Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Lightened Yaris

I've had my '08 for a week now, and here is what I have done so far: removed everything behind the front seats, including the jack under the drivers seat and the spare and even the bracket/mount for the spare (I had to drill out the spot welds). Today I pulled off the wheel covers! I really don't care what it looks like, obviously.

I build and fly aircraft, so weight reduction is a natural for me, and of course I had a good scale to document things. I also live up a mountainside, 1000' above the valley below, and for years have drove without a spare in any of my rigs. I can't really say if I've noticed a difference as I am so new to it anyway, but it stands to reason in a car so light already. removing 100+lbs of stuff will pay off, reducing empty weight always does I don't care what it is. Some particulars:

wheels covers: 3.6 (3 lbs. 6ozs.)
owners manual !! 2.0
flip up deck 2.13
deck carpet 2.10
tool trays with tools 6.8
main deck 11.2
spare 21.14
jack 3.1
rear seat bottom 10.9
seat frame 6.9
seat back 37.5 !!!!!!!!!!
spare support bracket 1.6
rear pass. carpet 1.15
total 111 lbs and 13 ozs.

All of this is neatly stored away, and will be re-installed when selling. I have looked at the various options, and have decided to do nothing that adds weight (like a rear sway bar, though they sound neat). I have taken an old blanket and spread it over the exposed metal where the spare and the seat used to be, and that is all I plan to do. My next trip past a certified scale I will weigh it, subtract for me and the dog, and then look to see what else I can safely remove, if anything.

My first trip down the mountain and to my workplace 14 miles away (luckily on a road posted 45, most drive it at 50+) : 62 MPG, coming back the same way (pulling hill) 40.2. I've had a Scan Gauge for some time, and it is well calibrated. Assuming a empty weight to start of 2300 lbs, that represents a weight loss of about 5%. Also, it didn't cost a dime!

Yesterday in town I did get on it for the first time, while pulling into traffic, and was surprised! It hauls ass pretty good, it made me laugh! Great fun car.

I also found the passenger seat weighs 47 lbs., for those wanting to go know.

Last edited by Idahotom; 11-04-2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: MORE INFO
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote