Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
baseballfan416

Drives: 2017 L 3-door
SMART KEY compatibility/programability...

Hey guys, this is unrelated to a yaris but I figured I'd ask since a lot of you out there are toyota buffs (not just yaris).

My girlfriend has an 08 toyota camry with smart key fob FCC ID: HYQ14aab and IC: 1551A-14AAB. Bought a used smart key off ebay with the same exact numbers in the hopes of getting it mated with her existing smart key. Dealer attempted to reprogram smart key (sounds like they have to do all smart keys to link up with the car at the same time which they did), but the one I bought on ebay didn't work.

Dealer claims one of two issues: the smart key is defective or it's not able to marry/link to existing vehicle.

I am able to get my money back on the ebay smart key. What I want to know is should I be looking for something more specific than just the keyfob itself (correct part number)? I know for instance, that the cobb accessport for my STi has to be unmarried in order to work on a different vehicle (to prevent multiple reflashes with the same part). Is that the same case with toyota smart keys? Or did I just happen to get a faulty part in which case I can go ahead and look for another smart key that will work next time?

I realize this is unrelated to the yaris but I appreciate any help seeing as I've uncovered nothing by searching online (other than a bunch of odd prius forums asking about using lexus credit card fobs on their vehicles).
baseballfan416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
2007 LB/Sedan: FCC ID: MOZRI−20BTY (key fob)

2008-2011 LB/Sedan: FCC ID:MOZB41TG (key fob), FCC ID:MOZB21RG (door lock receiver)

2012 Liftback: FCC IDs: HYQ12BBY (key fob) and HYQ23AAA (door lock receiver/TPMS receiver)
Old 06-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
baseballfan416

Im asking about camry smart key compatibilities... Are smart keys with the same id numbers compatible or do they have to be "unmarried" or somehow disconnected from a vehicle prior to use in another?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfan416 View Post
Im asking about camry smart key compatibilities... Are smart keys with the same id numbers compatible or do they have to be "unmarried" or somehow disconnected from a vehicle prior to use in another?
OK - Read that wrong - I thought you were comparing getting one for her Camry to getting one for your Yaris.

I don't believe that the Toyota smart ones have to be "unmarried" from the existing vehicle. I believe that they simply have to be learned by the new vehicle.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
I just read around on the toyotanation forums about the toyota smart keys. After reading about both camry and prius smart keys the basic consensus is that it is very difficult for dealers to get ebay smart keys to work on your existing car. Something about a "rolling code" used by the ecm that creates the big problem. Some claimed that it is possible for dealers to get the keys to work but most won't bother with it.

Also, most dealers want 450-550 USD to replace a key. INSANE!!!!

I also read that when the new key gets programmed your current key must receive a new program too.

It will probably be worth your time to go to a dealer and ask to speak with a mechanic familiar with the subject. Ask him about the cheapest options and tip him if he helps you out.

Good luck

One more thing, a person indicated that when they went to get an additional smart key made an indicator came up that said only one more could be made for the car in addition to the two that came with it meaning that that car could only have 3 smart keys in it's current programming. Not sure if that is the case with all toyota smart key vehicles or not.
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
baseballfan416

Awesome guys, thanks for the help.

I took the ebay fob to the dealer and they were unable to program it (only bought one because I saw that only 2or3 total fobs can be programmed to any vehicle). They had both fobs but for whatever reason it wouldn't work.

The only other idea I have is that the motherboard on the smart key has some sort of ID number listed. A few listings on ebay note it but many do not. I haven't had chance to check it but I wonder if that has any bearing on compatibility as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfan416 View Post
Awesome guys, thanks for the help.

I took the ebay fob to the dealer and they were unable to program it (only bought one because I saw that only 2or3 total fobs can be programmed to any vehicle). They had both fobs but for whatever reason it wouldn't work.

The only other idea I have is that the motherboard on the smart key has some sort of ID number listed. A few listings on ebay note it but many do not. I haven't had chance to check it but I wonder if that has any bearing on compatibility as well.
If you want to PM me the VIN, I can run it through the EPC and tell you the exact Toyota part number for the smart key for that Camry.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
baseballfan416

Thanks for the offer but that's not necessary. Since I have the one fob that works I've been using that for reference. I think the issue has to do with the number on the circuit board being different from the new one. The external part numbers match and the casing is the same, but I hadn't bothered to check the actual numbers listed on the green circuitry itself.

Still debating whether or not I want to take a chance on getting a fob with matching numbers. I was lucky to have gotten money back from previous purchase.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #9
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
Why not get one from the dealer and eliminate the headache?
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
baseballfan416

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscobear View Post
Why not get one from the dealer and eliminate the headache?
Because a smart key from the dealer is about $250-300 more expensive... which creates an entirely different headache in of itself.