Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
jcooper

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2008 YRS
Replacing factory speakers (noob)

Hey guys, im new here

My friend is giving 2 160W DNA speakers, they are 6.5"

I have a Yaris YRS Sedan, 2007 or 2008 model (not completely sure)

Will these new speakers raise the quality of the stock ones? the stocks do an okay job, i like the bass they give off!

Are they easy enough to put in? Will i be able to mount them in the front door speakers or the ones at the rear? (or both)

Thanks

Jack
jcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
give us a link.... I can't find anything about DNA speakers... just DNA speaker spacers.

most 95% of aftermarket speakers will be an improvement... tho some will be a marginal improvement. You'll need some speaker spacers to install them. It's not too hard to install. If you've ever done any electrical or mechanical work before it should be a fairly smooth process once you get the door panels off.

6.5's will fit in the front, tho you'll need a spacer/adapter...

without seeing some info on those speakers... what little I do know would have me be hessitant about installing those and expecting much of an improvement... The fact I can't find any info on them is a little concerning.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
http://www.dnaaudio.com.au/#menu_cat

maybe that?
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
talnlnky
Audio Junky

hmmm probably the triaxial set on there.... 55rms... that's more realistic. If I had to guess, these proably retail around $50-$70 US a pair. The 2nd tweeter is just a marketing gimmick and doesn't really help the sound out at all. If you don't have money to spend, it'll be an improvement, but if I were you, i'd save up $100-150 US and buy a set of 6.5" components instead.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
I installed some Pioneer coax 6.5" speakers in the front and rear positions of my Yaris 3-door hatch.

Running them off the deck power. Maybe 15 watts RMS per channel.
They sound very nice, but they put out LESS bass than the factory crap speakers did.
Doesn't matter, because I use a Hi-Pass filter on them, and I have a subwoofer for the low freq's.

If you are running coax speakers off deck power, look for the most efficient one's you can find.
The more efficient, the louder and cleaner they will sound.
My coax speakers have a 94db sensitivity rating, so they work well with low power.

A 6.5" coax speaker is only good for hi's and mid's. Don't even try to make them play bass. That is not what they are designed for.
Bass signals will only serve to distort their output.

You need bass? Get a sub(s) and amp.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:36 AM   #6
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Mantis View Post
I installed some Pioneer coax 6.5" speakers in the front and rear positions of my Yaris 3-door hatch.

Running them off the deck power. Maybe 15 watts RMS per channel.
They sound very nice, but they put out LESS bass than the factory crap speakers did.
Doesn't matter, because I use a Hi-Pass filter on them, and I have a subwoofer for the low freq's.

If you are running coax speakers off deck power, look for the most efficient one's you can find.
The more efficient, the louder and cleaner they will sound.
My coax speakers have a 94db sensitivity rating, so they work well with low power.

A 6.5" coax speaker is only good for hi's and mid's. Don't even try to make them play bass. That is not what they are designed for.
Bass signals will only serve to distort their output.

You need bass? Get a sub(s) and amp.
I have a pair of 6.5" speakers in my closet upstairs that would make you mess your pants if you heard how much bass they put out... and yes, they are midranges.... but they have more stroke than most 8" subs do (12mm x-max)... course they are by no means regular car speakers... and are very rare.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:44 AM   #7
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
I was talking about most mainstream car audio stuff.

You got some exotics? Lets see some pics of those bad boys!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Also, take a look at the sound deadening stickies and other posts. You'll see how to take apart your doors correctly.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Mantis View Post
I was talking about most mainstream car audio stuff.

You got some exotics? Lets see some pics of those bad boys!

http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/Vi...6-2.html#watch

or

http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/Vi...6-1.html#watch

the second video sounds horrible... I think he's just playing it 16ohm off the outlet @ 60hz... but maybe not... regardless, there is something slapping.... not sure if its the moving parts on the speaker, or the speaker bouncing on the desktop...

anyways, it was designed to be a high end home theater driver using a very small neodymium motor.. but people started putting them in cars too.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
Replacing stock speakers isn't hard at all. I replaced mine last week and it was my first time doing it.

You can even cut off the stock speaker with an x-acto knife and you're left with a really good spacer. That's what I did anyway, when mouting components on the front last week. Hardest part was mounting the tweeters (had to mutilate my door panels to have them flush mounted).

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
Malifabian

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2008
Too bad a lot of the sticky's are for the HB, but they come in handy whenever you wanna do the DIY's. Replacing those stock speakers is a Must! Once you do, you will be happy with the sound of your music or radio
Malifabian is offline   Reply With Quote