Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
staax

Drives: 02 Corolla, 02 Dakota
07 Auto vs. 08 5 Speed

Hi all,

I'm helping my girlfriend get out of her 2001 Chrysler Intrepid (absolute junkbox) and into a new vehicle and we've been looking at Toyota's, specifically 2 Yaris'.

One is a 2007 with an automatic at 140,000 kms (approx. 88,000 miles) goin for 5,400 safety/etested.

The other is a 2008 with a 5 speed at 89,000 kms (56,000 miles) going for 5,950 safety/etested.

Both are around her budget but I'm a little concerned with the 1.5L and how it would perform with 4 people in the car. She would certainly prefer the auto over the 5 speed just for convenience, but she can drive stick.

Both cars are coming from a dealership so I imagine I can bargain a cash price for about 500-800 less than list price.

I'd just like to get some opinions on if you think the 1.5 is a dog. We're mainly looking for reliability and gas mileage. Does the automatic perform well?

I own a 02 Corolla with the 1.8 which is why I'm looking to get her a Toyota (legendary reliability).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
staax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
5 spd all the way...the yaris is not fast or slow i have a 5 spd 2 door and its way more fun with stick...did drive the auto its ok but can be noisy on the hwy. As for four ppl in the car is she going to be driving with them all the time ? I , just my opinion would take the 5spd mainly cos it is a small engine and one needs all the help they can lol plus u get better fuel mileage.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
staax

Thanks for the reply Exi,

She won't be driving with 3 others all the time no - I'd say atleast 3 days a week she'll have at least 2 other people with her (she works with children and is responsible for taking them places).

The 5 speed has almost half the mileage the auto does for only $500 more, not to mention its a year newer too.

I made a mistake with the mileage on the 5 speed in my original post - it has 98,000 kms (not 89) which leads me to my next question. Do these vehicles have timing chains or belts?

Just wondering if the timing belt and waterpump will have to be done shortly after buying the car.

Thanks again.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If she would prefer the AT, go that route. The MT will be a bit peppier and will get a bit better fuel economy (depending on her shifting), but having owned 3 AT and 2 MT Yaris, I can say that I prefer to be lazy with AT. With the drive by wire throttle, driving an MT Yaris takes some getting used to.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Exiwolfman

Chain and water pump easy fix if needed and usually are good for up to 150km or more tho can be hit and miss ...if ur getting it from dealer ask to have it done if do ..but yes go with what she likes cos it's her car and by the sounds of it work car too plus city driving better with auto
Old 03-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Your girlfriends personal preference should prevail here. I've driven both, and own an A/T.

Yes, the stick naturally gives you a bit more zip, f/e, and shifting control, but the A/T is actually no slouch. I'm all the time loaded with passengers and/or cargo and still manage to not bog the engine down. Pulling her through the mountains in northern New Brunswick loaded with family and luggage and she holds her own. Cruising on the 401 at 120kph and can easily shoot up to 140kph if needed.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
staax

Thanks for all the replies.

We test drove the 5 speed yesterday and both of us thought that it was tough to get in gear, especially second when cold. Is this normal for these cars?

Once warmed up it drove fine, clutch caught well. The sales guy said the car hadn't been driven in 2 days.

I'll have to admit the car was peppier than I would have thought. She loved the car but we're still going to check out the AT tomorrow.

Still unsure about the gears. My Dakota has no problems when cold out going into gears.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by staax View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

We test drove the 5 speed yesterday and both of us thought that it was tough to get in gear, especially second when cold. Is this normal for these cars?

Once warmed up it drove fine, clutch caught well. The sales guy said the car hadn't been driven in 2 days.

I'll have to admit the car was peppier than I would have thought. She loved the car but we're still going to check out the AT tomorrow.

Still unsure about the gears. My Dakota has no problems when cold out going into gears.

Being tough to get into second says that either the gear oil needs to be changed or the second gear synchro is on its way out. If the MT ones are driven hard, it is common to have the synchros wear prematurely.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
staax

I would think that 96,000 kms would be pretty early for a synchro to go out, but it is possible.

According to the sales guy it had a complete fluid change prior to coming in. Brake fluid, oil, and coolant all looked clean too.

I'm hoping the 07 were about to look at was maintained well too.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I would think that 96,000 kms would be pretty early for a synchro to go out, but it is possible.

According to the sales guy it had a complete fluid change prior to coming in. Brake fluid, oil, and coolant all looked clean too.

I'm hoping the 07 were about to look at was maintained well too.
The 07 MT Yaris that I recently converted from MT to AT had bad synchros and it only had 70,000 on it. Granted it had been autocrossed and had a turbo on it for a while, but if you poke around on here you will see quite a few mentions of synchos wearing in under 100K. On non abused ones I am sure they would last 500K or more, but unless you know the history of the car, you never know what its been through.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #11
staax

Hmm I see. That's a little unfortunate since its mostly 5 speeds that are within her budget at the moment. We did find another but its almost an hour away. Another 08 with 116,000 kms for the same price.

We still plan on testing out the AT but we were looking for something with less mileage.

Appreciate all the help.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
staax

I know I said Id look at the AT tomorrow but the dealership is close to work so I just had a look at that one.

Definitely not getting this one. Lots of dings and the tires were bald. One thing I noticed is that it had rust on all 4 door panels right underneath the plastic rail.

Is this a common spot? Inside the doors?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #13
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
If the car was garage parked without rust proof.. bottom of doors are likely to rust.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I know I said Id look at the AT tomorrow but the dealership is close to work so I just had a look at that one.

Definitely not getting this one. Lots of dings and the tires were bald. One thing I noticed is that it had rust on all 4 door panels right underneath the plastic rail.

Is this a common spot? Inside the doors?

Thanks
I haven't seen rust there before. Sounds like that one lived a tough life.

On the MT one, you should see if you can get them to change the gear oil and then test it again.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
I don't think fuel mileage should be much of an issue. In 2010-11 models at least, the difference in mileage between A/T and M/T was only 1MPG, a difference you can make up with your driving style.

I don't have any issues with the tranny cold, but I live in SoCal so "cold" is not really that cold.

Mine has been exceptionally reliable; in 3 1/2 years I put 95k miles on it (mosly freeway miles) and have not done anything other than change the oil and tires. I am way overdue on some maintenance like coolant flush, M/T oil change, and brake fluid flush, valve adjust, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
If the car was garage parked without rust proof.. bottom of doors are likely to rust.
Ugh. I dint want to hear this; someone stuck a business card in my window and it fell into the door. I haven't taken it out thinking 'no big deal'. But I can see it causing rust when the paper gets wet and stays wet. I guess I better fish it out...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #16
Exiwolfman

call ED at Collingwood Toyota ..i know we have a Yaris or two but we can always locate one for you.
We get lots of ppl from the GTA ...so u can come up have an oil change and go skiing at Blue MTN ...lol
Old 03-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #17
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
Ugh. I dint want to hear this; someone stuck a business card in my window and it fell into the door. I haven't taken it out thinking 'no big deal'. But I can see it causing rust when the paper gets wet and stays wet. I guess I better fish it out...
i don't think it would be an issue in CA.
I've had mine undercoated when i bought the car, then oil rust proof every year from 07 to 2010. Then i started garage park it and stopped rust proofing it.. the under of the car is pretty nasty now. But then, salt is heavily used in this part of the country..
Old 03-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #18
IllusionX

Staxx: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ554351869 ?