Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
core2lee

Drives: Yaris 1.0 VVT VW Golf 1.8T
2002 Yaris 1.0 VVT - Won't start!

Hi all;

First I will start with a bit of background info;

-=-=-=-=-=-=
I recently purchased an '02 Yaris 1.0VVT with high mileage (150,000 Miles). The car needed a new cam chain as it was very slack, and this could be heard when the engine was running.

In the UK it was much cheaper, and much easier to simply swap out the engine as opposed to the chain.

Now, just before swapping the engine the car would not start, had a spark, good fuel pressure but would simply turn over and not try to actually run.

So.. assuming the chain had slipped as the symptoms where the same as an engine with was not synchronized correctly, I found a working engine with much lower mileage. I did see this engine running in the crashed donor car.
-=-=-=-=-=-=

So.. out with the old, in with the new.

With the new engine in the car, the symptoms are the EXACT same. The car will turn over (crank), all 4 plugs have a strong spark, pleanty of fuel is getting into the engine, but the car does nothing. If I give it some gas, you can hear some occasional popping coming from the intake.

I have 2x crank position sensors (one of which was 100% working when the engine was running in the old vehicle).

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what I can try next as I am really running out of ideas??

PS:
- The engines where the same codes (both Japan made I believe, definitely the same so same electronics/loom)
- Although I do not have another ECU to test, the ecu can through up error codes fine when sensors are unplugged (such as MAF, Cam position, Crank position sensors) but otherwise there are NO ERROR CODES.

Thanks in advance.
core2lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It may be worth trying another ECM, if it is easy to get your hands on one.

You mention good fuel pressure - Have you checked to see if the injectors are actually firing?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #3
core2lee

Drives: Yaris 1.0 VVT VW Golf 1.8T
Thanks for the reply.

I do not have an ECM to test (sorry for my ignorance, I assume this is the Engine Control Unit/Module which on mine is under the glove compartment on the passenger side).

I think it would be odd for it to still function, allow me to connect via OBD2 and still throw up fault codes when sensors are disconnected.. BUT this will not be overlooked and i'll see what I can do about testing a spare.

The Immobiliser LED also goes off when either the master (grey) or secondary (black) keys are put in the ignition.

I haven't yet tested the injectors properly.. but if I turn over (crank) the engine all 4 pots have some fuel in them and the plugs are wet.

But again when I remove a plug and earth it on the car, there is a spark when I crank the engine.

Is it possible for a crank position sensor to not work properly? It clearly works because if I unplug it there is no spark, and if I plug it back in there is.

I have tried both the one off the new engine, and one of the old engine.

There is obviously something I am missing here, and it's driving me nuts!!!
core2lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It definitely is strange. It really does sound like all of the key pieces are working. With the ECM (yes engine computer) I think you are correct that it is likely fine. I have seen ones fail where they work all except for an output driver for firing the plugs or injectors, but if they are all working it sounds like the outputs are fine. Also with you seeing spark and fuel it does sound like the immobilizer is happy.

The only other thing I can think of is that the cams are completely off in their alignment with the crank. Since the same mechanic worked on both of the engines, maybe it would not be a bad idea to have someone else verify that or take a look at the service manual yourself and verify that he has properly matched the marks on the cam and crank gears.