Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-22-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
distrktFIVE

Drives: 2003 Tiburon GT (for now)
Send a message via AIM to distrktFIVE
LB or Sedan?

i, soon hopefully, will be getting a yaris and was wondering which way i should go. i am going to drive them tomorrow but, if you will, tell me why you went with which you did. regardless it will be a standard and either white, black, or grey. those are the only particulars i have. at first i was leaning LB but the Sedans are growing on me.
also, any info on the college grad program could be useful (though i have a job and like a 8k trade in a 1 or 2k down).
thanks.
distrktFIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
Vervepipes
CowCountry Hornet Handler

Drives: '08 Sedan
Both have ups and downs. Personally I like the styling of the sedan better, but it does have a slightly higher base price. The sedan has a larger trunk for when you carry a crowd AND thier luggage, but the hatchie has more room when the seats are folded flat. I think even the 4 door hatch has a shorter wheelbase than the sedan, so handling sould be snappier/ smaller turn radius. Hatch has a storage compartment similar to the glove box but on the driver's side, sedan doesnt. Sedan has a fold down arm rest w/ cupholder on the rear centre seat. Hatch has more aftermarket presently (tail lights etc). Not sure about USA cars, but Canadian sedans have forward tilting/height adjusting seats to get better ride comfort.
Vervepipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
kaboom

Drives: 2007 silver yaris sedan
I test drove both : LB and sedan. Originally me and wife opted for LB. Then we changed our mind and finally picked sedan ( $ 630 more, than similarily equipped LB). Sedan has a slicker design, better fit and finish inside & out. And - last but not least - weighs LESS, than LB . There were some drawbacks of LB : no center armrest in base model, silly looking little "divider windows" on both sides in front, mini- sized trunk. My wife says that sedan looks SEXIER, than LB, too :). Also - FYI-------- liftback has been designed in France, and sedan as all Japanese architecture.......
hope it helps you make a right choice
kd
kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
kaboom

Drives: 2007 silver yaris sedan
oh, yes - and US sedans( unlike LB's) have a height adjusted driver seat.....
kd
kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
If you have to ask you should probably get a Sedan. I knew I wanted a Liftback before I hit the lot.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
LB before i even saw the car. i wanted a real, yaris/echo/vitz not a vios/beltra. more aftermarket support for LB, but dont expect a pocket rocket for it is not, but really is fun to drive. no regrets on my purchase

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:20 AM   #7
distrktFIVE

thanks for the imput. there isn't a whole lot of aftermarket for either yet i can tell but i went through that battle being one of the first to have a new generation tiburon. eventually i will go f/i (turbo most likely) but that is a ways down the road. simple coilovers, strut bars, and sway bars if there are any plus the typical i/h/e plus pulleys will do it for me for a while. also, i have been reading up on HID retrofits but don't the japanese ones already have HIDs? it seems like they could be had for similar money and far less hassle than retrofiting.
i think i am going to go with the sedan (the small price difference in no impact on my choice). the whole reason i looked at the yaris in the first place is that LB but that sedan is growing on me plus the whole 4 door is more utilitarian thing.

thanks a lot thus far and keep giving me your opinions.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:33 AM   #8
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
i wanted a real, yaris/echo/vitz not a vios/beltra.
I gotta fix this for ya sdmf..... yaris and echo came in hatch and sedan form
the yaris hatch is the vitz
the yaris sedan is the belta/vios
the echo hatch was the vitz as well
the echo sedan was the platz/vios

hope that clears it up for ya

I vote Liftback all the way
Old 05-23-2007, 05:24 AM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
the echo sedan was the platz/vios
Eeeep! wrong! Our old Vios was a completely different model unique to Southeast Asia and maybe some other parts of the world... Arguably better looking than the new Vios, aka Belta, aka Yaris Sedan... but I digress...

Red Hatchback is your only choice... forget any other color and body style
Attached Images

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #10
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
yea buddy, 8 years in the south east asia, i seen them all, does anyone remember the echo verso? bigger uglier version of the hatch?

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
SurfBabe900
YarisBabe

Drives: 07 Jade Sedan
I like the sedan so much more than the lb. I'm so used to driving a hatchback that I wanted something different and a sedan def. is! The lb just looks like a clown car... haha.

I Love My Smooshi!
SurfBabe900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:27 PM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
if you want something that has aftermarket potential and want to go JDM, i'd go with the LB. if you want practicality (people plus their luggage), go with the sedan. if it's hauling huge boxes and no passengers, go with the LB.

personally, i like the design of the sedan better, plus i carpool a lot, so the sedan was a better choice for me, even though i wanted to get the LB.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #13
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by distrktFIVE View Post
went through that battle being one of the first to have a new generation tiburon.
Hey distrktFIVE, I had an 03 Tib too. Just CAI and cat-back on it, like you said not really a whole lot else available for it. I traded mine for my Yaris liftback and have not regretted it a bit! I liked the sedan styling alright, just had no use for 4 doors and no one riding in the back.

Notice your location: are you a fan of dirty south music? Like Nappy Roots?
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:29 PM   #14
distrktFIVE

well there are starting to be parts (a good bit) for the tib now, i just am ready for something new, like the yaris and could use the gas mpg being better. and yeah, i like that music but it isn't really my thing.