Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
DIY - Headlights off with the Ignition Switch

This mod makes the headlights turn off when the ignition is turned off, preventing one from killing the battery when accidentally leaving the headlights on. With this mod, in order to leave the headlights or parking lights on, the key will need to be in the ignition switch and turned to the on position.

Note: This modification is to be done at your own risk! Failure of the relay or wiring connections can result in the headlights turning off unexpectedly!

Parts required:

Relay - SPDT or DPDT relay (12 VDC coil, 10A contacts).
Radio Shack part number: 275-218

Female Crimp-on Quick Disconnect Terminals
.187 (3/16") Insulated for 14-16 AWG wire (quantity 2)
.187 (3/16") Insulated for 16-18 AWG wire (quantity 2)
.187 (3/16") Insulated for 24-26 AWG wire (quantity 4)

Wire - 3" 18 AWG (white/black stripe)
Wire - 3" 16 AWG (Quantity 3 - white/black stripe)
Wire - 12" 16 AWG (Pink, Orange, etc.)

Heat shrink tubing

Tap Splice connector (14-18 AWG)

Adhesive Velcro

Tools required:
#2 Phillips Screwdriver
Soldering Iron
Heat Gun
Wire Stripper
Crimp Tool

Overview:

The relay is controlled by the ignition switch and is used to switch the ED and T1 contacts of the headlight dimmer switch connector. The ED contact is the ground common for the headlight and parking light circuits. The T1 contact is the ground for the headlight warning circuit. A dual pole relay is required to switch both of these circuits:

1. Remove the lower steering column cover: Turn the steering wheel enough to expose and remove the two screws:

2. Remove the third screw, which is located beneath the steering column, by the tilt lever.

3. Disconnect the headlight dimmer switch connector

4. Cut the ED (pin 11 - white/black wire) and T1 (pin 10 - white/black wire) wires leaving ~1" of wire on the connector side.

5. Extend the ED and T1 wires on the connector side by soldering and heat shrinking a 3" piece of appropriately sized wire to the ED and T1 wires (The wires have little slack, so this provides the necessary slack.

6. Solder and heat shrink two 3" pieces of 16 AWG wire to the ED wire (harness side).

7. Strip and crimp female quick disconnect connectors to each of 5 exposed ends.

8. Connect blank female quick disconnect connectors to terminals 1 and 2 of the relay (to cover the non-used terminals).

9. Connect the connector side of the ED wire to terminal 4 on the relay.

10. Connect the harness sides of the ED wires to terminals 6 and 7 on the relay.

11. Connect the connector side of the T1 wire to terminal 3 on the relay.

12. Connect the harness side of the T1 wire to terminal 5 on the relay.

13. Locate the pink wire (Ignition ON) on the ignition switch connector:

14. Splice the 12" piece of wire to the pink wire with the tap splice connector.

15. Strip and crimp a female quick disconnect connector onto the other end of the Igniton wire.

16. Connect the Ignition On wire to terminal 8 on the relay. The connections should now look like the following picture:

17. Mount the relay to the back of the headlight dimmer switch connector using the adhesive Velcro and reconnect the headlight dimmer switch connector:

18. Test by turning the headlights on (with the key removed) - Headlights should not turn on, and headlight warning buzzer should not sound.

19. Insert key and turn to Ignition ON position. Turn headlight switch to ON, and headlights should now light.

20. Reinstall lower steering column cover.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
very good idea. anything to save from killing the battery is good. one thing though...do you not have the annoying beep that reminds you they are on when you shut the car off?
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
on mine, it only beeps when the door is open and the key is out
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
thats what it does on all yaris..

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
haha at least our yaris' dont tell us our lights are on like the old "Z" cars.... my brother has one of those cars.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:07 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
very good idea. anything to save from killing the battery is good. one thing though...do you not have the annoying beep that reminds you they are on when you shut the car off?
Mine Has the beep, but my Subaru had the auto off lights, and I really got used to having it that way.

