Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-22-2015, 02:50 AM   #1
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
Question Rear speaker setup recommendations

Hi All.

The next project I would like to start on my Vitz is the audio system

I was a bit disappointed after buying him to see there are no speakers in the rear. So as a quick fix I went the home stereo route (see pic 1). This works quite well and I am happy with the sound.

However it looks unprofessional and the speakers do slide around.

For some strange reason the JDM Vitz do not come with rear door speakers. The hole for the speakers exist but no provision in the door card (pic 2)

Can you guys give some recommendation on how I can make a better set up ?
Main thing for me I want clear sound, don't need crazy bass and ear shattering highs.

So far I am thinking of the following:

-I bought door cards from a NZDM Yaris which has rear door speaker provision but it doesn't match my car so I am not keen on using them. I was thinking of cutting holes in my existing door cards for speakers
-I was thinking 6x9 at the rear but I have no parcel tray and I don't see an easy to add one.
-I am also thinking to get a small bass tube or one of those slim all-in-one woofer systems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg home stereo speakers.jpg (305.5 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg rear door card.jpg (291.4 KB, 163 views)
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:40 AM   #2
P.C
I've made a post!

Drives: vitz 2005
Hie i am facing exactly the same problem you faced i was wondering if you found a solution. If you did could you please share. I have searched everywhere with no success.
PLIZ HELP.
I joined this forum in the hopes of a solution
P.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
KTS

Drives: Vitz RS
After I bought my JDM 2007 Vitz RS I was disappointed to find out it have no rear speakers.
KTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Why do you want rear speakers? Sound should be in front.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
So there's sound all around me :P
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
So there's sound all around me :P
Without proper Levels, Time Alignment, x-over, and EQ due to the unequal distances from speakers to your ears the sound stage will tend to pull to the closest speaker or an average, in other words when playing a song you will feel the voice is coming from the left side if seated in the pilots seat.

Off course you probably don't mind at this point and Bass/Treble - balance/fader are your only processing on hand, nothing wrong with that; a front stage would be a future upgrade!

D.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Dude, I'm listening to Eminem and Linkin Park in a Yaris, not Chopin's piano concertos in a Maybach. Center position on the balance setting, 2 ticks to the rear on the fader, and volume turned up to overpower the noise from the wheels, and I'm good.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #8
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Well, what IllusionX was referring to is a Front Stage SQ, and that is a complete different story, budget and labor; but the outcome it's unreal, fantastic and out of this world!

I thought you wouldn't care any way, I like your speaker boxes solution, probably you are getting better bass and overall sound that what you will get with speakers in rear panels.

No plans for some deadening of you Yaris? this little cars have a noisy ride.

D.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:22 AM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Well, what IllusionX was referring to is a Front Stage SQ, and that is a complete different story, budget and labor; but the outcome it's unreal, fantastic and out of this world!
I agree 100%. One of my past vehicles had the same electronics in it, IIRC, as Rich Coe's famous 1kw WW (that was my goal)...2 Audiomobile SA-2000s, 2 Audiomobile SA-1000s, 2 Audiomobile SA-400s, 2 or 3 Audiomobile crossovers, and the Audiomobile Pre-Amp. I tried different speakers, and two different installers, before Roger Holdaway, founder of Speaker Works (and later UDS Audio) who, from what I understand was an early proponent of the importance of front stage SQ, finally......through speaker choice and placement, box construction, and through some of the important details you mention....got everything right for me within that environment. The result was amazing. MUCH, MUCH better than before with people who had inferior ideas. I originally had the Nakamichi TD 1200 II as the head unit. That got stolen out of the vehicle, and I replaced it with a top of the line Kenwood head unit.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:38 AM   #10
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
I researched some stuff and I found this Pod speakers that can hang from the rear quarter panel. I might get those (have to order from ebay) and a slim sub for the trunk.

looks like this:
http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_p...?partno=TSX150

Not keen to cut up the stock door panels, also maybe selling her off soon.
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, sound, speakers, subwoofer