Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2008, 11:09 PM   #19
Reddog99

Drives: '08 Yaris
The hockey puck idea is great, but there aren't many of those just laying around here in southern California. I use a 4" long piece of 2x4 with the same slot cut in it. It doesn't look nearly as trick, but the material is readily available.

Those central lift points are on my '08, too.
Reddog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:08 AM   #20
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Here's another suggestion guys: http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #21
greggg3

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Are these jack point new to the 09? This is from my owners manual:

This is the same as my owners manual, and its time to rotate the tires. I'm confused about the rear jack point however. In the diagram it looks like it supposed to be in the center but there is no such piece in the center. There is something that looks similar but its about 8" off to the right (to the passenger side of center, about in line with the right side of the indentation for the license plate.

Is this where everyone is putting the floor jack? And then where do you put the jackstands to support the car while you go up front with the floor jack, to swap the tires?

I know this probably sounds like I'm an idiot. I don't think I am, I've rebuilt engines, do my own brakes and oil changes, etc. Its just that everything seems so thin and tiny, I'm worried about bending something. So I thought I'd ask where everyone else is jacking up theirs at (rotating the tires every 5,000 miles so I'll be doing this alot). Also are most of you leaving the car supported on jackstands while you swap the wheels or do you have a full size spare that you put on to set the car down on while you go swap the wheel?
greggg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The rear one is off center. When you jack it from that point the right is about two inches higher than the left.

For rotating tires, if you jack it by the side rail a little forward of center, you can get the front and rear of that side off the ground at the same time. I use a slit hockey puck on my floor jack and a pair of jack stands.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:27 AM   #23
greggg3

OK, thanks CTScott, that would certainly make it easy for rotating tires. You follow the manual then and just rotate front to back only when you rotate?

To make sure I've got it, you're saying if you use the slit hockey puck, and put the underbody seam in the slit, you can pretty much lift the car anywhere along the side like this without bending or damaging anything?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:48 AM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
OK, thanks CTScott, that would certainly make it easy for rotating tires. You follow the manual then and just rotate front to back only when you rotate?

To make sure I've got it, you're saying if you use the slit hockey puck, and put the underbody seam in the slit, you can pretty much lift the car anywhere along the side like this without bending or damaging anything?
Yes, with radials it's always just front to back rotation.

The hockey puck does protects the seam edge from scraping of the paint, as well as bending of it. I have jacked the car at various points along that side seam without any damage. The owners manual shows using the scissor jack close to the ends, but I think that that is because of the capacity of the jack and because it discusses changing a flat tire.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:06 AM   #25
greggg3

Thanks, I'm on board, now. This forum is great.

I'm off to Dunham's for some hockey pucks!
Old 09-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #26
YaYa1320
YaYa

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Mine are bending a bit also, for hockey puck!!!
YaYa1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #27
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
too bad you guys are too far I just trow a bag full of hockey puck last week because they where very dry!!! too dangerous to play hockey but would have been perfect for jacking the car up!
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #28
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB900F2 View Post
Try this...Take a hockey puck, and on a table saw, and cut a grove down the middle.. works great!..

I use it for the jack and also with jack stands.. For the jack stand, you will need the flat top style, not axle stands..
Great idea with the puck. Leave it to a Canuck!
Off to my basement to dig one out...

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:13 AM   #29
guyver408

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5dr
Jack points

Good thread folks - please help clarify a few points. For reference, I have a 2009 Yaris hatchback w/no modifications & standard tires.

I purchased a scissor jack (15" fully extended) since the OEM one seems flimsy.

The front Jack point shown in the manual & in this thread is unreachable & I dont see how anyone can reach it esp on a freeway with a flat. The rear jack point I could not even clear the tires off the ground at full 15" extension.

I'd like to try the side rails everyone is speaking of (for service & even flat tire repair). Can someone take a photo or show in diagram approximate location. The seams folks are speaking about seem very flimsy & I'm concerned are not strong enough (I have a hockey puck ready to go).

I've found alternate frame locations, but am concerned they may not be strong enough.

Has anyone tried the OEM jack on the rear & do their tires clear the floor?
guyver408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:42 AM   #30
guyver408

OK, just found attached thread w/photos

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ht=jack&page=3

any idea why Yaris manual does not show these points?????
Old 11-30-2009, 04:00 AM   #31
Cosmonaut
The Last Baron

Drives: 09 Polar White HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver408 View Post
Good thread folks - please help clarify a few points. For reference, I have a 2009 Yaris hatchback w/no modifications & standard tires.

I purchased a scissor jack (15" fully extended) since the OEM one seems flimsy.

The front Jack point shown in the manual & in this thread is unreachable & I dont see how anyone can reach it esp on a freeway with a flat. The rear jack point I could not even clear the tires off the ground at full 15" extension.

I'd like to try the side rails everyone is speaking of (for service & even flat tire repair). Can someone take a photo or show in diagram approximate location. The seams folks are speaking about seem very flimsy & I'm concerned are not strong enough (I have a hockey puck ready to go).

I've found alternate frame locations, but am concerned they may not be strong enough.

Has anyone tried the OEM jack on the rear & do their tires clear the floor?
i had the same problem using the rear jack point. the tires dont clear. i never found the front point though. have not yet tried the OEM jack though.

| UR 19mm sway |
Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:51 AM   #32
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The OEM jack is only for lifting from the sides, one wheel at a time. The front and rear jack points are for lifting the car with a floor jack. Because of the position of the rear point, a 20" lift jack is required to get the rear tires off of the ground. The front lift point is more than 30" under the car, so an extended reach jack is required to lift from that point, unless you put it on ramps first to give the necessary clearance to be able to pump the jack.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #33
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The front lift point is more than 30" under the car, so an extended reach jack is required to lift from that point, unless you put it on ramps first to give the necessary clearance to be able to pump the jack.
I agree. The front jack point is hard to lift even with a small 2 ton tack.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #34
guyver408

Any idea why the manual does not show how to use the OEM jack with the side lift points? Did I miss something?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #35
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver408 View Post
Any idea why the manual does not show how to use the OEM jack with the side lift points? Did I miss something?
Look at the section called "If you have a flat tire."
Old 11-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #36
guyver408

Whoops - I guess I should read the entire manual. That's embarrassing!

I think I'm beginning to rely more on this fantastic forum than my own brain.