There was a recent thread where someone's hearing impaired spouse kept leaving the lights on and killing the battery. That got me thinking about this mod, and it turned out to be pretty simple.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:16 AM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
great writeup, thanks! Very inspiring

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Danish Yaris

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1,8 TS 5dr. 2007
Hi

In Denmark you need to drive with the lights on all day long, so the lights are turning on automatically when you start the car, only the light in the center console don´t turn on, but you can turn that on when you switch the light as usual when you drive at night.
The Toyota´s are delivered with a running light relay, so you can get the original and connect that and it should work fine. Just an idea.

Regards Steven.
Danish Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
Reeves360

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan, 91 ToyotaTruck
Send a message via AIM to Reeves360 Send a message via MSN to Reeves360 Send a message via Yahoo to Reeves360
Light off when Key is Removed w/ Fogs???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Mine Has the beep, but my Subaru had the auto off lights, and I really got used to having it that way.
My 89 Camry LE had this option as well. :P

I was wondering if I added the fog lights with the OEM fog light stalk if this would still work for me or will I have additional steps other then what was listed above?

Thanks for the help Scott!
Reeves360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves360 View Post
My 89 Camry LE had this option as well. :P

I was wondering if I added the fog lights with the OEM fog light stalk if this would still work for me or will I have additional steps other then what was listed above?

Thanks for the help Scott!
Yes it will as the fog lights only come on with the head lights on or park lights . when useing the factory stalk .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
Yes it will as the fog lights only come on with the head lights on or park lights . when useing the factory stalk .
Exactly. I have fogs installed as well, and as 1NZ mentioned they do turn off with the key as well as the headlights.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
CTScott, you can top this one with a timed auto-off circuit for the headlights when the ignition is turned off.

That way, if you WANTED to turn on your headlights with the ignition off, they would still work.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
CTScott, you can top this one with a timed auto-off circuit for the headlights when the ignition is turned off.

That way, if you WANTED to turn on your headlights with the ignition off, they would still work.
When I initially did this, I thought about doing something to allow them to be on without the key. The more I thought about it though, I really couldn't think of a time when I ever needed the headlights on without the key being in the car.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #14
Reeves360

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan, 91 ToyotaTruck
Send a message via AIM to Reeves360 Send a message via MSN to Reeves360 Send a message via Yahoo to Reeves360
Quote:
Exactly. I have fogs installed as well, and as 1NZ mentioned they do turn off with the key as well as the headlights.
Thanks CTScott! I'll have to do this when I install my fog lights next month. I'll also be installing that switch that allows you to control your windows with an OEM or aftermarket alarm.
Reeves360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #15
advocate

Drives: car
Quote:
When I initially did this, I thought about doing something to allow them to be on without the key. The more I thought about it though, I really couldn't think of a time when I ever needed the headlights on without the key being in the car.
True but it would make the car LOOK cooler if you could leave the lights running after it was off and have them automatically shut off on a timer. That way it would be more modern.

Anyways great DIY.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
True but it would make the car LOOK cooler if you could leave the lights running after it was off and have them automatically shut off on a timer. That way it would be more modern.

Anyways great DIY.
OK. Delay on break relay is the easy solution. They have an adjustable time delay before opening. Using one in place of the SPDT or DPDT relay would achieve the desired effect.

Here's an example ($63 from Amazon):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PJ8HXS
Old 11-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #17
ivanmadeline

Drives: 2008 Yaris (Sedan)
I'm glad i found this DIY i use to have a 86 GTS for the last 5 Years and it had that option that the light would shut off when you open the doors. I missed my old rolla. One more time thanks CTScott.
ivanmadeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #18
ivanmadeline

Drives: 2008 Yaris (Sedan)
Just got done with DIY - Headlights off with the Ignition Switch too easy. Thanks again CT Scott.
ivanmadeline is offline   Reply With Quote