Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-24-2019, 09:25 PM   #1
Brighton
Knower of little

Drives: None
Brightons Build Thread

Hello All!

First off, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this so mods feel free to move it!
To summarize: I picked up an 07 Yaris Hatch Auto with 93k on it as my new commuter (250miles a week stop-and-go traffic) :/
I plan to do a decent amount of cosmetic mods as well as a few mechanical mods to make the car exactly what I want. I prefer mods that let a car use all the power it has to offer as well as be as responsive as it can, so not looking for a ton of power or building for a specific purpose.

I won't list maintenance items as a mod but everything will be factory spec stuff

Mods Done
-K&N Panel filter
-Rear De-badge
-Painted 15x5.5 Steelies on generic cheap all-season tires
-Wagner ceramic front pads and rotors
-M5-0.80 stubby antenna (Search for an antenna for an R56 Mini Cooper)
-4300k LED interior lights and exterior marker lights
-Rust treated and then bedlined entire under chassis
-Clay barred, polished and ceramic coated paint
-Gloss black vinyl roof wrap
-Optima red top battery
-License Plate tow hook mount
-JBL Full Stereo
-Subaru Horns
-Sound Deadening
-35% ceramic tint all the way around

To Do Mods
-Aluminum wheels with street tires (16/17in tbd)
-Joying (or equivalent) double din head unit
-Better bucket seats
-Matching door cards to go with the seats

Here is the car the day after I got it, totally stock
photo4992250675706570814.jpg
photo4992250675706570815.jpg

How it sits currently
photo5028370646291294224.jpg
photo5028370646291294225.jpg

Last edited by Brighton; 05-12-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Brighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:41 AM   #2
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Minty! Nice ride!
2 door too!

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Looks really clean and you have good plans for it!
Old 07-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Looking forward to following along!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:51 PM   #5
johnwk

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
Would you mind telling us more about the rust-treating and bedlining, such as how much money, labor, and reasoning you put into it?
johnwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
Brighton
Knower of little

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwk View Post
Would you mind telling us more about the rust-treating and bedlining, such as how much money, labor, and reasoning you put into it?
Sure! Answering them out of order, the reasoning is that the car came out of PA and although it doesn't show much rust yet, I don't want to take any chances. I've had a fair share of cars develop rust and it's a pain to deal with down the line.
To start off, I spent 30 minutes or so wiring brushing all the questionable or rusted areas, which was only spot welds and a few seam welds. Then I wiped down all the rusted areas with brake clean to remove the loose rust/dirt. After that I sprayed all the areas in question the rust reformer paint ($7 per can and used 1.5 cans)
Once that had cured, I started coating the underside with bed armor ($14 per can and used 2 cans)The reason I did bed liner instead of undercoating is the rubberized undercoating holds dirt and is porous and I've seen it become cancerous before. So I opted for something that would cure much more solid and durable and I prefer smooth finish instead of the normal textured bed liner.

So estimate cost $42 and I'd say 3-4 hours of time. (I got it all done in the same day)
Old 07-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Nice! It does look pristine underneath. I would still oil spray it with a thin creeping product after your bedliner has cured. It is virtually impossible to ensure that water won't make it through the bedliner and sit there doing its nasty work. I love the bedliner and use it in my wheel wells if the factory undercoating is gone. But, I still make sure to oil spray it. It will creep in and displace moisture in tiny cracks and fissures. Also, IMO, most of the corrosion that occurs at the body seams happens from water that comes from inside the car - moist mats from footwear etc. Carpets get damp and stay that way for a long time. I sometimes pull the carpets up, spray an oil-based rust-proofing compound, cover it in plastic, then lay the carpet back down.

The vast majority of rust-induced structural damage comes from within. I concentrate 90% of my efforts pertaining to rust-proofing on deliverying product to interior panels. I rarely have to add any thicker material underneath.

That's an awesome little car you have there!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 07-28-2019 at 08:21 AM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #8
Brighton
Knower of little

Weekend Update

Nothing too terribly exciting done this weekend but I figured I'd write about it anyway.
I shampooed the interior and although the seats looked fine, I got a lot of nasty brown stuff out of them, I can only assume it was many spilt caramel mocha lattes (I got the car from a college chick)
Jul 28 (14).JPG

I found the exhaust leak and welded it and opted to install a new less restrictive muffler and also painted it with exhaust paint to limit premature corrosion
Jul 28 (1).JPG

I pulled off the rear drums to inspect them since they have an unknown service history. I flushed and bled the brake system. All of the original brake components were in good order too, which is surprising but saves me money so can't complain.
Jul 28 (18).JPG

I don't have any pictures to go along with it but I also hardwired a dash cam and still no luck on finding hybrid emblems that are the right size. The dealer didn't have many in stock for me to test fit so I'll have to keep looking.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:42 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton View Post
Weekend Update

Nothing too terribly exciting done this weekend but I figured I'd write about it anyway.
I shampooed the interior and although the seats looked fine, I got a lot of nasty brown stuff out of them, I can only assume it was many spilt caramel mocha lattes (I got the car from a college chick)

I found the exhaust leak and welded it and opted to install a new less restrictive muffler and also painted it with exhaust paint to limit premature corrosion

I pulled off the rear drums to inspect them since they have an unknown service history. I flushed and bled the brake system. All of the original brake components were in good order too, which is surprising but saves me money so can't complain.

