Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #19
10peep

Drives: 2010 3D LB 5spd
WOW!!! I figured that I would be the only one on here opposed to ABS. You'll be fine. My 2002 Tacoma doesnt have it and I regularly tow with it etc. Plus, in the snow I feel MUCH more in control of my breaking. I hate to disagree with whomever said that it would bring a higher resale value but I dont totally agree with that. Most car buyers nowadays arent like us. They dont care about anything but what theyve got to pay every month. The car could come without a windshield and they wouldnt even notice. Not to mention, if it were really that big of a safety asset (instead of a government mandate) do you really think that Toyota would once again want to throw their a$$ on the line and be viewed as a manufacturer of "unsafe" automobiles? I almost believe that this car is too light for ABS anyway, once the dry straight line pavement disappears anyway.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #20
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
FWIW......
The Yaris ABS do no prevent the bakes from locking up or hinder the braking in anyway.

They simply just only allow the bakes to be locked up intemitantly.

So, if you never want the brakes to lock up and drive acordingly, you will never know you have ABS. There is absolutly no pedal pulsating, etc.

Saying you would never need ABS is like saying you will never need seat belts, air bags, power steering, bumpers, etc because you are a good driver.
No one can control road conditions or other drivers on the road.

I'm a "stick and rudder" type driver and never liked ABS but, the ABS on the Yaris is a non issue for me.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #21
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
FWIW......
The Yaris ABS do no prevent the bakes from locking up or hinder the braking in anyway.

They simply just only allow the bakes to be locked up intemitantly.

So, if you never want the brakes to lock up and drive acordingly, you will never know you have ABS. There is absolutly no pedal pulsating, etc.

Saying you would never need ABS is like saying you will never need seat belts, air bags, power steering, bumpers, etc because you are a good driver.
No one can control road conditions or other drivers on the road.

I'm a "stick and rudder" type driver and never liked ABS but, the ABS on the Yaris is a non issue for me.
Based on your comments, you have never experienced the yaris ABS do its thing.

IT DOES SIGNIFICANTLY HINDER THE BRAKING AND THE BRAKE PEDAL DOES PULSATE/PUSH BACK.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #22
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
Based on your comments, you have never experienced the yaris ABS do its thing.

IT DOES SIGNIFICANTLY HINDER THE BRAKING AND THE BRAKE PEDAL DOES PULSATE/PUSH BACK.
My pedal does not pulsate all.
Yes, I have definately initiated the ABS a few times to check them out and have fully experience their function.

Yes, it hinders your braking in the respect that it prevents brakes from locking up steadily.

I don't drive routinely to puposely lock up my brakes.
If one desire a car to track, then perhaps a Yaris is a bad choice to begin with.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #23
Flipper_1938

Quote:
My pedal does not pulsate all.
Yes, I have definately initiated the ABS a few times to check them out and have fully experience their function.

Yes, it hinders your braking in the respect that it prevents brakes from locking up steadily.

I don't drive routinely to puposely lock up my brakes.
If one desire a car to track, then perhaps a Yaris is a bad choice to begin with.
I don't abuse my car either.

In low traction situations (snow or ice), it is awful. That is the only condition where has been an issue....but it has been a bad enough of a problem that I would avoid buying another Yaris with ABS if I had to replace my current car.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #24
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
My 09 makes a cracking sound at the wheels when the ABS deploys. The pedal does vibrate some also. I wouldnt call it pulsing.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #25
RedRide

I'm a bit confused when some say that their brake pedels pulsate, etc when mine doesn't exhibit any of these problems.
Perhaps some have ABS that is not working properly?

BTW......when the ABS brakes do lock up, they will intermittently unlock and lock a few times a second and maby this is what some are interpeting as "pedel pulsating".
Old 03-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #26
10peep

Quote:
..........some say that their brake pedels pulsate, etc when mine doesn't exhibit any of these problems.
Perhaps some have ABS that is not working properly?........
Lol, on every single vehicle that Ive ever owned with ABS (Ive owned 28 vehicles in the last 4 years, MOST of them with ABS), the pedal pulsates when ABS engages. Heres a couple SMALL excerpts from articles that I found on the subject...

"Expect noise and vibration in the brake pedal when your anti-lock brakes are in use. These sensations tell you the ABS system is working properly."

