Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
SuperFunBall

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue 3dr LB MT
Wife driving car= bad mpg

I went out of town for the week for work and left the car for my wife. I filled it up and drove about 90 miles on that tank like I usually do. My driving typically nets about 43 mpg for the tank fill (usually in the 9-10 gallon fill up) and about 400 plus miles at the one bar blinking. Well, when I got my car the milage read 348 and the gas indicator was blinking. Go to fill it up and it took 10.5 gallons. 33.1 mpg....WTF? I guess she was having flash backs to her vtec prelude days?

Sometimes you have to spit on your hands, raise the black flag, and start slashing throats
SuperFunBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
LMAO at the title

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
My wife drove the same way until she got her MINI Cooper with the on-board computer. I had her start watching her average MPG, and her city mileage went from 23 mpg to 28 mpg. (it won't get much better because her commute is only about 3 miles)

A lot of it comes down to just awareness. Most people don't even realize that they're doing things like holding their foot on the accelerator right up until the last second before they start braking for the light that they knew was red 10 seconds ago, or needlessly "sprinting" to catch up to traffic that's not going anywhere anyway.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ and some people do that on purpose. LOL
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
If it's any consolation the same thing happens with my wife. The lowest mileage tank I've had in the last 2 years was when she drove my Yaris for a week while I was out of town.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
That's it !...proof enough from several people...I am not getting married purely because this future wife of mine will give me bade mileage!

I've made my decision, don't try to change it with the I can change her tune!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:08 AM   #7
2009Toyotoad

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Some people simply should not drive an M/T equipped vehicle
2009Toyotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #8
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
OH leave the wife alone. Everyone has driving habits, some better than others. Does she have accidents? Is she a defensive driver? Is she a safe driver?
So she uses a little more gas...the Yaris mileage even on a bad low mileage day makes up for your wife not winning the mileage award.
Relax and give her a break.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #9
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
The same theory applies with showers. My wife's showers end when the hot water runs out.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
LMAO We need a bitch about the wife sticky.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #11
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
NOOOO, we don't, not really. If the gals retaliate and start a "bitch about the hubby" sticky, we will LOSE, bigtime...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
SuperFunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
OH leave the wife alone. Everyone has driving habits, some better than others. Does she have accidents? Is she a defensive driver? Is she a safe driver?
So she uses a little more gas...the Yaris mileage even on a bad low mileage day makes up for your wife not winning the mileage award.
Relax and give her a break.
Actually she is not a defensive driver and has had many tickets in the past due to her speeding. I was not upset at her or furious, just in disbeleif at the mpg she logged in. Hince the joke about her old vtec prelude days, she still goes on about that car. I have dogged the yaris and drove it like I stole it before and never netted below 35mpg on average.

Sometimes you have to spit on your hands, raise the black flag, and start slashing throats
Old 05-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
The 2.0L prelude engine is definitely a revver to even drive it sedately. My head didn't like meeting the roof over rough roads!

I get 8mpg when I take the wife out in my Durango. I find it's easier for her to learn with the larger mirrors and square (box) style. The brakes are also very responsive. Just driving around town takes its toll. That, and she's a bit too cautious when driving in moderate to heavy traffic - light turns red two blocks away and she takes her foot off the gas - YES!
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #14
SuperFunBall

[QUOTE=360cubes;315609]The 2.0L prelude engine is definitely a revver to even drive it sedately. My head didn't like meeting the roof over rough roads!

Yeah she has told me stories of jumping RR crossings down here in florida going 90 on back roads. Her speed addiction has slowed down mostly to her driving a company SUV except when she is in my Yaris. She is the only one I know that test drove a new integra back in 99 like she was on a road course and brought it back to the dealership smoking

Old 05-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #15
dccurrent

Drives: Yaris 5 door Liftback
My last fill up gave me 29 mpg. WTF?
dccurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #16
Blowtorch

Drives: 2009 Yaris, Silver Sedan
My fiance thinks it's weird I started keeping track of my mileage after I fill up. She asks me every single time, "why do you do this?"

It's a new car, I'm not doing it forever.
Blowtorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #17
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Not to pick on women, but I've noticed that their style of driving is generally inefficient.

Not necessarily from speeding, because men do it to. In fact, many men are guilty of what I'm about to point out but it just seems more common among women.

- Over use of brakes!!! One of the worse things you can do for mileage (and overall wear and tear).

- Lack of grace (ironic). Women tend to drive very "jerky". Bad mpg resulting.

- And a lack of sense on how engines operate efficiently (no offense).

And just overall bad habits as mentioned earlier like giving gas even when you're approaching a red light or traffic jam.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #18
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
- Over use of brakes!!! One of the worse things you can do for mileage (and overall wear and tear).
My dad, who was a hypermiler long before the term was coined, often told me that the brake pedal should be labeled "PRESS HERE TO DRAIN GAS TANK." Anytime you use the brakes, you're converting kinetic energy that you gained at the cost of burning precious fuel into waste heat that can't be recovered.

I now drive at posted speed limits, which really upsets many people, and they often punch the gas to pass me just before standing on the brakes to stop as I pull over into a turn lane approaching a stop sign or red light. I often wonder how much each such juvenile gesture costs them. Gas, brake and tire wear.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote