Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2009, 01:09 AM   #145
Former_Neon

Drives: 1997 Yaris LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
Everything will fail eventually,
You misunderstand my entire point. I am fully aware that everything will fail eventually because what kind of dreamer believes a car will last forever? My point was that the speed sensor on the left is defective also and it's only a matter of time (according to the mechanic) before it malfunctions, as the one on the right side did. That being the case, why does Toyota not replace all of the speed sensors at once, before the warranty runs out?
Former_Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #146
Maddman

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan (Aero)
Toyota won't spend a cent on a car thats under warranty unless they absolutly have to. Yes the other sensor might malfunction but they want us to pay for it. So they're hoping that it'll happen out of warranty.
Maddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #147
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
This happened to me AGAIN - I'm guessing it's temperature related since it only seems to happen if it suddenly gets really warm or really cold, etc.

I spoke to a friend of mine who is the service manager at a dealership, who was willing to cut the price in half, so I'm getting my bearing(the most expensive part) & sensor wire replaced.

The only problem is apparently there is now a month wait for the part because this is happening to a ton of Yarii!!!
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #148
Former_Neon

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
The only problem is apparently there is now a month wait for the part because this is happening to a ton of Yarii!!!
Which is why Toyota should stop being so miserly and issue a recall on this. It seems to me that Toyota thinks they can emulate the smug attitude that the Big Three automakers had for so long, without any consequence.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #149
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Toyota is in fact emulating the big three as far as the Yaris is concerned. For example, the $1750 cash insentive on the new 09 Yaris...
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #150
Former_Neon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
Toyota is in fact emulating the big three as far as the Yaris is concerned. For example, the $1750 cash insentive on the new 09 Yaris...
What does this add to the conversation?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #151
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
One of the big reason the big 3 (or crippled 3) aren't doing well is the preconception that their car isn't as reliable as their Japanese rival which effect sales and necessitate the need for incentives to sell-off surplus stock. The Yaris sales incentive is probably largely motivated by the new Fit, but ABS issue can't be helping matters.

How do preconception of reliability come about?

It's developed over several model life cycle in which the owners of the brand promotes the reliability of their cars to friends and family and the word spreads. Prints and advertising can promote a lifestyle decision when purchasing an automobile, but the durability and reliability of the automobile is promoted through the masses...previous owners.

Yaris's ABS issue is going to have a ripple effect and if perception changes. And durability of the product is no longer a big selling point, then Hyundai is in a great position to take a bigger share of the market, especially in the small car arena.

That said, I was the first to get the ABS issue and knew it was a manufacturer's problem. (based on putting 500,000km on two Honda cars without any problem).
Shortly after I got the ABS fixed in my Yaris, I traded the car for another Toyota (Rav4). Granted, my respect for Toyota reliability was tarnished, but they still got some of the best car/suv available even if reliability isn't the selling factor.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #152
ajwinter123
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2007
My Gf started our car yesterday and the ABS and break light was on as well, it's a Yaris 5door hatchback 2007. It went off on it's own the same day, and then came back on. We scheduled an appot with the dealer, and after 2 hours and 45 minutes they still were not able to determine the issue. They say it should be either the Hub and speed sensor or the Wireing harness. After looking at the TSB for this, it says nothing about repalcement for the entire hub. from doing a little research on this issue and looking on other forums, it sounds like it's a problem with the EBD system on the car. Anyone have any input on this?
ajwinter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:34 PM   #153
nemrod44
I've made a post!

Drives: 3 dr hatchback RS
I solved my abs / brake light problem

========= I solved my abs / brake light problem =================

I had this problem and the dealer proposed to change the hub assembly and wire harness. There was no way i would pay 700$ for ABS to work properly.
Since everyone here was saying it was a corrosion problem with the connector in the hub assembly, i gave it a try and repaired it myself.

I opened the connectors, used WD-40 to wash the terminals inside the connectors, cleaned the connector of the WD-40 with some airpressure and then filled the connectors with dielectric grease (even tho regular grease protects from corrosion, the grease itself conducts electricity and could cause some weird shorts between the two terminals, dielectric grease prevents this).

I did the repair january from last year and its been working fine since then. I think i will reopen the connectors and redo the same job before it gets cold just to be sure everything will continue to be fine.