"ABS - Antilocking Braking System prevents the wheels from locking causing the vehicle to either slide or skid out. The system pulsates the pads or shoes of the brakes providing the wheels to still rotate at a slowing rate, maintaining traction and steering control during hard braking.
During hard braking the break pedal with pulsate rapidly - that is the ABS activating. Just keep firm pressure on the pedal and the car with stop in an reasonable stopping distance."

Etc...it goes on and on and on. Not trying to be a jerk, but perhaps it is YOU that have ABS that is not functioning properly, lol.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #27
RedRide

^^^^

Quote:
......(Ive owned 28 vehicles in the last 4 years, MOST of them with ABS), the pedal pulsates .........
Yeah, most but, not all.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #28
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
^^^^

Yeah, most but, not all.
I think he meant most of his cars had ABS but all of his cars that did have ABS had pulsating brakes. Early ABS systems were horrible; the brake pedal would actually bounce up and down noticeably. New systems now just cause the pedal to buzz or vibrate.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #29
10peep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
I think he meant most of his cars had ABS but all of his cars that did have ABS had pulsating brakes. Early ABS systems were horrible; the brake pedal would actually bounce up and down noticeably. New systems now just cause the pedal to buzz or vibrate.
^^^
Old 03-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #30
Slummy

Drives: Black LB
If I had it to do over I would opt to not have ABS.
It's not the function that bothers me, it's the problems that may crop up. The last two winters my ABS and break light have come on after heavy snows. The day after the light came on it went off, but from what I've read it's a pricey fix.
Slummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:28 AM   #31
Blue Y job

Drives: 2007 Blue Yaris Hatch
ABS is great. But only if you have great ABS. If it's really crude and comes in too early, then it's not desireable, if it's well designed then it's an aid to your driving fun. At least from my experience. But my Yari doesn't have ABS, even though I would have preferred it, but it's not a dealbreaker.
Blue Y job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #32
Mikeey01nzl
91octane $2.24nzd / litre

Drives: 05 5d 1.3 CVT
I think ABS is an important safety feature.

The Vitz is my wifes daily driver, drop kids off to the schools and work etc.
With ABS in ours I have some confidence when she panic brakes she might stand a fighting chance of swerveing to avoid something.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:07 AM   #33
Blue Y job

Drives: 2007 Blue Yaris Hatch
Exactly. That's what ABS is about, helping the average driver. And if it's well designed, it can help out the sporting driver, unless he/she is hardcore, I want to to everything myself.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Blue Y job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:47 AM   #34
Flipper_1938

Under most conditions it is a great idea. On slick roads, it makes the car almost undriveable and is downright dangerous when ABS prematurely activates.

My Echo was great in the snow; it would go anywhere. The Yaris needs to be parked until EVERYTHING melts.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #35
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Slummy: "Pricey" is right. The ABS actuator failed on my mom's 1995 Accord. $1,000 to replace and this was a relatively unsophisticated system.

Blue Y: I disagree that ABS adds to the driving fun. I've posted in another thread how the ABS in my 2004 IS300 killed my perfectly balanced braking. The tires were humming at max threshold when all of a sudden the ABS kicked in and reduced the braking force (felt the front end come up). ABS may be good in uneven traction situations, but it sucks in the dry for sure and probably in the rain as well.

I am a little undecided about ABS in a FF car, though. With so much weight up front and even more weight due to weight transfer under heavy braking, it might be a good idea for the rears...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #36
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
I'm a driving instructor, and I can promise you that in my 113,000 kms I've braked more with the ABS on than anyone else here. In fact, with every student we practice slamming on the brakes at 60 and 80 kms/hour. That's a LOT of braking.

A few things:

The Pedal WILL PULSATE back at you when you slam on the brakes. But so what? It's not a big deal when you know what that what the ABS does.

In good conditions the abs will only come on with hard braking at about 60km/h, or 40-ishmph. Drive well and you likely never need the abs to come on.

In the snow, I can see ABS being annoying. ABS brakes won't work as well on loose surfaces, and the extra control might be nice.

Other than that one area, I wouldn't want a car without ABS. They work great and studies show they stop you sooner on a dry road. Yes, you can pulse your brakes (threashold braking) but in a real emergency, I'd rather focus on where I need to move the car to and not waste time and energy thinking about not locking the brakes.

I don't really think ABD is a "nanny" any more than power steering is a "nanny".
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote