Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
RyanRedYaris

Drives: 2009 Yaris S Hatchback
Tanabe DF210 problems help please

i was installing them today i got the back springs in nice and i like th elook i started the front struts and i couldnt get the top bolt loose on the strut under the hood i used a offset wrench and allen key but no budge than it started to rain. i'll try again in the morning.

am i suppose to compress the spring first before i try the top bolt so it's easier to turn the top bolt. so i have more play and the bolt will come loose easier?

all helps appreciated and thanks Garm for the springs from microimage

and i test drove my car with the back springs and it drives a lot smoother over bumps.
RyanRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
gte123v

Drives: 09 meteorite 3dr LB
does it spin freely if you just use a wrench without the allen key? try breaking it loose with a breaker bar first.
gte123v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
RyanRedYaris

yea it does spin freely i'm hoping if i compress the spring the spring it will be easy to turn the bolt when i try tommorow
Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
RyanRedYaris

i dont know what else to do i used a vice grip on the allen key and a 17mm offset wrench and it still slipped and the top bolt is looking like it might start to strip. so all helps appreciated i we'll be trying tommorow at 7 am thank you
Old 07-28-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I never compressed the springs until the assembly was off the car, so I don't think that's it.

You might have to take the cowling off and put an impact tool on there to get that loose. Have you used any product to help loosen it?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:14 AM   #6
Jeemee
XBL: Jeemee Ghost

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Yes, what Garm said. Use an impact, takes just a second. I dunno why the DIY doesn't state that. Clearly it can't be done with out one. For those who managed to, I hate you all.

Nitto Axle-Back--Tanabe DF210s--UR 23mm Rear Sway Bar--Penguin Garage 10mm Hub Spacers
Jeemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
RyanRedYaris

i did use an impact gun and the bolt keeps spinning round and not loosening so i tried the 17mm offset box wrench and the allen key and the wrench keeps slipping off any other advice?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
gte123v

Drives: 09 meteorite 3dr LB
I'm guessing the offset wrench is a 12 point wrench. You could try grinding a 6 point socket so 2 sides are flat so you can get a big wrench on it and do the allen key with that. That should get you enough leverage to break it loose and not strip the bolt.
gte123v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 AM   #9
Jeemee
XBL: Jeemee Ghost

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Is the impact pneumatic or electric? If it was electric then use a pneumatic. Other than that I don't know. If all else fails then you could get another set of struts/shocks and cut off the stock ones hehe

Nitto Axle-Back--Tanabe DF210s--UR 23mm Rear Sway Bar--Penguin Garage 10mm Hub Spacers
Jeemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:55 AM   #10
RyanRedYaris

i got it done i used and allen key and a plain socket and vice grips haha completely sucked i would never wanna do it again car looks better and i like the way it drives but my muffler is like 3" off the ground so i gotta be careful with that thanks for the help
Old 07-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #11
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
It does help to have extra long allen keys. Otherwise the torque applied to the wrench is lost because a short allen key cannot be held stationary. Also, a extra high offset wrench is necessary. The garden variety offset wrench cannot get on the nut adequately.
My sedan was only several months old when I did the suspension and even with the special tools those top nuts were a bitch to break loose.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Can anyone post pictures of the tools used to do this job please? Its something I will need to find once I buy new struts/shocks.

Thank you.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
I just locked 2 wrenches together for extra leverage, and put the end of my handle of my floor jack on the allen key.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote