Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
manuel2685

Drives: 2011 Yaris Hatch
Bought my Yaris used already lowered

My rear springs arnt bolted to the vehicle and jus kinda stay on by the weight of my ride. I'm new at this and wanted to kno if I can buy a kit to where my rear springs are bolted on. Its a 11 Yaris hatch and I don't even kno wat brand I have installed. Can any one have the patience to help explain how I can go back to stock ride height? I found out that's its 14.5 inches front and 15 in the rear. Ima take off my tire to look at what brand I have tonight.
manuel2685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
well, the original ones don't bolt on in the back at all. They literally just sit in. if you jack up the vehicle, the struts should still hold them in place. even my aftermarket ones are held in with the struts.

there are a lot of us that have done aftermarket springs and have the old ones jus sitting around. you sure you want to go to stock height?

****edit****

the spring travel is greater than the strut travel so even with the car lifted and the strut fully extended, there is still pressure on the seating plate for the spring.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
They literally just sit in. if you jack up the vehicle, the struts should still hold them in place. even my aftermarket ones are held in with the struts.
You're talking about the fronts. He's talking about the rears. The springs are separate back there.

but yeah... they don't bolt on, stock or otherwise.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
manuel2685

Thx guys! Tht helps a lot! The only real reason why I wanna go back to stock ride height is because it snows here in colorado and I don't want it too low and get stuck in the snow! Right now its 12 inches in the front and 12.5 inches in the rear. I also went up a size in tires. I got 195 60 r15s instead of the 185s. I already bought 2 studded snow tires jus the rubber and put em to the side and am about to buy 2 more. I'm jus getting ready to put em on when the 1st snow hits. Its me and my wifes only ride and we really want to take care of it! We like it a lot!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
BEEF

I missworded what I said.

the struts (in the back) don't literally hold them in place but the travel of the struts keep the springs in place. I was trying to emphasize that if you jack up the back of the car (wheels off the ground) that the springs won't just fall out.

It made complete sense in my head. though once you point it out, I see how it looks like I was talking about the fronts.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
BEEF

one thing you may want to check is if the aftermarket (lowering) springs are all the way around. on the fronts and the backs. I would assume this is the case.

not sure how handy you are, it really isn't that hard to change them. basically you need hand tools and a spring compressor. the spring compressor can be borrowed from an auto parts store like autozone or advanced auto parts on a loan-a-tool program and costs nothing to do so. an impact wrench makes the job much easier as well.

if you are thinking of doing this, here are the instructions so you can see what you think. please note also that taking the cowl out is much easier than it looks in these instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Yaris spring install.pdf (2.19 MB, 6 views)
Old 10-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Stock springs abound. Post your needs in the "willing to buy" forum.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
manuel2685

Well I found out that I have Megan Racing shocks and springs. As well as a stabilizing bar with my real axle. Ill post pics when I can. So when adjusting my ride height I adjusted my shocks and springs equally on both sides and my ride height is different on each wheel. The fronts are only about 2 16ths difference but the rears have a half an inch difference. I'm thinking the amount of fuel in my fuel tank makes a difference but I don't really know. What difference from front to back ride height do you guys set?

Tags
adjusting, height, rear, ride, suspension