Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2007, 03:25 AM   #1
eijikikimaru
Q(','Q)

Drives: 3dr Meteroite
Post Ignition Key Light 56k unfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Ignition Key Light

This is pretty fancy, looks to be just a plug-and-play installation, electrics-wise.
Like good old Thomas said, looks to be just a plug-and-play installation, electric wise. However I did this DIY for those of us that are pretty new to these types of electronic things. So if purchasing the Thailand GB ignition key light for the 3dr US LB then I'll show what I did. If this works for all others version great if not, I don't know how to help because I'm not a wiz at these type of things. I did this DIY because Team Thailand version a bit different and didn't explain a lot for us noobs ^_^

Tools
Phillip head screwdriver
Zip ties (provided in the package)

Step 1a:
Removing the 3 screws. There are two located behind the steering wheel and one below. Just turn your wheel and you'll be able to see the two up top. The one below will be located near the steering wheel height adjuster. (pictured with screws removed.
Left side

Right side

Underneath

Step 1b:
Pull this panel towards you and down. It's a fold down type and pops out when the right amount of force. Too much and you may bend/break it.
Closed/Opened

Step 1c:
Remove the (not so)secret compartment by first lifting the bottom two corners first to unlatch them and then slide the compartment down where then it lines up to two opening holes so you can pull out the whole secret compartment. To put back in reverse this step.
Close up of the bottom corners of the secret compartment. The side with the handle is facing the ground in this picture.

Close up on the top left side opening. Mirror image on the right side.

Last edited by eijikikimaru; 07-06-2007 at 04:12 AM.
eijikikimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:25 AM   #2
eijikikimaru
Q(','Q)

Continuing

Step 2a
As you open up the compartment you'll see one of your fuse boxes.It'll look like this

You will want to remove the white top left plug/connector. Circled for better understanding

Step 2b
So this part threw me off because I never seen this before and didn't know where it belonged looking at the old Thai DIY ignition set up They didn't have this clean plug and play version.The long black thing top left of ignition light is the relay

Stick the OEM male into the A.M. (after market *just call it that*) female connector.

Insert AM male into fusebox and it will set power to the ignition light. *recommend insert AM male after setting up the ignition light*

I wrapped my ignition light behind the black-bar (Step 1b picture #2) and zip tied it along with the extra length of the cord since you don't need that much.

Step 3a:
*Optional* Stick the black sticker onto the ignition light. If not done, the finish looks doesn't look as clean because you see the clear plastic that not suppose to show, peek thru cracks. Line up the triangle. and fold the corner of the rectangle onto the ignition light.(yeah I can't line things up well apparently)

Step 3b Insert light. It fits around the key hole.

Complete Step 2b pic#3 and you're pretty much done dirty version.

Clean version is putting all the parts back on:
Secret compartment
Under panel
Steering will bottom cover

FINISHED LOOK

Day

Night

Passenger side View

Last edited by eijikikimaru; 07-06-2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:11 AM   #3
eijikikimaru
Q(','Q)

Hope this helps those who are interested in the Thailand Ignition light. I'm aware that Thomas will no longer be with us as often as he used to be, but if those of you who purchased in Thai GB #2 then hope this'll help out.

Those of you who still wish to purchase one and find a different mean to get a ignition light great! Here's a semi-guide for those that are a bit clueless like I was.

Here's team Thailand guide
Old 07-06-2007, 06:00 AM   #4
njyaris
YARIS NEWBIE

Drives: YARIS 07 LIFTBACK
Send a message via AIM to njyaris Send a message via Yahoo to njyaris
nice interior mod .. curious how much that cost ..
Old 07-06-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Thanks eijikikimaru... I bought this from MC-BPT 6 months ago, but haven't gotten around to installing it... partially b/c of the *all japanese* instructions. Oh well... it's not that hard, is it? I'll do it this weekend!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
yeah i bought one of these form this gb so this will help me alot... one thing tho where is the fuse circled?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
sweetness!!! well done, dude!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
eijikikimaru
Q(','Q)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njyaris View Post
nice interior mod .. curious how much that cost ..
Well in EtimAgo first GB I think it was a little cheaper then $105 but I don't remember since it's been over a month since I purchased it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Zaius View Post
Thanks eijikikimaru... I bought this from MC-BPT 6 months ago, but haven't gotten around to installing it... partially b/c of the *all japanese* instructions. Oh well... it's not that hard, is it? I'll do it this weekend!
Since you bought yours from MC-BPT 6 I don't know if it's exactly alike but if so then the installation is not hard at all. It's just a little time consuming the first time you do it. If all things go smoothly expect it to take no longer then 30mins. It should take no move then an hour even as a first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkratt View Post
one thing tho where is the fuse circled?
I'm sorry in advance if I don't make sense, I just woke up. If I understood your question correctly then the fuse circled, I'm assuming you mean the fuse box? If so then the fuse box is located right behind the secret compartment(For my US model bottom left hand driver side, near the driver side speaker).
The connector that needs to be pulled is about 3inchs up from the bottom left side of the fuse box.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
ahh the laptop i was on for somereason did not know the circle... now im at home an d i feel like an idiot
Old 07-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
I wonder if the one sold by Japanparts.com is the same one as from Etimago's GB ?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #11
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I'm pretty sure it is the same thing, but like Doc Zaius', with all-japanese instructions. Not that it really matters now with this great writeup

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #12
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Great DIY! Love the blue color. Nice to know it will go with the blue AC panel LEDs I have. Gotta add this to my list. Please post the link to order the one outside the group buy.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #13
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
looks nice, but $100 for THAT? mm.. I dont know how they can justify charging that much for some wire, plastic and leds...
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #14
taKuto
rice rocket

Drives: 05 Echo
and timing circuit to turn off the light once triggered :)
taKuto is offline   Reply With Quote