Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
Janviernes

Drives: 06 5door
Many Troubles

I bought a 2006 Yaris, manual transmission, 4 door hatchback. I took it to see what I need to pass the provincial safety inspection (Ontario). Main issues I'm facing are: many holes in the front section of exhaust, muffler section is fine. A few holes in the floor under the front seat area. And not a fail item for the safety but there's a horrible noise coming from the belt area, they said it was the alternator.

Questions: Where's the best place to find an exhaust in Canada? I see a price of $1100 on toyotapartsdirect.ca. The shop said about $800. Anything cheaper than that?
What gauge of steel do I need to weld to the floor to patch the holes? Is it possible to rivet instead of weld? They said there are a few fist sized holes and a few smaller holes. I'm going to try to take the carpet out and do the work from above for now, then I'll go underneath later and clean everything up and coat it.
Looking into possibly repairing the alternator, I'll take it apart and see if it's something I can do. Anyone ever been through this?

Any answers or other thoughts, comments, suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Janviernes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
It's likely a bearing in your alternator, you can get a reman'd unit or a used one from a recycler for cheap.

Used factory exhausts can be found fairly cheap. If the header is fine than you can just get an exhaust shop to weld in new pipe.

As for the floor holes, i cant really speak to that but I'm sure others have some info. I'm curious why you bought this car with all of its issues? There are a handful of Yaris' that are relatively rust free for cheap for sale across Canada
Old 12-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #3
Janviernes

It was only $1800, and I didn't think the issues would be as major as they are turning out to be. I didn't get a chance to inspect the bottom of the car so I didn't know about the holes in the floor, unfortunately. Lesson learned.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:45 PM   #4
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
I would find out where that noise is coming from. Most likely the Waterpump. It could be the alternator as well. As for the floor, it can be patched with 16 gauge steel and formed. if the holes are small enough, you can use longstrand fiberglass.

BTW in ontario there are plenty of mechanics and people that know people that can get safety certificates from shady mechanics without even looking at the car. The exhaust, I wouldnt worry too much about unless it has serious rust. I would just change the bad portion. There is one place in toronto I dealt with called muffler express, probably the cheapest or one of the cheapest to get exhaust parts.
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
Janviernes

Yeah it sounded like the water pump to me. Oil changing folks said maybe tensioner pulley but the garage said it was the alt and I guess they probably investigated the most.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:36 PM   #6
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janviernes View Post
I bought a 2006 Yaris, manual transmission, 4 door hatchback. I took it to see what I need to pass the provincial safety inspection (Ontario). Main issues I'm facing are: many holes in the front section of exhaust, muffler section is fine. A few holes in the floor under the front seat area. And not a fail item for the safety but there's a horrible noise coming from the belt area, they said it was the alternator.

Questions: Where's the best place to find an exhaust in Canada? I see a price of $1100 on toyotapartsdirect.ca. The shop said about $800. Anything cheaper than that?
What gauge of steel do I need to weld to the floor to patch the holes? Is it possible to rivet instead of weld? They said there are a few fist sized holes and a few smaller holes. I'm going to try to take the carpet out and do the work from above for now, then I'll go underneath later and clean everything up and coat it.
Looking into possibly repairing the alternator, I'll take it apart and see if it's something I can do. Anyone ever been through this?

Any answers or other thoughts, comments, suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Is your exhaust manifold shot? Mine was and it was the only job I paid for as I did all the other repairs. I picked up a used manifold on eBay for $45.00 US. I didn't want to tackle the manifold bolts in the head as they were rusted almost to nubs. Reman alternators are fairly cheap and very easy to install. Or, an alternator shop could rebuild it for less, likely, if your windings are still ok.

Like tmontague says, you can find used exhaust parts locally, depending of course on where you live. Since the factory exhaust is stainless steel, they will probably be in good shape from a scrap yard.

Why not post pics of your 'project'? These are always fun to follow and a great source of info for others.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarkxfirex View Post

BTW in ontario there are plenty of mechanics and people that know people that can get safety certificates from shady mechanics without even looking at the car. The exhaust, I wouldnt worry too much about unless it has serious rust. I would just change the bad portion. There is one place in toronto I dealt with called muffler express, probably the cheapest or one of the cheapest to get exhaust parts.
Agreed, an old car being sold as certified never makes me feel any better than one sold as is. I always ask to put the car up on ramps before I buy it. Only thing I can't inspect that way is the brakes and hub bearings. That's what the test drive is for.

Also some shops will claim you need a bunch of things to pass a safety once you have the car. Sometimes these things are in perfect shape and should not fail a safety.

The more you know...
Old 12-06-2017, 07:53 AM   #8
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
rust

You work on both sides of the rusted panels when the rusted exhaust system is removed. Cleaning up the holes will make bigger holes that may connect w/ rust swelled cracking seams. Then you know whether to add more money or part it out.
You need to pull the rear seats and enough interior to get to the interior view of the seams of the rear wheel arches, the "drop offs" behind the rear wheels and the rear struts' upper mounts.

Last edited by dogsridewith; 12-16-2017 at 07:42 PM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
Janviernes

So I bought a second Yaris, first is a parts car now. It's the same, 5 door 5mt but 09 in blue. New car needed some stuff done to safety as well, but I was able to take the muffler from the old one, and I diagnosed/fixed/cleared the air bag light thanks to the thread on this forum (code 32, swapped the front passenger seat). All that's left is the front brakes and I'm good to go. Then it's time to start into my long list of modifications to the car, turning it into an overland expedition vehicle. I guess there's not really a car project subforum in the forum, so I'm not sure where to post updates but if anyone wants to follow along I'll probably post in the general discussion.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:12 AM   #10
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
So I bought a second Yaris, first is a parts car now. It's the same, 5 door 5mt but 09 in blue. New car needed some stuff done to safety as well, but I was able to take the muffler from the old one, and I diagnosed/fixed/cleared the air bag light thanks to the thread on this forum (code 32, swapped the front passenger seat). All that's left is the front brakes and I'm good to go. Then it's time to start into my long list of modifications to the car, turning it into an overland expedition vehicle. I guess there's not really a car project subforum in the forum, so I'm not sure where to post updates but if anyone wants to follow along I'll probably post in the general discussion.
Overland Expedition Vehicle?

Now I want to know more!
Old 12-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #11
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
The hole in the floor should be cut , and cook a new piece of steel
Old 12-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #12
Janviernes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
Overland Expedition Vehicle?

Now I want to know more!
My previous vehicle was an FJ Cruiser, and it was pretty well developed. I drove it to every province and territory and some states. But I'm downsizing now, thus the change to a Yaris. But I will get it set up as similarly as I can, and do up a trailer as well.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:17 AM   #13
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
My previous vehicle was an FJ Cruiser, and it was pretty well developed. I drove it to every province and territory and some states. But I'm downsizing now, thus the change to a Yaris. But I will get it set up as similarly as I can, and do up a trailer as well.
Post pics!