Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #253
09sedan

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Yes the brake overrides CC.

If yours has the wiring from the ECM to the steering column, then you can use splice tap connectors (available from most auto parts stores) to connect to the existing wires. Your Canadian sedan may not have the wiring from the ECM to the steering column, and if that is the case you would need to add the ECM pin.

This thread has a DIY with more details:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33750
ok cool thanks for the info!, so D3 connector is left side of the yellow connector ? and if there is a blue wire there, then i can just tap into it, if not i have to run a wire through the firewall to the ecm?
09sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #254
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09sedan View Post
ok cool thanks for the info!, so D3 connector is left side of the yellow connector ? and if there is a blue wire there, then i can just tap into it, if not i have to run a wire through the firewall to the ecm?
Correct on both.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #255
09sedan

great news, i just checked and i have all 3 wires, and my dash cluster has the set and CC indicators.

do i have to use the switches you mentioned, or can i use a plain SPST Normally open pushbutton that i can buy from my local electronics store?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #256
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
great news, i just checked and i have all 3 wires, and my dash cluster has the set and CC indicators.

do i have to use the switches you mentioned, or can i use a plain SPST Normally open pushbutton that i can buy from my local electronics store?
Any normally open switches are fine.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #257
09sedan

people are telling me if i dont use the expensive "aftermarket cruise control kit" which is like 3-500$ with installation that the CC might not disengage or the insurance company wont cover if something happens cuz its a DIY modification , are there any risks involved in using this mod? also i got a single 620ohm 1% 1/2Watt resistor, (im using 2 switch method) is that enough?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #258
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
people are telling me if i dont use the expensive "aftermarket cruise control kit" which is like 3-500$ with installation that the CC might not disengage or the insurance company wont cover if something happens cuz its a DIY modification , are there any risks involved in using this mod? also i got a single 620ohm 1% 1/2Watt resistor, (im using 2 switch method) is that enough?
Cruise control is a function of the ECM. You are just enabling that existing functionality by adding the switches and resistors as an input the ECM. The only way it can "not disengage" is if the ECM fails.

The aftermarket Rostra kit was actually recalled, because it has an issue where RF noise can make it misbehave, so I'd stick with enabling the OEM functionality.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #259
09sedan

ok, thanks for the advice, all i have to do now is find out where to mount these buttons , ive decided to just use utility knife to strip away the insulation on the 2 d3 wires and solder them in, i want the best connection possible so soldering is the way to go. i will post up my results once i have finished this project, thanks for the help ctscott!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #260
09sedan

just finished the wiring OMG IT WORKS !!! GREAT SUCCESS!! THANK YOU CTSCOTT!! you just saved me almost 500$ !!! if you ever come to toronto, let me know i owe u a few beers
Old 09-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #261
chanka

Drives: Toyota allex
Hi Scott,

If I don't have cruise control in Yaris 2008 EECU ( In NZ ) can I change US market ECU and will it start as normal ? Then can I do my DIY CC ?
Cheers.
chanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #262
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Ive had my Yaris World cc for maybe two years now. I drove a friends car with stalk cc and HATED it. My four button cc is SO much easier to use!

Question: one button is on/off, another button is set/decel, and button is resume/accel.

What is the fourth button?
Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #263
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Ive had my Yaris World cc for maybe two years now. I drove a friends car with stalk cc and HATED it. My four button cc is SO much easier to use!

Question: one button is on/off, another button is set/decel, and button is resume/accel.

What is the fourth button?
Cancel.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #264
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanka View Post
Hi Scott,

If I don't have cruise control in Yaris 2008 EECU ( In NZ ) can I change US market ECU and will it start as normal ? Then can I do my DIY CC ?
Cheers.
Possibly, if you have the 1NZ-FE engine. I believe that your cars follow the JDM Vitz wiring. I have not done a pin for pin comparison of the US versus JDM ECMs to see if any pins need to be moved around.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:47 AM   #265
chanka

Thanks Scott, If its hard I'll go for this option.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEAPON-R-I-T...=mtr#vi-ilComp

Thanks again.
Chanka
Old 09-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #266
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanka View Post
Thanks Scott, If its hard I'll go for this option.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEAPON-R-I-T...=mtr#vi-ilComp

Thanks again.
Chanka
You do realize that that device is not cruise control, but rather a device that makes the throttle seem more responsive?
Old 09-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #267
chanka

Yes I noticed that now. I'm still looking for a CC that I can fit externally.
Cheers SCott...
Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #268
azeeroth

Drives: '09 Yaris
I have the 2009 automatic with OEM cruise control and the stalk annoys me and frustrates my wife even more. We loved the OEM flick stalk on the old Camry!

Could I tap into the wiring and add this even though I have the OEM stalk? Essentially I'd have two sets of cruise control controls... control controls lols I can't see why I can't do it this way, but I don't want to poke it and end up with no cruise control.

I'd like to add a set of buttons or a joystick somewhere, but leave the OEM stalk in place so when it comes time to sell the car on I can take the secondary buttons out so as to not confuse anyone.
azeeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #269
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeeroth View Post
I have the 2009 automatic with OEM cruise control and the stalk annoys me and frustrates my wife even more. We loved the OEM flick stalk on the old Camry!

Could I tap into the wiring and add this even though I have the OEM stalk? Essentially I'd have two sets of cruise control controls... control controls lols I can't see why I can't do it this way, but I don't want to poke it and end up with no cruise control.

I'd like to add a set of buttons or a joystick somewhere, but leave the OEM stalk in place so when it comes time to sell the car on I can take the secondary buttons out so as to not confuse anyone.
Can you post a picture of your OEM stalk? I am wondering if your Australian CC is different (and perhaps actually an aftermarket system).

If it is actually the OEM type used on the US Yaris, then you can indeed add the extra set of controls by tapping the two wires.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #270
azeeroth

Drives: '09 Yaris
I've had the steering wheel cover off to do the headlight relay mod, and from memory there's just one thick black cable going to this stalk. Presumably that goes back to the same wires you've described though.

Oh yes, this was done by the Toyota dealer before we got the car, so it's as factory as they do it here. I remember asking about the Camry style flick switch and they said something about not being able to do that as factory and they'd have to "put the cruise control in afterwards" so it could be an aftermarket one that Toyota uses.
azeeroth is offline   Reply With Quote