Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-17-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
jjonrofl

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Thumbs up 2011 Yaris Hybrid?

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/yarish...sandspecs.html

I discovered this when doing an internet search for 2011 Yaris. I wonder if this is at all legitimate...
jjonrofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

The engine horsepower, torque and RPM figures aren't quite right, so I don't know what else may be out of line. But it's an interesting idea.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I'm betting no, based on this:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...31&postcount=7
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
jjonrofl

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
huh. well it was worth a gander I guess. I'm in no way benefiting from the hybrid coming out, it just seems like a step in a good direction from Toyota.
jjonrofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonrofl View Post
huh. well it was worth a gander I guess. I'm in no way benefiting from the hybrid coming out, it just seems like a step in a good direction from Toyota.
It would be kind of cool. Although, I personally would rather have the D4D Diesel Yaris be available here, than have the added complexity and weight associated with a hybrid.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Hybrid, meh. I want real locked 4WD with high/low ranges and manual shift transfer case. :D
Old 05-17-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Hybrids are losers, at least at forseeable gas prices. You spend four or five times the money you save in gas costs for the initial purchase. Gas would have to be $10 a gallon +.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

I would rather have the diesel, too. But I'd rather have it without stuff like urea injection, catalysts and particle filters.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
bronsin

My diesel was cool when the fuel was less than gas. The extra cost of the diesel option has a similiar effect as the hybrid option. When you do a bottom line analysis
the Yaris 1.5 is pretty hard to beat.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #10
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Very true, and I'm happy with it. Don't want any part of a hybrid.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #11
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
When I bought my 2010 Yaris during Christmas... I asked the dealer if there was going to be any changes in the Yaris for the upcoming 2011 model?

He said there is going to be no change from the 2010 cars...

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #12
green-phoenix

Drives: 2007 Camry, 2010 Yaris
fwiw, I found this earlier on the hybrid: Toyota Might Not Make a Yaris-Based Hybrid After All... For Now with this speculation:

"Maybe Not a Yaris Hybrid, But Something Very Similar Instead...
The story from Asahi/Reuters mentioned that the Yaris-based hybrid would use the "platform and engine" of the Yaris, but it didn't say specifically that it would be a Yaris per se. Now that automakers know that dedicated hybrids sell better than hybrid versions of regular cars (Civic hybrid vs. Prius), it wouldn't be surprising if when Toyota decides to make a hybrid Yaris it changed the appearance of the vehicle and branded it as a different model."

So as usual it's just a wait game for a real announcement from Toyota. Personally I like the idea. We do to much highway commuting to make an expensive hybrid worth it, but a little one based on the Yaris would be cool and affordable.
green-phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
I really hope Toyota takes the first step in trying to develop a small hybrid vehicle like the Yaris. I understand the hybrid equipment is heavy, but I am sure they can figure out a way to make it get better MPG then what th current gas Yaris gets now. I would surely check out a Yaris hybrid.
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Hybrids are losers, at least at forseeable gas prices. You spend four or five times the money you save in gas costs for the initial purchase. Gas would have to be $10 a gallon +.
Rant starts here:

Basing your decision about whether or not buying a Hybrid is the right thing to do by gas prices today is like saying, "I don't have cancer yet, so why quit smoking?". Don't buy into the propaganda from the gas companies and car companies that don't make hybrids.

Buying a Hybrid isn't about saving money or doing the most cost effective thing. It's about using less fuel and producing less emissions. It's about being 'Green'. In the case of the US, it's also about reducing our dependency on foreign oil (or being hip and impressing the neighbors). Being 'Green' is more expensive and it takes more work. If Green technology was the cheapest, most cost effective and easiest solution the US would be the Greenest place on earth. We don't want to work for anything.

End Rant, the soap box is available.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
bronsin

Yeah you can look at it that way. I would LOVE an electric vehicle! Wouldnt even have to have an engine like a Prius. But Im not paying $35,000 for it. I simply cant afford $30,000 for a Prius either. Our country and the people running it are seriously deluded. They think theres enough money to do all kinds of things that "ought to" be done. But in reality we cant afford the wars we're fighting and/or Obama care. When we run into that invisible wall we're racing toward, I dont want to be aboard.

Over to you!
Old 05-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #16
bst82551

Drives: 2008 Flint Mica Yaris Sedan
Why would they make a Yaris hybrid? They already have two versions of the prius (a four door hatchback and a four door sedan). That seems silly.

+1 on the diesel. I would LOVE to have a Yaris diesel engine with comparable (or better) mpg, more torque, and possibly more horsepower (if they can make that combination work). A diesel-powered vehicle is a lot more affordable than a hybrid if you ask me and they offer comparable mpg levels, so most of the argument for keeping hybrids around disappear.

-Brian
bst82551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #17
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
But in reality we cant afford the wars we're fighting and/or Obama care. When we run into that invisible wall we're racing toward, I dont want to be aboard.

Over to you!
I'm not sure how you found whether or not hybrids are worth the money was a political topic... The price of a Hybrid Car has nothing to do with Obama Care, The Star Wars Satellite Missile Defense System, the price of tea in China or anything in between.
To be honest, I could afford a hybrid, I just don't want to... yet. Yaris fit most of what I needed at a price I was happy with. Didn't matter who is in the White House.

As for Hybrids being "losers", I still say no. Are they cost effective compared to fuel costs? No, but that doesn't make them losers. The cost of a vehicle is just one part of it. Is a Dodge Viper cost effective? A GMC 3500 truck? Speed costs extra, the ability to haul a ton of crap costs extra, so why would one expect a car that has ultra low emissions to be a cost effective solution?
If your only looking cost to the mile, almost every car (including the Yaris) is a loser compared to a Hyundai. Yet we all bought a Yaris. While a Yaris is pretty damn cost effective, you give up quite a few things with it. Comfort, space, power, etc. Try getting 2 to 3 weeks worth of groceries, a 12 pack of paper towels and a Costco 36 pack of TP in a Yaris with 2 adults and 2 kids in the car for starters... or even with just 2 adults. The Yari stays home on shopping days, for family road trips and when we go out with friends. That aside, if Toyota releases a hybrid Yaris, I'll consider buying one after I've run the life out of my current Yaris... depending on the price.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #18
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

I'm not sure hybrids are "green," considering the production and disposal of those batteries containing toxic stuff like nickel, and the magnets in their motors rely on rare earth elements that come from pretty much a single source in China where their mining produces a lot of environmental disturbance and toxic effluents. If you want a hybrid, fine. But I'm not impressed by "green" sanctitude.