Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
rick996

Drives: 2010 5 door hatch w/5 sp man.
Best Gasoline

The other day I read an article about gasoline quality (http://www.caranddriver.com/features..._stuff.-column). In the article Chevron seemed to be rated best. GM trucks Chevron 500 miles to their test site for EPA tests. In the article there was a link to a site that lists stations selling top tier gas. It seems the most gas stations sell gas with inferior additives. Chevron is not sold in my area. Up until now I have been using whatever was cheapest. I don't know if good gas will improve FE in the short term, but I think it will help your engine maintain good FE in the long run. The only good gas in my area is a Mobil and Shell. Here is a link to the suppliers of top tier gas.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

rick996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
shell or sunoco only thats what i do even though all the companies are evil id rather not give them any of my money but i guess we have to

but absolutly NOT bp
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
rick996

From the list it looks like Sunoco only sells top-tier gas in Canada.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
but hey if nascar uses it its got to be the best right...?? (not being sarcastic or anything) hahah
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
That article is near 6 years old, alot of things change in that time. But somethings never do change :)

I like how BP isn't on that list haha
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
rick996

The article is 6 years old but maybe the list that the article points to at toptiergas.com is more recent?

Old 03-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #7
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
I always buy top tier gas unless I have no choice. Usually I buy Shell, but their are quite a few Mobil stations around also. Shell and Mobil are about the only top tier game in town in my area.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
After having to change over to ethanol gas, I've used my old gas station... mom and pop gas and Shell gas two times only. The Shell is more favorable with MPG than the mom and pop station by around 2 MPG. The car driving was the same (environment). It was only slightly warmer for the Shell gas tank! Can't wait for April... summer blend and warm temps. We'll see how my car handles the MPG's...

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
bB2NER
My Box and Her Egg

Drives: 05' Scion xB / 08' Yaris 3dr
I only use Shell. Can't find a better deal than the 5% discount.
Average mostly 38 mpgs on the stuff so I can't complain.
bB2NER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I use the cheap stuff.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
Quote:
8) The realities of fuels. This could be a thread of its own but I will summarize a few finer points here. To make a very long story short, with few exceptions using top-tier (name brand) fuels ends up being cheaper due to not only increased fuel economy but also in upper cylinder health by drastically dropping “gunk” and other unwanted build-up. One reason top-tier fuels cost more is because the companies that sell them have gone to tremendous expense in R&D to find ways to achieve the Federally-mandated additives/reformulations without sacrificing the caloric content of the fuel. Off-brands have no such compunction and use the cheapest additives available at refining time without regard to caloric efficiency. I truly do not mean to endorse any oil company but in the interest of saving you time I will say that, after millions of miles of road testing on all kinds of vehicles and in all parts of the world, Shell and Chevron seem to continually come out on top for fuel efficiency and engine health, so much so that they become the best value.
The gospel of BailOut