Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Driver

Drives: 07 Yaris silver manual sedan
Question What about the oil filter????

Reading all the posts here and articles in other places about using synthetic oil I've been convinced that from my first oil change I'll be using synthetic. I've also read that the average filter can only filter out particles larger than 40 microns and there are better filters. My question is: If you use other than a Toyota filter will that affect the warranty and what's a good filter?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
toyota only..

hands down
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Drives: 2006 Yaris 3 door, Bayou Blue
Don't exactly recall who Toyota uses for their oil filter supplier, an earlier member who worked for Toyota knew, but they are nothing special. Don't be fooled with the Toyota emblem on them.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Mobil1 is badass as far as filters are concerned. Royal Purple and Redline are very good choices for oil.

Just my two cents.
YarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Mobil 1 filters are not very highly rated, Champion Labs make a better one and much cheeper than Mobile1
Old 01-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
well, one thing about toyota is your ensured to not get the WORST filter... but there is no "best" filter, you can always improve.

Mobil1 filters seem to be rated pretty high.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Mobil 1 filters are not very highly rated, Champion Labs make a better one and much cheeper than Mobile1
any links? I've never heard the mobil 1 filters were rated low, I have heard there are cheaper options that are just as good though.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #8
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I never said they were rated low, I said they were not highly rated
I will find that link and post it as soon as I find it again... there were a couple others that backed that claim up as well
Old 01-03-2007, 12:11 AM   #9
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Wal-mart supertech filter all the way. Only the best for my Yaris. Just Kidding. Denso is the maker of Toyota filters and thats what I use.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #10
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Napa Gold is made by WIX and they are inexpensive (around $6.00) and they are rated nicely.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
You can buy the Toyota filter in 10 packs for under $4 each. I've never used them but my recent research has convinced me I should. (I've been paying about $12 for the K&N filter up to now.)
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #12
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
WIX/Napa filters

not the best but come very highly rated by companies like Royal purple, Amsoil and redline.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #13
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Drives: 2006 Yaris 3 door, Bayou Blue
Wix/Napa, one of the best bangs for your buck.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #14
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by yariman View Post
Don't exactly recall who Toyota uses for their oil filter supplier, an earlier member who worked for Toyota knew, but they are nothing special. Don't be fooled with the Toyota emblem on them.

lol of course toyota has most of it's parts manufactured for them.. this is called COMMERCE.. the "toyota" head on your engine is actually made by Yamaha, should you then get rid of it?

DENSO is an extremely reputable company, and the only time parts have blotted the toyota name was when they were replaced with AC Delco (speaking of alternator issues on the 90-97 corollas in specific) . if Denso had been utilized, you'd see much fewer electronics failures in toyotas.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:26 PM   #15
d2dailly
Roar?

Drives: 07 White LB Yaris
Send a message via AIM to d2dailly
not sure what oil im gonna use yet... i know amsoil is good but the store i work at only sells the regular 5w30 amsoil not the amsoil 2000 0w30 so it is a gl4 i believe. i might just go with mobil 1 0w30 and wix filter since i get the mobil at about 4.50 a quart and the filter at about 1.50
d2dailly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #16
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2dailly View Post
not sure what oil im gonna use yet... i know amsoil is good but the store i work at only sells the regular 5w30 amsoil not the amsoil 2000 0w30 so it is a gl4 i believe. i might just go with mobil 1 0w30 and wix filter since i get the mobil at about 4.50 a quart and the filter at about 1.50
Boy... You guys be careful using zero weight oil unless your environment warrants it. I'd stick with the 5W30. I can't tell you that much about car engines as they do not rev as high as a crotch rocket (motorcycle) engines but not too long ago I did some research in selecting a synthetic oil for my kids rocket.

Same things were discussed as far as pour temps and so on. However if a zero weight oils were to be used on a high revving motorcycle, it would damage the engine because there would not be enough oil left on the cylinder walls for proper lubrication when the piston is flying by.

I wish I could find the link If I can find it, I will post it. Maybe it is apples and oranges but the results of using a too light of a lubricant can do a lot of damage.
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #17
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
The K&N and the Mobil 1 are exactly the same filter except K&N has a wrench attachment on top. These are very good filters, wix is also a great choice. I use the two below. Because they cost more, they must be better.

K&N HP-1003 same filter as Mobil 1
Mobil M1-103 same filter as K&N
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #18
d2dailly
Roar?

Drives: 07 White LB Yaris
Send a message via AIM to d2dailly
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryware View Post
Boy... You guys be careful using zero weight oil unless your environment warrants it. I'd stick with the 5W30. I can't tell you that much about car engines as they do not rev as high as a crotch rocket (motorcycle) engines but not too long ago I did some research in selecting a synthetic oil for my kids rocket.

Same things were discussed as far as pour temps and so on. However if a zero weight oils were to be used on a high revving motorcycle, it would damage the engine because there would not be enough oil left on the cylinder walls for proper lubrication when the piston is flying by.

I wish I could find the link If I can find it, I will post it. Maybe it is apples and oranges but the results of using a too light of a lubricant can do a lot of damage.
yeah people have been telling me this (not on the fourm, at my store) so i will just go with the 5w30 like the manual says
d2dailly is offline   Reply With Quote