Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-25-2015, 02:58 AM   #1
vitz rs

Drives: Vitz RS turbo M
1nzfe valve and valve springs

Hi, I would like to check if anyone knows
Any online sales of ferrea valve and valve
Springs for 1nzfe.

Thanks
vitz rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Good luck is all I can say. The only 2 vendors I am aware of closed up shop. You could still try Cali_yaris. Not sure if he has or can get them. I have the BC valve spring kit is it works fine. Unless you are going to be producing over 350whp and hage a turbo that doesn't deliver power until 5k+ and still has a power band that still carries over 8300k there really is no reason to dump over a grand in the ferrea kit.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:17 AM   #3
tsu

Drives: Yaris
Install 1ZZ-FE Valve Springs into 1NZ-FE

Not sure whether someone has asked for this matter. I have a Yaris NCP91 (Gen II, 5-door hatchback, 1.5 litre 1NZ-FE engine). Currently, I'm using stock valve springs and stock camshaft in the engine, and now the springs seem to be floating around 7000 rpm.
My friend told me that 1ZZ-FE valve springs can be a good subtitute for the stock valve springs. He said that the 1ZZ-FE valve springs are stiffer almost twice of the stock valve springs have.
I know that aftermarket valve springs would be a better choice, but since I'm still using stock camshaft, I'm afraid that aftermarket valve springs would be too harsh for the stock camshaft (the camshaft and its lobes cannot withstand the pressure from the aftermarket valve springs). Has anyone ever installed 1ZZ-FE valve springs into 1NZ-FE engine?. Any issues?.
tsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:46 AM   #4
alias06

Drives: 2008 Red Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsu View Post
Not sure whether someone has asked for this matter. I have a Yaris NCP91 (Gen II, 5-door hatchback, 1.5 litre 1NZ-FE engine). Currently, I'm using stock valve springs and stock camshaft in the engine, and now the springs seem to be floating around 7000 rpm.
My friend told me that 1ZZ-FE valve springs can be a good subtitute for the stock valve springs. He said that the 1ZZ-FE valve springs are stiffer almost twice of the stock valve springs have.
I know that aftermarket valve springs would be a better choice, but since I'm still using stock camshaft, I'm afraid that aftermarket valve springs would be too harsh for the stock camshaft (the camshaft and its lobes cannot withstand the pressure from the aftermarket valve springs). Has anyone ever installed 1ZZ-FE valve springs into 1NZ-FE engine?. Any issues?.
Stock rev-limit is around 6500 rpms...so how are you up at 7k? For your question I don't think anyone has swapped out 1zz springs for 1nz's. If you had one of each spring, you could do a bench test and get your answer that way.
alias06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:26 AM   #5
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Stock valve springs are good for at least 7800 rpms, 2az spring will bind I haven't tried 1zz springs but I imagine its probably the same. BC valve springs are too stiff for VVT. Stock cam is way out of steam before 7k rpm, I've got plenty of dyno sheets to prove it.

IIRC stock springs are 25lbs installed height and 50 lbs at .4" Brian Crower springs are 1.280 : 48-50 LBS .400” lift 105 lbs
Old 10-19-2016, 03:12 AM   #6
tsu

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias06 View Post
Stock rev-limit is around 6500 rpms...so how are you up at 7k? For your question I don't think anyone has swapped out 1zz springs for 1nz's. If you had one of each spring, you could do a bench test and get your answer that way.
Thanks for your reply, I have installed a Unichip in my car which has a feature to "open" the rev-limiter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
Stock valve springs are good for at least 7800 rpms, 2az spring will bind I haven't tried 1zz springs but I imagine its probably the same. BC valve springs are too stiff for VVT. Stock cam is way out of steam before 7k rpm, I've got plenty of dyno sheets to prove it.

IIRC stock springs are 25lbs installed height and 50 lbs at .4" Brian Crower springs are 1.280 : 48-50 LBS .400” lift 105 lbs
Really up to 7800 rpms??. Actually, the cylinder head has been ported-and-polished and milled. During the dyno test, my mechanic assumes that my stock spring valves are floating at high revs because the horsepower falls steeply after 6000 rpms and the peak horsepower occurs at around 5600 rpms. He added that beyond 7000 rpms, the acceleration feels rough and sluggish (the symptom is similar to incorrect air-fuel ratio; too rich mixture. But it is not because of AFR). To be honest, I'm not sure whether it is caused by valve springs or not. However, me and my mechanic have check all the other parts and variables, and they're on the right track.

Since my cylinder head has been ported-and-polished and milled, will it limit the work of stock valve springs (valve springs float sooner)?. Or maybe, is it because my stock camshaft that cannot provide a longer "breathe" beyond 7000 rpms?. It is quite hard anyway to find aftermarket parts for Yaris in Indonesia these days, especially engine internal parts .
tsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #7
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Quote:
Thanks for your reply, I have installed a Unichip in my car which has a feature to "open" the rev-limiter.

Really up to 7800 rpms??. Actually, the cylinder head has been ported-and-polished and milled. During the dyno test, my mechanic assumes that my stock spring valves are floating at high revs because the horsepower falls steeply after 6000 rpms and the peak horsepower occurs at around 5600 rpms. He added that beyond 7000 rpms, the acceleration feels rough and sluggish (the symptom is similar to incorrect air-fuel ratio; too rich mixture. But it is not because of AFR). To be honest, I'm not sure whether it is caused by valve springs or not. However, me and my mechanic have check all the other parts and variables, and they're on the right track.

Since my cylinder head has been ported-and-polished and milled, will it limit the work of stock valve springs (valve springs float sooner)?. Or maybe, is it because my stock camshaft that cannot provide a longer "breathe" beyond 7000 rpms?. It is quite hard anyway to find aftermarket parts for Yaris in Indonesia these days, especially engine internal parts .

Stock cams fall hard after 6200 rpm, I was making basically 50% less torque at 7k than I was at 6, they just don't work all that well up there. Valve float should be pretty easy to see on a dyno. Porting on Polishing won't really cause the valves to float sooner or later, thats more determined by the valve springs being run and the weight of the valvetrain, its quite possible your valve springs are simply worn out and can no longer hold tension.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #8
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:

No way they are floating at 7000. We spent a lot of time tuning our car for the 2016 Runoffs at Mid-Ohio, and ran to 7800 with OE springs, no issues. In our Daytona motor last year we used the BC springs and ran to 9000, but as has been said we gave up VVTI control over 5000rpm because the pressure could not overcome the springs - going back to stock spring in that engine as well.

Peak power with my cams is around 7200-7500rpm, one engine has a regrind, the other has the 9.5mm Jun cams.

You need proper engine management.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #9
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
No way they are floating at 7000. We spent a lot of time tuning our car for the 2016 Runoffs at Mid-Ohio, and ran to 7800 with OE springs, no issues. In our Daytona motor last year we used the BC springs and ran to 9000, but as has been said we gave up VVTI control over 5000rpm because the pressure could not overcome the springs - going back to stock spring in that engine as well.

Peak power with my cams is around 7200-7500rpm, one engine has a regrind, the other has the 9.5mm Jun cams.

You need proper engine management.
^^^^^^This

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote