the airbag, but I did not unclip it. I was able to slide the dash forward and up at this point and roll it onto the passenger seat with the wire attached.

Tada!

Plenty of room for lots of electronics under there, like the box for the remote starter (previously tucked up behind the fuse panel, but it kept haningg down by the pedals. Now hidden up there under the dash and much happier!), and the mystery GPS tracker I found.

Enjoy!
Old 03-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Fazulka

One more note, when you put the dash back, look though the hole from the instrument cluster and make sure the plastic pieces go under the defroster vent. It is easy to do.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
hayden

Drives: asd
I just followed this guide and it helped a lot, thanks! One thing that you missed though were the screws in the bottom of the cup holders.
hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Is there any surface on the front firewall accessible from here? Any place it would be worthwhile to sound insulate e.g;dynamat/foam?

Also, can I disconnect the airbag and take the dash cover out completely, and drive around with it to locate rattling sounds and engine sound leaks?
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
Is there any surface on the front firewall accessible from here? Any place it would be worthwhile to sound insulate e.g;dynamat/foam?

Also, can I disconnect the airbag and take the dash cover out completely, and drive around with it to locate rattling sounds and engine sound leaks?
If you do, you will need to reset some DTCs on the SRS ECU after doing so to clear the airbag warning light. It only requires a jumper wire on the OBD connector to do so. The procedure for doing so is posted in a thread on installing aftermarket seats.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
i was able to access the top portion of the front firewall by removing the defroster vent and the grey padding
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
afthabfadul

Drives: yaris 2008
hand break light

My car is yaris sedan 2008 model.this hand break light showing and cigrate lighter is no power.need your advice.
afthabfadul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by afthabfadul View Post
My car is yaris sedan 2008 model.this hand break light showing and cigrate lighter is no power.need your advice.
The lighter is likely due to the 15A CIG fuse being blown. It is located in the fuse panel that is under the bottom of the dash.

The brake light may be on due to the fluid level being low, as some Yaris have the fluid level sensor in the reservoir.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
afthabfadul

Drives: yaris 2008
under dash board 15a fuse is ok,another fuse inside engine room?
afthabfadul is offline   Reply With Quote