Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
elcam84

Drives: 08 Yaris
07 Yaris loses electrical power intermittently.

Been fighting this problem for a while now. A little info is at the bottom of this previous post. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30758

Basically it started with her getting in and when she turned put her foot on the clutch the starter would turn over the engine with the key off or not even in the ign. Nothing else would work IE no lights nothing except the starter running. After the attempts in that previous thread it worked fine for a few months.

Now it has recently began doing it again and today it died 4 times on her. 3 times right at the house. It died at the stop sign and I put the key in it and turned it on. After a few seconds while pushing it the power came back. Then as I turned the wheel to head into the driveway all power was lost again.

A few times she has driven it the electrical power has died when she had the steering wheel at near full lock. When I was pushing it into the driveway it wasn't at full lock when it lost elec but it was close.

It's beginning to look like there is a possibility there is an issue with the electric steering. Either something is shorting out in it or it's drawing too many amps. Have seen allot of issues over various cars and years related to bad steering control modules. Almost acting like a main breaker tripping and resetting.

When it acts up... Nothing electrical works at all. No headlights dome light anything. Turning the key does nothing. The only thing that does work is that when you push in the clutch the starter runs.
At this time when I check voltages all circuits in the fuse box have power. Using the body as a ground not the battery.

I used to be an ASE tech and this one has me stumped. I have diagrams for the car but they are poorly drawn and incomplete in some cases but that's not uncommon for what I have seen for Toyota cars in the past but not as bad as the diagrams or non existent ones for chrysler of the past.

Any bright ideas are greatly appreciated. This car has become a major money pit and need to get this fixed so we can sell it.
Have already done the clutch,wheel bearings,lower control arms,ign switch,strut bearings need to be done etc. The reprogrammed ECM greatly improved idle and drivability. Still haven't sent the old one back. Arghh.
elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcam84 View Post
Been fighting this problem for a while now. A little info is at the bottom of this previous post. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30758

Basically it started with her getting in and when she turned put her foot on the clutch the starter would turn over the engine with the key off or not even in the ign. Nothing else would work IE no lights nothing except the starter running. After the attempts in that previous thread it worked fine for a few months.

Now it has recently began doing it again and today it died 4 times on her. 3 times right at the house. It died at the stop sign and I put the key in it and turned it on. After a few seconds while pushing it the power came back. Then as I turned the wheel to head into the driveway all power was lost again.

A few times she has driven it the electrical power has died when she had the steering wheel at near full lock. When I was pushing it into the driveway it wasn't at full lock when it lost elec but it was close.

It's beginning to look like there is a possibility there is an issue with the electric steering. Either something is shorting out in it or it's drawing too many amps. Have seen allot of issues over various cars and years related to bad steering control modules. Almost acting like a main breaker tripping and resetting.

When it acts up... Nothing electrical works at all. No headlights dome light anything. Turning the key does nothing. The only thing that does work is that when you push in the clutch the starter runs.
At this time when I check voltages all circuits in the fuse box have power. Using the body as a ground not the battery.

I used to be an ASE tech and this one has me stumped. I have diagrams for the car but they are poorly drawn and incomplete in some cases but that's not uncommon for what I have seen for Toyota cars in the past but not as bad as the diagrams or non existent ones for chrysler of the past.

Any bright ideas are greatly appreciated. This car has become a major money pit and need to get this fixed so we can sell it.
Have already done the clutch,wheel bearings,lower control arms,ign switch,strut bearings need to be done etc. The reprogrammed ECM greatly improved idle and drivability. Still haven't sent the old one back. Arghh.
I had a similar problem recently with my snowplow Yaris cutting out when I would crank the wheel while stopped (or lift of lower the plow blade). Mine turned out to be that the belt was crazy loose to where it would slip on the alternator when the alternator was under load.

Are you saying as well that the replacement ECM is now doing the thing where the starter runs as soon as you step on the clutch?
Old 02-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
elcam84

Drives: 08 Yaris
Yup. It just started doing it again recently. But the ECM made a noticeable improvement in idle.

It died at the stop sign on her and did the clutch cranking thing. I walked to the car turned the key on so I could steer. As I started pushing it back the power came back (radio came on) and then as I turned the wheel to the right to push it straight in the driveway the power quit again.
elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

This is so strange. I'd still like to understand what fails within the ECM to cause the clutch crank issue. From there the key is to figure out what causes the failure.

For the cut out, check the belt, and also measure the battery voltage while rotating the wheel back and forth to see how low it drops.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
bendavid48

Drives: Yaris 07
How does a clueless guy know if his yaris is a US/Canada/European made?
Where to do a vin# search?
bendavid48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendavid48 View Post
How does a clueless guy know if his yaris is a US/Canada/European made?
Where to do a vin# search?
If it is an 07 and lives in the US, it was made in Japan.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
bendavid48

Drives: Yaris 07
Thanks CTScott
I am actually trying to follow your DIY CC installation guide in my 07 Yaris.
(As well as an interesting post showing how to build a CC 4 switch pannel).
Had some issues recognizing the D3 connector and the comment "only on North American models" came to mind.
Some connectors at the engine bay did resemble the pictures shown.
Basically, I am trying to figure out if the DIY guides are applicable to my 07 Yaris.
bendavid48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendavid48 View Post
Thanks CTScott
I am actually trying to follow your DIY CC installation guide in my 07 Yaris.
(As well as an interesting post showing how to build a CC 4 switch pannel).
Had some issues recognizing the D3 connector and the comment "only on North American models" came to mind.
Some connectors at the engine bay did resemble the pictures shown.
Basically, I am trying to figure out if the DIY guides are applicable to my 07 Yaris.
Yes. All US/Canada Yaris from 2006-2011 are essentially identical as far as the DIYs go. The only difference is that on 06-08 the D3 pins are not present, but the connector and the pin position is identical. If you think you are seeing different connectors you are looking at the wrong place.