Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
xxcanuckxx

Drives: 2015 SE HB
Question Tail lights, 3rd Brake Light stay on when everything is switched off

2007 3 door Yaris Hatchback RS Manual Transmission
Braking still makes the lights significantly brighter, so I am safe driving.
Played with the brake pedal switch, disconnected it, doesn't solve problem.
Removing blue "15" fuse (in engine bay fuse box), turns the lights off and also makes the remote lock stop working. I am pulling the fuse out when I park, but not an ideal long term solution!
Please Help! I am not ready for a new car yet!
xxcanuckxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #2
TiedBassDrummer

Drives: 08 Yaris 3dr
I'm no where near an expert when it comes to electrical problems, but that sounds like the brake light has a short to ground? From lurking in plenty of automotive repair forums, that seem like a go-to first check in this kind of situation.
TiedBassDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:12 PM   #3
xxcanuckxx

Drives: 2015 SE HB
That's what I am thinking... I seem to remember some water collecting in the spare tire well in years past. I haven't opened my trunk in ages, I am wondering if there is a puddle in there somewhere...
I might be fooling myself, but I think it only happens on wet days, and warmer weather. This cold snap seems to have eliminated the problem... I probably have a less conductive block of ice in there right now...
xxcanuckxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
The only thing that comes to mind is that there's no wires down there for a puddle of water to affect. The only wires that go that low into the trunk pan is for the licence plate light. The rest of the wires for the tail lights, defroster and whatnot are routed over the wheel well and up the C pillar. I'd maybe check under the drivers door sill. 2 of the yaris I've had have had rust there. Maybe some corrosion? Or possible pinch point? For the 10 seconds it takes to remove it, worth taking a poke around.

There's also a ground location above both wheel wells. 10mm bolt. Possible loose ground? I'd pull the back panels off and take a look at everything. But be careful. Don't pull off the panels in the cold. You will break clips.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
for a proper diagnosis grab a repair manual and take a look at the electrical wiring diagram (EWD) for that circuit. It is likely a short to ground as stated above, probably a pinched wire. The colder it gets the stiffer the wires become and less plyable they are to bend and make contact with the frame.

The other cheaper option is to just remove the 3rd brake light completely. It is not illegal (in Ontario at least) to only have 2 working brake lights, nor is it unsafe as long as your others work properly. It is however a requirement for cars rolled off the assembly line to have 3 brake lights.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:51 AM   #6
Jwburgess

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 1.5L Hatchba
My problem is the opposite of this. My brake lights stay on only when the engine is running. I have checked the wiring and the brake switch.2007 Yaris Hatchback
Jwburgess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake light, electrical, gremlin, stays on