I don't have any pictures to go along with it but I also hardwired a dash cam and still no luck on finding hybrid emblems that are the right size. The dealer didn't have many in stock for me to test fit so I'll have to keep looking.
That car appears to be in fantastic shape. Other than it being a two-door, the shifter and it's pristene condition, it's almost identical to my 2008. Subscribed to your thread.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:26 PM   #10
Brighton
Knower of little

Weekend Update

Again, not super exciting since the car doesn't need any work currently aside from non urgent 100k stuff. But I did wash the car and fill in all the rock chips and stuff I could find. The previous owner never waxed the car so the roofs paint is at a point I can't save it, so it's either ignore it, sand and reclear it, or (my fave choice) get black vinyl and wrap the roof. I ordered the material to do the roof so I'll probably get that done next weekend.

Before
DSC_0001.JPG

After
DSC_0006.JPG
Old 08-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #11
Brighton
Knower of little

Weekend Update

Sorry for the dark photos, I was eager to get pictures after finishing it. I got the roof wrapped, not nearly a perfect job but I'm happy with it. Also I'm 2 for 2 on aftermarket front tow hook license plate mounts that say they fit and don't. So now the plan is to find an OEM tow hook in the junkyard and custom make a mount out of it.

Aug 11 (8).JPG

I also got my spare optima installed, it's a little shorter than a normal size 35 battery but with a little spacer under the mount, it's now secure.

Aug 11 (10).JPG
Old 08-26-2019, 06:55 PM   #12
Brighton
Knower of little

Weekend Update

Things actually got done! I picked up a roll of adhesive foam insulation (aka cheap dynamat) and I lined the doors and hatch with it to cut down on the cheap car sound when you close the doors as well as help with a bit of sound deadening once I get speakers (I also did this so I can figure out what size speakers to order)

This is the stuff, you can get it at Lowes for $18 a roll. It's in the plumbing section
DSC_0004.JPG

Hatch and Door lined about 40% of the surface area

DSC_0006 (2).JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

After two failed attempts to find an aftermarket license plate mount, I ended up making my own. I started with a standard toyota tow hook, cut it in half, cut a square into it so I can use a wrench to thread it into the car, and then I drilled and tapped the center so I can bolt one of the aftermarket mounts to it. Pretty happy with the results.

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG
Old 08-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #13
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
i bet it gets stolen. HA! j/k
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #14
Leegamer

I've been thinking of plastidipping or vinyl wrapping my roof, hood, and side mirrors because the paint is so bad on them. That vinyl looks great.

any suggestions on brand?
Old 08-28-2019, 10:26 AM   #15
Brighton
Knower of little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
I've been thinking of plastidipping or vinyl wrapping my roof, hood, and side mirrors because the paint is so bad on them. That vinyl looks great.

any suggestions on brand?
Don't do plastidip, it'll only look good for a short period and will be a nightmare to remove down the line. As far as wraps go, stick with Avery or 3M. Also have at least one other person help you, order way too much material, prep the surface repeatedly with alcohol and order plastic prep (vinyl doesn't like to stick to plastic)
Old 08-28-2019, 10:54 AM   #16
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton View Post
Don't do plastidip, it'll only look good for a short period and will be a nightmare to remove down the line. As far as wraps go, stick with Avery or 3M. Also have at least one other person help you, order way too much material, prep the surface repeatedly with alcohol and order plastic prep (vinyl doesn't like to stick to plastic)
Cool, thanks for the tip. Yours looks great.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #17
Brighton
Knower of little

Another Weekend Update

Again not super exciting, but the cars been serving me well and is serving the purpose I bought it for so thats all good. (My old Mini S would have needed something expensive in the same amount of time by now)

BUT I digress, I got around to pulling the center console to replace the shifter light which has been burnt out since I got the car, the bulb that came out was labeled as a 74 and I put in a new 74 and it didn't fit. It fit in with a decent amount of force but it would not touch the contacts so it wouldn't light up. So I took the LED bulb out of the unit linked below (Had one left over from another job) and then put the little green condom thing on it so it'd match the dash. It also seemed loose in the bulb housing so I bent the contacts outward to fit tighter.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...l-led/709/973/

Sep 1 (2).JPG
Sep 1 (7).JPG

Last edited by Brighton; 09-02-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:36 AM   #18
bairjo

Wow! You are ambitious. One thing i would like to comment on. I had to have my muffler replaced and the shop put one on that looks just like the one you put on. It is is not the same shape or dimensions as the OEM. As a result, the edge of the muffler kept bumping the inside wall of the body causing an annoying noise. I took it back and they put in a different one one with a shape resembling a coffee can. It fit better but was not quiet like it should be. It was noisy and sounded cheap. I'm sure there are those on here that would like that, but I didn't. So here is my point. I ended up purchasing a genuine Toyota muffler that looks and sounds like the one that came with the car. My car sounds like new. When it comes to mufflers, I will now always recommend OEM.

Keep up the nice mods!
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote