Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-19-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
jens07yaris

Drives: 07 yaris
07 yaris wont start

okay here is the problem. my friend was driving home from work. it just bogged out then died.it would not startback up.anyways the fuel pump was not coming on. so i changed it. i can hear it come on. but it wont start. i spray starting fluid and it will run. i hit the gas pedal and it boggs and dies out. ive noticed the key will stay on when i turn it could it have burnt out the e c u or i c m i turn the key and let it go and it will still be turning over. any advice would help greatlly thank you
jens07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It sounds like the fuel pump is running, but the injectors are not. Check the AM2 fuse in the under hood fuse panel, as that one supplies power to the injectors.

If you turn the key and let it go and the starter continues to crank, then the ECM is alive, since it takes the key bump as an input and does the cranking until the RPMs climb when the engine fires.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
jens07yaris

okay i will try it thank you. ill re post the results.....

okay i checked the fuses all good. really stumped. code reader no codes

Last edited by jens07yaris; 05-21-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
jens07yaris

so the fuses where all good. checked the injectors they are getting power. where can i get a repair manuel free,if possible. i am starting to think the x boyfriend did something to it. but i need to look at pics of fuse box, underhood fuses and relays, to see if something is missing or the wrong relay is in the wrong spot. i dont know.im kinda old school, i know more about muscle cars. thats what i grew up around. im learning about all this new computer cars. so thank you for your time and your posts.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens07yaris View Post
so the fuses where all good. checked the injectors they are getting power. where can i get a repair manuel free,if possible. i am starting to think the x boyfriend did something to it. but i need to look at pics of fuse box, underhood fuses and relays, to see if something is missing or the wrong relay is in the wrong spot. i dont know.im kinda old school, i know more about muscle cars. thats what i grew up around. im learning about all this new computer cars. so thank you for your time and your posts.
Nothing worse than a scorned X.

You can download the service manuals from the Micro Image Forum:
http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...32-YARIS-FILES

Reading your first post again, since it happened while driving (and since there is an X involved), I would suspect that whatever killed the fuel pump may have also plugged the injectors. When you changed the fuel pump, did you empty and clean the tank?
Old 05-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
jens07yaris

yes cleaned the tank.the injectors are getting power. its just weird that it will run when i spray starting fluid in it.but if they are getting power dosent mean they are spraying gas right?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens07yaris View Post
yes cleaned the tank.the injectors are getting power. its just weird that it will run when i spray starting fluid in it.but if they are getting power dosent mean they are spraying gas right?
Not necessarily. Injectors aren't pumps, they are merely solenoid valves, so when they get pulsed the valve opens letting the fuel pumps pressure push the fuel through. If they are clogged nothing will happen when they are pulsed. You can actually pull them and spray cleanser through it while powering it with a 9 volt battery to test/clean them.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
jens07yaris

thank you i will try that.