Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2018, 02:29 AM   #1
Mrb

Drives: 1.33 VVTI
Struggling to start

Hi All

I'm looking for some help.

My 2009 1.33 VVTi 99k miles manual had a moment today. I turned the key and it kept cranking but no start. Eventually after several attempts (last one was very long) it fired up with a cloud of white smoke. It never smoked before and in fact it didn't afterwards, just upon that particular start. It now starts fine (even the stop start works) but i'm worried it's the beginning of something.

It has a new battery (2 months old), service was done about 2000mls ago (not the spark plugs), the throttle body cleaned about 8000mls ago and that's it really.

It has got other issues, bad radio unit, occasional heavy power steering and it leaks coolant very randomly and only a few drops and I don't know from where either (it possibly drinks it).

Any suggestions with my original issue will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Alberto
Mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:12 PM   #2
Brick

Drives: 2007 Base Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb View Post
Hi All

I'm looking for some help.

My 2009 1.33 VVTi 99k miles manual had a moment today. I turned the key and it kept cranking but no start. Eventually after several attempts (last one was very long) it fired up with a cloud of white smoke. It never smoked before and in fact it didn't afterwards, just upon that particular start. It now starts fine (even the stop start works) but i'm worried it's the beginning of something.

It has a new battery (2 months old), service was done about 2000mls ago (not the spark plugs), the throttle body cleaned about 8000mls ago and that's it really.

It has got other issues, bad radio unit, occasional heavy power steering and it leaks coolant very randomly and only a few drops and I don't know from where either (it possibly drinks it).

Any suggestions with my original issue will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Alberto
Regarding your original issue and potentially your coolant issue (since coolant in exhaust is white (and sweet smelling)), you can easily confirm a coolant leak/possible head gasket failure by testing the coolant gases with a diagnostic tool called “block tester.” Google it; autozone rents them out.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
Mrb

Drives: 1.33 VVTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
Regarding your original issue and potentially your coolant issue (since coolant in exhaust is white (and sweet smelling)), you can easily confirm a coolant leak/possible head gasket failure by testing the coolant gases with a diagnostic tool called “block tester.” Google it; autozone rents them out.
thanks for the reply, currently in the process of changing the water pump. If it doesn't cure it, the tester is next.
Mrb is offline   Reply With Quote