Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-08-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Increased MPG or HP anyone????

Was curious if anyone was experiencing an increase in miles per gallon or horsepower with an aftermarket Intake or exhaust. I was curious to know if an intake or exhaust would benefit other then looking/sounding better. Let me know what you all are using and your thoughts on the product.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:16 PM   #2
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Give me a couple of weeks and I'll let you know about the AEM cold air intake.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
Yaris TTE JWRC

Drives: 07 5spd red Yaris HB 1.5L 16V
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvryaris
Was curious if anyone was experiencing an increase in miles per gallon or horsepower with an aftermarket Intake or exhaust. I was curious to know if an intake or exhaust would benefit other then looking/sounding better. Let me know what you all are using and your thoughts on the product.

if u increase th HP u are going to lose MPG, the same thing to Increse MPG = lose HP, u cant get it all, the Farrais only get 8-10 MPG, but the got mass HP. so if the intake give u good HP, then u will lose good MPG.
Yaris TTE JWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
Not so true Yaris TTe,I have a TRD CAI,And I noticed a 3-5% increase in milage,no bull.Actually if you are easy on the throttle at all times,you will get an improvment,but ofcourse when you get the CAI or exhaust,you always want to accelarate faster,because now you can.With the CAI,it actually is like compressed/denser air,which will cause your car to use less gas.zthink of it this way,if its real hot out side,air is less dense,so your car replaces lost air with more gas,so when the air is cooler via cold day or CAI system,them you will have better combustion using less gas,its that simple.As for exhaust,it helps reduce back pressure,and at the right rpm will increase the pulse performance,it like it creates a outward vacum that actually helps pull the exhaust out.If you have both CAI and intake,you will get good improvment if you are easy on the throttle,but can you resist when you get those new performance parts.And you cant compare a ferrari with a 4 banger,you dont even want me to start and explain why a ferrari uses more gas!!!
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:29 PM   #5
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I have a TRD cold air and have noticed some MPG improvment, but, as eco stated, I romp on her a little bit more so it is only like 15-20 more miles per tank. hey even rompin on her hard I am gettin 30-33 MPG
Old 10-09-2006, 12:57 AM   #6
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
When my OEM tires expire, I may buy a set of tires with lower rolling resistance and I believe I will get slightly better acceleration and slightly better fuel economy as a result.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:40 AM   #7
Yaris TTE JWRC

Drives: 07 5spd red Yaris HB 1.5L 16V
the bottom line, when u upgrade ur car with performance induction and exhaust system, it will take more fuel then the oem sysem, due to the INCREASE OF AIR FLOW, if u think ur CAI, SR, Header, or exhaust increases ur MPG, its all up in ur head.
Yaris TTE JWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:21 AM   #8
ItsMyDaily
The LittleBastard

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
The only way adding an intake will decrease your mpg is if your busy gunning it all the time to hear the noise of it. When You add these bolt ons such as intake, header, exhaust, it only improves fuel efficiency. Adding more power to the vehicle only makes it easier for the vehicle to move itself. Meaning the engine has less struggle getting the car moving, and also means you are able to apply less gas to get to your desired speed at the right amount of time.

Yes you are adding more air into the engine which helps increase combustion, but you are not adding more fuel to it unless your running an aftermarket ecu. Adding an intake will not make your ecu send more fel into your engine to compensate for the "extra" air. It's set to what it is, and that's that.
If anything with all bolt-ons most cars end up running lean if they don't have an ecu to tune with because the factory ecu will not automatical ajust itself and send more fuel. While this is good for gas, going to lean is not good for the motor on the long run....especially if your always pushing it.

2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback - Current
2004 Honda S2000 - Sold
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 - Sold

DIY: Groundwire Kit
ItsMyDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:24 AM   #9
ItsMyDaily
The LittleBastard

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
and if you need an example.....
when I had my S bone stock I was averages with calm driving around 200-210 on a full tank. After adding my intake/header/test pipe/exhaust/flywheel I was making close to 230whp(this was all on the stock ecu). After all those mods I was averaging with calm driving 235-245 on a full tank.

2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback - Current
2004 Honda S2000 - Sold
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 - Sold

DIY: Groundwire Kit
ItsMyDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #10
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Basic thermodynamics tells you that all other things being equal, when you lower the intake temp, you'll increase effeciency.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #11
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris TTE JWRC
if u increase th HP u are going to lose MPG, the same thing to Increse MPG = lose HP, u cant get it all, the Farrais only get 8-10 MPG, but the got mass HP. so if the intake give u good HP, then u will lose good MPG.
I have just recieved my axle back exhaust from Vibrant. (I'll have pics up on the weekend) It was installed last Friday and I filled up Friday night. I was getting about 500 kms per tank of gas. Right now I have two bars left and I'm already over 450 kms on this tank. My thoughts are that if the engine is flowing better, your running at a lower RPM at the same speed. I've noticed about 500 rpm difference at highway speeds. That way you are using less fuel to go the same speed. Same goes with the intake. I LOVE the sound of my exhaust and it looks sweet.
jcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:34 PM   #12
riceboy

Drives: icebox
Hey Jcove, long time no see!!! Glad to see that you got things worked out with Vibrant, can't wait to see the pics!!! Hey let me know if you're coming out to the fall tour this Sunday....
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:46 AM   #13
bulldogs2k

Drives: '00 s2000, 2007 yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMyDaily
and if you need an example.....
when I had my S bone stock I was averages with calm driving around 200-210 on a full tank. After adding my intake/header/test pipe/exhaust/flywheel I was making close to 230whp(this was all on the stock ecu). After all those mods I was averaging with calm driving 235-245 on a full tank.
I need to get a header and emanage! my goal is 230 to the wheels, but i want to get there with my cats still in place. I will probably buy a test pipe and put my exhaust back on for a quick dyno run.

Get the intake!
bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:43 PM   #14
Ron

Drives: BBM Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcove
My thoughts are that if the engine is flowing better, your running at a lower RPM at the same speed. I've noticed about 500 rpm difference at highway speeds. That way you are using less fuel to go the same speed. Same goes with the intake. I LOVE the sound of my exhaust and it looks sweet.
sorry to say, your thoughts are wrong. RPM and speed is dependent on the gearing of the transaxle. ie. if you are going 100km/h in 5th gear, your rpm will ALWAYS be the same. the ONLY way for any changes to affect your rpm-speed relation is if you change your overall wheel diameter.

yes, you may be using less fuel to go the same speed, which is why mods usually increase mileage, but it does not change the rpm-speed relation in any way.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:43 PM   #15
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
Your wrong Ron.Even when Im behind a trailer,I notice a diffrence in rpm's at a set speed.I have a ScangaugeII and a tach,I know what Im talking about.Laws are made to be broken,and I know for sure thats not a law.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:21 AM   #16
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Wow there is gonna be a great debate here.

My yaris - gained some Hp with my new muffler, but i dont take that much notice with my MPG
Old 11-20-2006, 02:24 AM   #17
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
same here, small gain with muffler only, nothing measurable mpg wise though, if there is a difference its not big.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:11 AM   #18
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Ya its always good to get something out of your mods, emotionally or performance wise.

Like i always say "better than nothing"