Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Replacing spark plugs

I am at 104,000 miles. Thought I would replace spark plugs with some good quality ones from AutoZone for about 8 dollars each. I believe OEM at dealer is 12 to 15 each. Anybody try AutoZone?
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
i would stick with the either the oem denso or ngk IRIDIUMS. i just changed mine out a month or so ago with about the same mileage.

there's plenty of debate as to whether or not the iridiums actually do anything better than other grades, but all i know is i won't be changing my plugs again for another 100k miles!

i didn't know autozone made their own iridiums, but for a few dollars more per plug i'd go with the name-brand ones for piece of mind(it may be the last plug change you do on this car).
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Why spend $$ on a car you may not own in the near future?
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
^^ lol

If they are the same plugs as the older echo (i'm pretty sure) they are $4-$5 cdn (each)from the dealer for Denso. It's your best bet, there's really no need for iridiums which are at least double the price. The only realy advantage is extended service life. NGK is good too
Old 12-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
bankrobber

I can get NGK iridums for 6.99 each at AutoZone. I don't see Denso brand at all. The cheapest plug is just a standard one for 1.99
Old 12-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
bankrobber

Should I torque them in? how many ft pounds?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankrobber View Post
Should I torque them in? how many ft pounds?
15 ft. lbs will do it. Might as well go for the iridiums at that price
Old 12-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Don't be pennywise pound foolish.
Break down and get the iridiums. That engine and it's managment system were designed around that part #.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
bankrobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Don't be pennywise pound foolish.
Break down and get the iridiums. That engine and it's managment system were designed around that part #.
Oh yea, I plan to get NGK iridiums at AutoZone for 28 bucks for 4 of them.
I am planing to do some PM maintenance for the 100,000 service.
Wondering if I should dump antifreeze and refill? still on origional water pump.
I don't think I will buy from toyota as so many people lose pumps on the OEM fluid. Prestone form me
Old 12-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
ngk iridium or platinum...depending on how much you wanna spend or how long of an interval you want to change the plugs
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:26 PM   #11
slow.yaris
Banned

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
i didn't know autozone made their own iridiums, but for a few dollars more per plug i'd go with the name-brand ones for piece of mind(it may be the last plug change you do on this car).
1) I've had autozone parts last longer than name-brand OEM parts
2) Those longer lasting parts also came with warranties
3) Autozone sells NGK
4) Autozone FTMFW ;)
slow.yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow.yaris View Post
1) I've had autozone parts last longer than name-brand OEM parts
2) Those longer lasting parts also came with warranties
3) Autozone sells NGK
4) Autozone FTMFW ;)
agreed. i went through 20 sets of 'toyota' wipers....and kept doin the parts warranty thing...well they stopped the parts warranty. so i shopped around. michillin, annco, bosch, rainX, and all sorts of other brands of inserts and whole blades. always streaking on the first swipe and never lasted more than a month. bought a set from autozone, the 'duralals' wipers for 12 bux a set....works perfect and going on 6 months now.

also, as long as you're not getting the cheapo, bottom tier stuff like brake pads or rotors, you can expect better than stock performance out of them. i like mid-grade or better myself when it comes to pads, and top tier when it comes to rotors. as for plugs and wires....they're all basically the same. but i'll never use bosch, and i wouldnt put champion in my lawn mower. other than that...delco, ngk, auto-lite...whatever's better in your opinion.

a lot of times what happens is when a patent runs out everyon and their mother will mimic that patent and make just as high a quality part as the big guys. the parts use the same materials, the same processing, and in more cases than not...the same plant and distributors/packaging companies. do some research on your companies. if you're in the grocery store check the labels. market basket uses 'parade' brand and if you look on there it's packaged in the same plants as KRAFT, oscar myer, McKormick, Betty Crocker and all the other name brands...and that means the same product.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
jstantherprsn

Drives: 01 Toyota Echo
The first thing I did was swap out the spark plugs when I got the car. I had original oems and replaced them with the new iridium fusion (platnium) plugs. Need the iridium because without it, they get to hot. They run great, the idle is smoother, I haven't had any problems and I got 4k on them now. There was a sale a while back so you got 2 bucks off each plug. I'll check them later but I doubt there will be and problems.
jstantherprsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
^^ur labeling name brands that u like that contradict the ones you dont like^^

AC Delco is a sister company to Champion and specialize in GM plugs, not so much imports.

Champion Ignition Company was the original distributor of spark plugs. Albert Champion was the president i think of this company. later did something with GM and split up and Albert went to making AC Spark Plugs and Stranahans bought the rights to make spark plugs from Champion Ignition Company and manufactured plugs under the "Champion" name..

just a little history lesson.. i did a paper on spark plugs back in high school =)

oh, and NGK has alot of japanese experience cuz they started originally supplying mostly to japanese automakers. then as they grew bigger over the years they expanded to other makes and models.

NGK FTW

Last edited by ilikerice; 12-29-2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: added, NGK info
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #15
SignPirate

Drives: 2007 Blue Yaris
I got my plugs from the dealer oem denso as well as my oil filters. They are about the same price as stuff you get at parts stores. Original Toyota will always fit and never void a warranty. I set up an account with my Toyota parts guy and he gives me 25% off. But I'm just saying.
SignPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #16
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Does Toyota parts/Toyota dealers have a website with inventory and prices of parts?
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:05 AM   #17
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
some local dealers have their parts dept online, so i use http://www.toyotapartszone.com/
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #18
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I just replaced spark plugs at ~87,000. Went with NGK Iridium IX. The old plugs were black/burnt quite a bit, exactly as the plug in the picture below. Probably wouldn't have hurt if I did it sooner.

Finally a DIY I didn't mess up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worn Spark Plug.jpg (54.6 KB, 674 views)
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote