Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
Gas gauge ?

Roughly how much gas is left when it drops to 2 bars? I have had my new car 26 days now and it just dropped to two bars but it only has about 215 miles on it. thanks
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Not exactly sure at 2 bars, but when the last one starts to flash you will have approx 1.6 gallons left. I'd say maybe you got close to 3 gallons in her now. Best answer, go fillup now and see how much she takes.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Palmer812

I was wanting to wait as long as possible before filling up. I wanted to wait as long as possible before filling up. I figured my calculations would be more accurate the more miles I wait. That may not be right but it made sense in my mind. I only drive 4 miles each way to work 5 days a week and not much more than that on my days off. The roads I travel on are 35 and 45 mph so no highway. I never pull out in front of anyone. I wait until it is clear and accelerate slow and steady. I have never downshifted or passed anyone. I coast at stop lights and stop signs. Basically I am trying to get the most mpg out of my first tank but it seems I may not even break 30 mpg. Still beats the hell out of the 17 mpg my Ford Ranger was getting but I expected more. Also the dealer filled it up for me so I don't know how full it was but the sales guy said he let it click off then rounded up to the next dollar. p.s. I am not in 3rd. gear opinions?
Old 03-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Too much of your driving is short distance! Engine is never really up to optimal temperature for any great length of time. You are also in the break-in period. Everyone experience improvements in FE further into ownership.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
Palmer812

I filled her up for the first time today since buying it 31 days ago. I don't know how full the dealer got it but I put it on slow and stopped it at the first click off. 26.5 mpg. I am kind of disappointed because I have been babying it and have only had the ac on once but I only drive 4 miles at a time. Mabye it will get better.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
It will get better. And make sure your tires are at the mfg rating or even a little higher, but with short little burst driving like that, it will never get the 35 or so mpg you may want. It is EPA rated at 29 city/36 highway. And to be honest, that city rating is probably not much stop and go. I am getting around 36 to 38 with my 2010 sedan but it is about 90% highway.And I keep hitting the 75+ side too often when I get out of "town", so I know I can hit 40 if I stay where it should be. I am playing with air pressure a little bit after reading some of the hyper miler stuff. a couple of tanks at 32 recommended and then at 40psi. Tires are rated at 44 max so still safe, just worry about tire wearing in the middle. Noticeably better ride at 32 for sure,lol. I have under 2000 miles on mine yet. Dont expect best mileage until 10K miles, which in your case should be in about 2035,lol
sickpuppy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
sickpuppy1

It is like my Civic was too. Better mileage with one brand of gas versus another. I used to test that with the Civic, three tank fulls in a row back and forth to work (26 miles each way). With 7-11 gas I got avg 32-33 mpg, with Quick Trip gas, 34-36 and with Phillps66 it would do 36-38. I even went back to 7-11 several months later with same results. Needless to say I never went back. This car seems to like the QT gas better! I've heard Shell may be better yet, but due to the fact I live in Kansas and work in Missouri, and gas is about 6 cents a gallon cheaper in Mo (no Shell in Mo) I havent tried it yet. Throw that into the mix too,lol
Old 04-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I have found that the fuel gauge is very unreliable for checking mileage left or mileage gone. This is an economy car....and they cut every corner to build it. That said, it is still dependable and gets very good performance for a car of its class.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
I have found that the fuel gauge is very unreliable for checking mileage left or mileage gone. This is an economy car....and they cut every corner to build it. That said, it is still dependable and gets very good performance for a car of its class.
Wouldn't you check mileage with something that measures miles? Like....your odometer?
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Seconded. Worse, the fuel gauges on the Yaris is only marginally reliable; depending on it is folly. We are awaiting the second replacement sender for our sedan. Want to gamble on being left at the side of the road? Use that ol' fuel gauge...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #11
EasyDriver

Drives: 2008 Yaris Meteorite LB
I had just one bar flashing recently....when I filled up it I had .86 gallons left. I thought it would have more.
EasyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #12
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyDriver View Post
I had just one bar flashing recently....when I filled up it I had .86 gallons left. I thought it would have more.
I believe your owners manual tells you how much gas is left when you have the last bar flashing. Was it flashing slow or fast?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #13
sickpuppy1

That last bar is the same thing as the low fuel light coming on in a "normal" guage. So the second to lat bar is when to fill up in my opinion.I dont like the guage, wishit had a "normal one.........
Old 04-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #14
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
I just look at the accumulated miles on my trip odometer since the last fill-up (I always reset the trip odometer to zero when I fill-up the tank.), and this gives me a real good idea about the amount of gas left in the tank.

I know I have an 11 gallon tank, and I know what I should be getting for MPG. Based on these factors, and using a conservative number for MPG, it is easy to calculate a realistic range for one tank of gas. When I get near that number of miles, I know it is time to fill-up.

I don't enjoy trying to get every possible mile out of a tank of gas before filling-up. I don't see the purpose in that.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
I just look at the accumulated miles on my trip odometer since the last fill-up (I always reset the trip odometer to zero when I fill-up the tank.), and this gives me a real good idea about the amount of gas left in the tank.

I know I have an 11 gallon tank, and I know what I should be getting for MPG. Based on these factors, and using a conservative number for MPG, it is easy to calculate a realistic range for one tank of gas. When I get near that number of miles, I know it is time to fill-up.

I don't enjoy trying to get every possible mile out of a tank of gas before filling-up. I don't see the purpose in that.

Tom
So you are getting your mpg by dividing your miles from your trip od. by 11?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
So you are getting your mpg by dividing your miles from your trip od. by 11?
No, I wasn't talking about figuring MPG. I was talking about estimating how much fuel is left in the tank rather than depending entirely on the gas gauge.

Just for the purpose of demonstration, let's say I get 37 MPG on my Yaris, but to be sure I don't run out of gas, I use 35 MPG for calculating purposes. Also, I assume that I only have ten gallons of gas available to use after a fill-up instead of 11 gallons. This is another way to be conservative in determining how many more miles I can drive before filling up.

OK, 10 gallons of gas times 35 miles per gallon means that I should safely be able to drive 350 miles before filling up again. I reset the trip odometer to 0 at the time I fill up the car, and when I see that I am getting close to 350 miles, I fill up again. In reality I could go further than that, but I am not one to push the limits. I see no point in trying to drain the tank down to fumes before filling up again. I don't want to run out of gas somewhere.

As far as figuring MPG, the only way that I know of to do that is to divide the number of miles driven since the last fill-up by the number of gallons required to fill the tank on the current fill-up. That's what MPG is by definition.

Tom
Old 04-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #17
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
No, I wasn't talking about figuring MPG. I was talking about estimating how much fuel is left in the tank rather than depending entirely on the gas gauge.

Just for the purpose of demonstration, let's say I get 37 MPG on my Yaris, but to be sure I don't run out of gas, I use 35 MPG for calculating purposes. Also, I assume that I only have ten gallons of gas available to use after a fill-up instead of 11 gallons. This is another way to be conservative in determining how many more miles I can drive before filling up.

OK, 10 gallons of gas times 35 miles per gallon means that I should safely be able to drive 350 miles before filling up again. I reset the trip odometer to 0 at the time I fill up the car, and when I see that I am getting close to 350 miles, I fill up again. In reality I could go further than that, but I am not one to push the limits. I see no point in trying to drain the tank down to fumes before filling up again. I don't want to run out of gas somewhere.

As far as figuring MPG, the only way that I know of to do that is to divide the number of miles driven since the last fill-up by the number of gallons required to fill the tank on the current fill-up. That's what MPG is by definition.

Tom
Sounds like a lot of stressing for nothing. When it gets to 2 bars left, fill up. It's that simple. Plus if you constantly run it low, your fuel pump will go out.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #18
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Sounds like a lot of stressing for nothing. When it gets to 2 bars left, fill up. It's that simple. Plus if you constantly run it low, your fuel pump will go out.
Well, that's what I said earlier. I don't see the point in running the tank down to fumes.

The only reason I use the method I described is just as a means of knowing approximately how many more miles I can go before filling up. By no means do I use it to try to get the last drop of gas used before filling up. I think it is silly to do that.

I fill up on the way in to work at a gas station near my workplace. I might use that range estimation method to decide if I should fill up today or if I can get home and back to work tomorrow. If I think it is going to be too close, I will fill up today and not take the chance.

Tom

P.S.

I have kept track of every gallon of gas that I have put in my Yaris since I bought it one year ago. The average number of gallons that I have bought per fill-up is 7.822, and the most it ever took to fill it was 9.50 gallons, so I am not trying to run the tank too low.