If your harness / sensor connector is in really bad shape, this repair might not work but for the price its worth the try. (took me between an hour or two and cost only the 6$ dielectric grease tube and some wd-40). Also, i used wd-40 but I guess connector cleaner would make a better job.
nemrod44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #154
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemrod44 View Post

I had this problem and the dealer proposed to change the hub assembly and wire harness. There was no way i would pay 700$ for ABS to work properly.
Since everyone here was saying it was a corrosion problem with the connector in the hub assembly, i gave it a try and repaired it myself.

I opened the connectors, used WD-40 to wash the terminals inside the connectors, cleaned the connector of the WD-40 with some airpressure and then filled the connectors with dielectric grease (even tho regular grease protects from corrosion, the grease itself conducts electricity and could cause some weird shorts between the two terminals, dielectric grease prevents this).

I did the repair january from last year and its been working fine since then. I think i will reopen the connectors and redo the same job before it gets cold just to be sure everything will continue to be fine.

If your harness / sensor connector is in really bad shape, this repair might not work but for the price its worth the try. (took me between an hour or two and cost only the 6$ dielectric grease tube and some wd-40). Also, i used wd-40 but I guess connector cleaner would make a better job.
I am definitely going to have to try this when the weather gets warmer out.

Unfortunately for me, my brand new speed sensor is broken again. It seems to be just ice build-up around the sensor though, so only time will tell if it's bit the dust. It happened after one day was plus 0, then the next it went down to almost -30. It's still pretty cold out (-14), and the ABS and ! are still lit.

Maybe I will try a hair dryer to the sensor to get rid of the ice.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #155
kuyabheda
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota yaris sedan
Thumbs down then

I am new here and my car (2008 yaris) did that yesterday- with both abs and ! coming on..They told me 2 wks for the part. 2 $%&*^@ wks without a car.. and they dont offer any courtesy vehicle at all.

Ohh well next time i will go for a honda..which i had before
kuyabheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #156
cdavidhess

Drives: 2008 White Yaris Sedan 5 speed
My ABS and Brake lights came on a couple of days ago (for the first time). They went off later in the day. At this point, I'm just going to wait and see if it happens again.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #157
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyabheda View Post
2 $%&*^@ wks without a car.. and they dont offer any courtesy vehicle at all.
You are OK to drive. Brakes will basically be functioning same as none ABS equipped vehicles.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #158
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyabheda View Post
I am new here and my car (2008 yaris) did that yesterday- with both abs and ! coming on..They told me 2 wks for the part. 2 $%&*^@ wks without a car.. and they dont offer any courtesy vehicle at all.
You are OK to drive. Brakes will basically be functioning same as none ABS equipped vehicles.
Yeah, I've been driving with those lights on for about 8 months now... it's fine, just no ABS. Waiting till spring to try to clean the contacts.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #159
firstyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemrod44 View Post

Just had this issue. Warranty lapsed. I am not a mechanic, does anyone have pictures where these contacts/connectors are so I can clean them?
firstyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #160
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstyaris View Post
Just had this issue. Warranty lapsed. I am not a mechanic, does anyone have pictures where these contacts/connectors are so I can clean them?
I can take some pics but it won't be until summer ... since I don't have a garage where I can work in the winter.

But if you need to do it now you can always take a look here http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairm...%20Control.pdf

Page 97 is where the installation/removal diagrams are for the ABS sensors are on the front and rear wheels.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #161
grchristoff

Drives: 2007 yaris
Hi there, new to the list but I am having the same problerm; ABS/Brake light came on just recently during a snow storm.

If someone has pictures of what needs to be changed that would be great as my 2007 yaris 4dsd is off warranty now.

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to install the sensor or wiring but resetting the computer is probably something the dealer would have to do.
grchristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #162
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by grchristoff View Post
Hi there, new to the list but I am having the same problerm; ABS/Brake light came on just recently during a snow storm.

If someone has pictures of what needs to be changed that would be great as my 2007 yaris 4dsd is off warranty now.

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to install the sensor or wiring but resetting the computer is probably something the dealer would have to do.
From what I can tell the lights should go off by themselves once the ECU regains connection to the speed sensors. I know this since it happens to me once the ice/snow/sludge/whatever is dislodged from the sensors, my lights go back off and ABS works again.

For those of you looking for part #s, I have them for the 2007 Hatch, dunno if they are the same across all years:

SENSOR, SPEED, FRONT RH
89542-52050

SENSOR, SPEED, FRONT LH
89543-52050

SENSOR, SPEED, REAR RH
89544-52040

SENSOR, SPEED, REAR LH
89544-52040

The wire harness is:

WIRE, SKID CONTROL SENSOR
89516-52090 NCP91..CND; RH
89516-52100 NCP91..CND; LH