Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-23-2019, 04:20 AM   #19
Bugeye

Drives: Black Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
Why not come join in the fun instead ;) 2zr's are cheap as chips in Straya.
Yeah I been doing my research. I have an 07 but wasn’t keen on chasing the XD parts.
But am contemplating getting a 2012 and going the same route as you.
Bugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:09 AM   #20
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
Shouldn't make a difference if it's 2007 or 2012. You'll have to chase the exact same parts.

The parts we don't have readily available to us are
- Axles
- Shifter cables (For C50/C54 in the slight forward and left mounted 2ZR setup)
- Airbox

You should be able to procure those through US Ebay sellers if keen enough.

The Toyota IST and the NZ market is always another source of parts. The 3rd Generation Toyota IST is the same car as the Scion XD. It just never came out as a manual in Japan, but the driveshafts in the 2zr version are the same as the manual Scion XD, and in theory the airbox should fit as well. Just be aware that the IST came out with a 1nz as well and you aren't going to want the parts from that variant.
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:08 AM   #21
Bugeye

Drives: Black Yaris
Ok cool.
Might start pricing parts up.
I really wanted to keep the corolla box over the Yaris 5 speed due to my daily m7 run.

Still in the back of my mind I’m concerned with keys/immobilizes also,
5 stud and disc brake rear would be awesome also
Bugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:19 AM   #22
stidnam

Yeah fair enough. Being up front about costs, you're looking at the best part of $1000 for all the required brackets and isolators. Or you can go down the route that others have and only swap the engine side bracket over and keep your C54 (assuming the AU version bolts up).

The immobilser concerns me as well, but I take some solace in what Adam did to register his ECU to the immobiliser ECU. There's clear instructions on how to do it, and it sounds fairly logical.

Disc brake rear end is never happening I'm sorry unless you import the rear end from Japan at an unearthly cost :( We never got any Yaris or equiv chassis with a disc brake rear end I'm afraid.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #23
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Not sure about your market. But 2 months ago I found a 2012 Yaris se with rear disks in the u-pull yard. Don't ask me why it was there. 2012 was about 6 years newer than any other car there. $50 got me an axle that essentially had to be stripped and rebuilt (wheel bearings, calipers and brackets, ebrake cables) even though I have to replace all that, I'm still looking at a rear disk conversion for $700cad with all new parts. Not bad...

I think its just one of those things.... Some will have avenues of making it happen... Some won't.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #24
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
Disc brake rear end is never happening I'm sorry unless you import the rear end from Japan at an unearthly cost :( We never got any Yaris or equiv chassis with a disc brake rear end I'm afraid.
So you're telling me that your Yaris ZR, which looks exactly like our Yaris SE, has drum brakes? Interesting as our SE has discs.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #25
stidnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
So you're telling me that your Yaris ZR, which looks exactly like our Yaris SE, has drum brakes? Interesting as our SE has discs.
Yup! The bean counters here in Aus Toyota must have decided it wasn't worth it :(. The ZR has been the top of the line model since the first Gen 3 came out, and it's never had a disc brake rear end.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:36 AM   #26
stidnam

Airbox has been purchased and is coming from a Toyota IST in Japan. Lucky enough to have all the pipe work and even an airflow meter (getting swapped out anyway).

Pretty much just the drive shafts left now to source, and a few odds and ends from Toyota.

Last edited by stidnam; 01-25-2019 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:54 AM   #27
stidnam

Well after a full days work on Friday, the donor Corolla is now stripped and engine is out. The engine pull was rather easy - no engine lifter needed. Just jacked the car up, then lowered the front back down just enough to rest the engine on a dolly, unbolted the mounts and wheeled it out :).

I've had a better look at the EC60 gearbox. The casing is a lot shorter than that of the C60, and based on what I can see, all the Yaris mounts I've purchased should bolt up. I actually need to check if the factory ZRE152 corolla side mount already fits. Doubt it, but I'll do a side by side comparison.

I'd love to be able to run that front mount as well on the Yaris. Ashame there's no provision for it.

I also checked the spline count on the drive shaft. I can confirm that it has 20 splines, further adding to my confidence that XD shafts will work with this gearbox. I'm now going to take a punt and just buy a set out of the US.

I don't expect anyone to believe that all of this will bolt straight in and clear everything until it's done. Regarding that point, I'm now contemplating the purchase of a written off Yaris to strip as well as test fit everything and get the exhaust and wiring all sorted for a full plug and play experience.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #28
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Looks like the clutch lines fit as well? Or is that still in the donor?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #29
stidnam

Nah that's still in the donor before I dropped it out
Old 02-19-2019, 05:18 AM   #30
stidnam

Small update and just a confirmation of previous assumptions

I can confirm the lower gearbox bracket for the Scion XD bolts to the bottom of the EC60 gearbox and all mounting holes are threaded on my EC60.

The GRMN side gearbox bracket also bolts to the EC60. This bracket is significantly different to the one for the ZRE152 chassis, as expected. Unfortunately though, it would seem that this bracket comes with small tab on the side that looks like it's used to clip a wiring loom on, and this fouls with the counter weight (?) on the shifter assembly. Guess I'll either bend it or chop it off all together pending actual installation. There's already a bracket on the gearbox to support the wiring loom that goes to the speed sensor.

Just needs LSD now ;)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:28 AM   #31
stidnam

Just a quick update on a couple of things.

Driveshafts

I ordered left and right Scion XD drive shafts from the US, which turned up today. Unfortunately the wrecker either didn't inspect them correctly or didn't pack them well enough as the front right has a nice slit in the boot and was oozing CV grease all through the package.

As a side note, I really feel sorry for those of you who have to deal with snowy conditions and salt roads. These drive shafts looked as if someone had given them a bath in the ocean. Doesn't really surprise me given how much rot I see under cars subjected to salt roads :(

Anyway, I took the right hand shaft down to the drive shaft shop and we went hunting through what they had in stock that matched the same specs as the XD shaft. I had already done some research and had a pretty good idea. We ended up confirming that a ZZE122 2006 model Corolla was a perfect match (spline counts, shaft length, seal surface etc all seem to match). Based on my research, the left hand shaft is a match as well in length. It would have been nice to know this from the start, but hopefully it's good news for anyone doing the conversion here in Aus and wanting local options for drive shafts.

Shifter cables.

Overall good news on this front as well, but I fear I may have wasted some money in the meantime trying to work out my options. I ordered some shifter cables from a UK Yaris running a 1nr and EC60 combo. Total punt in hopes they fit. I received them the other week and have taken measurements against the Scion IM/Corolla cables I have. The bad news is I don't think they'll fit. I believe the 1nr/EC60 combo from the UK Yaris sits about 20 - 30mm closer to the firewall than what the 2zr/EC60 combo does. Unfortunately, the Scion IM/Corolla shift cables are around 70mm longer than the 1nr/EC60 combo and it's likely they'll just be excessively long.

To top it all off, the 1nr/EC60 cables don't latch into the shifter cage in the same way the Scion/Corolla cables do. If the 1nr/EC60 cables end up fitting, they'll most likely require me to buy the Euro spec shifter cage as well to properly secure them.

The good news is I found a company here in Sydney Australia who are able to make me up brand new shifter cables for around 200 AUD. That should enable me to supply them with the plate that seals the cables to the floor, and I should end up with cables that fit perfectly.

Hope this helps out someone in the future :)

Not long until there's no reason not to start pulling everything apart!
Old 03-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #32
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Was just thinking about this recently!

Good to hear you're making headway. Ya, the salt use on the roads here makes wrenching more ... awesome? Too bad about the buggered CV boot, but glad you got it sorted; and found an alternate source for the one side!

That's good news you are able to get shift cables made-up if need be, but too bad about that the other stock cables haven't worked out - unfortunate side effect of researching solutions. Have you had a change to measure how the stock Yaris cables compare? I guess until you pull it apart you won't be able to measure for sure.. lol We know they mate to the shift cage correctly since they're stock, but just wondering if the transmission end is compatible and how the length is comparatively; or you've already said and my brain is melted.. lol

Looking forward to seeing how you make out as you get everything installed.

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #33
stidnam

The ebay seller was really good about the shaft and refunded me the cost of that shaft. The refund will cover a reconditioned zze122 shaft, so no loss. Might even get the boot replaced on this shaft and keep it as a spare. Kind of erks me putting in shafts that look all rusty even though no one ever sees them.

I can say with good certainty that the factory 1nz/C50 shifter cables will be totally useless. The shifter setup on the C series gearboxes is completely different. I'm fairly confident I'll need custom at this point. The only other car that might have any remote chance of donating its shifter cables is a manual C-HR. Too much effort to try and find one being wrecked to even check.

Adam, as you point out, all this is just the cost of research right. I'm hoping it helps someone else out at the end of the day.

So literally the only things left to acquire are a new clutch and a quaife diff ;)
Old 03-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #34
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I feel your pain on the research costs. I bought 4 different C5x gearboxes when I was figuring out gear ratio swaps and which LSD goes in. I somehow bought the wrong LSD and had to pay a 25% restock fee. Ouch!

Really excited to see things moving along on this!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:02 AM   #35
stidnam

*edit*

May have just jumped the gun here a little. I've been mapping the wiring for the conversion this weekend and thought I'd come across a problem with a difference in speed sensors, but does anyone know whether the speedometer signal on a gen 3 is fed off the wheel sensors as opposed to a gearbox sensor? I'm assuming it is.

I jumped to conclusions when I looked at the non-abs wiring diagrams and saw the speed sensor in the actual gearbox. Had me worried for a second there.

Last edited by stidnam; 05-05-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:18 AM   #36
saikouguy

Drives: Toyota Echo
Awesome stuff. Judging from the photos you're based somewhere in Sydney/NSW. Can't wait to see the first 2ZR swapped Yaris/Echo in Australia.
saikouguy is offline   Reply With Quote