Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
fxny12004

Drives: Nautical Blue Yaris S Sedan
Pioneer X920BT Install : *Completed*

So i purchased a pioneer HU (X920bt), and to save myself the hassle of having to splice cables (as i have no experience or the tools needed), i purchased metra's smart harness for toyotas (Metra 80-1761). Will this plug into the back of the x920bt or do i need to purchase another metra harness that connects the toyota leads directly to the pioneer deck? something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/METRA-Smart-Cabl...-/310199304931

if so, do any of you know which one (metra part number)? i am so lost and confused right now

thanks in advance dudes!

just i case, link to toyota harness i purchased -> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Last edited by fxny12004; 05-18-2010 at 10:19 PM.
fxny12004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Why don't you look at the back of the head unit, when it arrives?
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I don't think that you'll find a pre-made one for the Yaris to a specific radio. The Metra 80-1761 will have connectors that plug into the Yaris harness's radio connectors on one end and wires on the other end. You just butt splice or solder and heat shrink the Metra cable to the one that comes with the radio:

splices.jpg
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
circuit city used to sell direct connect to major radio brands...but they out of business now

the only option you got now are splices or solder. i'd go solder, it's easier than you think and looks and performs better with no drop in voltages. plus, they dont corrode if you use solder. corrosion takes a long time with connectors but it's possible...not with solder
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
Actually the Metra 80-1761 has Toyota plugs on one end and a universal plug on the other end. You need another harness that is the universal plug to Pioneer. The Metra harness that has just wires on the end is a 70-1761. The link to Ebay you posted is the type of harness you need but I don't know if it the exact one you need because Pioneer has several different harnesses for their radios.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
N9QGS

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to N9QGS Send a message via Yahoo to N9QGS
I hope you can use the Pioneer HU in your Yaris, I was not able to in mine; cause I had the integrated stereo in the S model, and when you pull that out you have no supports for a radio, and Metra only makes it for the single din.... :-( Probably have to order quite a bit of stuff from Toyota to make your car accept a double din, I think your okay if you get the cheaper model Yaris with the "factory" radio. Good luck - Ron
Old 05-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
x2 on the 70-1761 part #
Old 05-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
goku87

Drives: Black HB
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
circuit city used to sell direct connect to major radio brands...but they out of business now

the only option you got now are splices or solder. i'd go solder, it's easier than you think and looks and performs better with no drop in voltages. plus, they dont corrode if you use solder. corrosion takes a long time with connectors but it's possible...not with solder
Corrosion happens regardless, solder, crimp, or mechanichal connections. The best way to "prevent" corrosion is to join two of the same type of metal (copper to copper, gold to gold, etc. to etc.) with a mechanical connection made of the same metal, and use a non-oxidizing compound gel over the connection.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
fxny12004

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9QGS View Post
I hope you can use the Pioneer HU in your Yaris, I was not able to in mine; cause I had the integrated stereo in the S model, and when you pull that out you have no supports for a radio, and Metra only makes it for the single din.... :-( Probably have to order quite a bit of stuff from Toyota to make your car accept a double din, I think your okay if you get the cheaper model Yaris with the "factory" radio. Good luck - Ron
Oh man, now you have me worried. I have the S model with the intergrated radio too. I do appreciate the warning though.

But i bought Metras Double Din trim plates pictured here (which i thought was the support system)---> http://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-8202-.../dp/B000K52CY2 and toyota's oem center bezel (silver outside trim piece) from my dealer.

Im i missing something here? If i cant get this damn pioneer in my car i think im going to !!!!!!!

Can anyone else confirm this? Do i need anything else to mount the HU?

Also on another note, i think im just going to take metra's smart harness and just cut the universal plug off, and crimp that end of the wires to the harness that the pioneer unit brings. is crimping ok?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxny12004 View Post
Oh man, now you have me worried. I have the S model with the intergrated radio too. I do appreciate the warning though.

But i bought Metras Double Din trim plates pictured here (which i thought was the support system)---> http://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-8202-.../dp/B000K52CY2 and toyota's oem center bezel (silver outside trim piece) from my dealer.

Im i missing something here? If i cant get this damn pioneer in my car i think im going to !!!!!!!

Can anyone else confirm this? Do i need anything else aside to mount the HU?
That's all you need. Just transfer the sheet metal brackets from the sides of the integrated radio to the sides of the new one.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
fxny12004

maybe the sheet metal bracket is what N9QGS is referring to as not being present in the integrated radio...(is that even possible)???/

i am seriously going to kill myself if i spent all of this money just to find out i cant install it!! Especially when im getting it delivered tomorrow!!!!

Edit: Found this youtube video of the intergrated radio being removed from the yaris and the radio doesnt have a sheet metal bracket around it!!!!! At around 1:40 you can see what im talking about. WHAT DO I DO!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xySrP...eature=related

Last edited by fxny12004; 05-13-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: found evidence
Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
maybe the sheet metal bracket is what N9QGS is referring to as not being present in the integrated radio...(is that even possible)???/

i am seriously going to kill myself if i spent all of this money just to find out i cant install it!! Especially when im getting it delivered tomorrow!!!!
The most you may have to do is to hammer or grind down the alignment "bumps" on the OEM brackets to allow yours to sit properly.

Sedan Radio.jpg
Old 05-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
What to do? Step 1 DON'T kill yourself.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #14
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Unless I'm smoking something the case for that integrated radio IS 2 DIN. The face just isn't. The bezel piece I ordered from Toyota effectively changed mine from integrated to a 2 DIN. I then took the pocket and made it a 1 DIN. I have the correct kit, the TOYK969 from Best Kits. That along with the new bezel piece makes a working conversion from the integrated radio.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #15
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Here's the link to my integrated removal post:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27526
Old 05-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #16
fxny12004

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Unless I'm smoking something the case for that integrated radio IS 2 DIN. The face just isn't. The bezel piece I ordered from Toyota effectively changed mine from integrated to a 2 DIN. I then took the pocket and made it a 1 DIN. I have the correct kit, the TOYK969 from Best Kits. That along with the new bezel piece makes a working conversion from the integrated radio.
So let me get this straight..*loosens noose around neck as i lol at palmers post*, when you say case for the intergrated radio, you mean that there IS a metal piece/bracket that holds the 2 din intergrated radio in place so that the radio doesnt fall on its weight? Meaning that that same case can be detached/unscrewed from integrated radio and attached into my 2 din pioneer HU and use it IN ADDITION to the metra dash kit i purchased therefore not needing any additional parts? I just want to make sure i understood what you were saying.

I had seen your post before btw, but then again you were installing a single din unit, so i thought it would be different from my install. But i was using it as a reference for when i was planning all of this.

As you can all see i am an idiot when it comes to car electronics, as ive never done this before so i appreciate you guys' patience and help!

I am a computer nerd so im willing to trade my knowledge for yours if need be

Quote:
Also on another note, i think im just going to take metra's smart harness and just cut the universal plug off, and crimp that end of the wires to the harness that the pioneer unit brings. is crimping ok?
Anyone??
Old 05-14-2010, 02:11 AM   #17
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Okay...with the kit there are two openings on each side of the hard plastic "wings". On my deck, and I imagine yours as well, you can mount two screws per side. In my case, I don't need to use a cage. Now, I probably could have used the metal mounting wings versus the kit's wings, the only reason I didn't was the metal to metal contact issue between my deck's chassis and the car's dash sub frame. Call me picky.

I just don't see with using a 2 DIN why the kit doesn't work. That being said, I'd like to see this in person (or you can post some pics so that we might guide you).
Old 05-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #18
fxny12004

k thanks sqcomp and all of you with your guidance. You guys rock! I will let you guys know how it goes when i go install it.