Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #1
Pacman

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3d LB
2010 Steering Wheel Controls

Well I'm a Yaris driver again. Had given my 2010 to family for use while at school but now I'm driving it again. So I though it was time for a refresh. I've been driving a new car that had steering wheel controls and really want that back. So looking around the forums I found a whole bunch of info about conversions that CtScott had done. Nice to see all that knowledge out there. Anyway the Yaris is a base model with no power accessories, cruise or any of those things I was getting used to. So went ebay shopping and picked up a 2011 Camry wheel and air bag with the switches I want and cruise. A 2012 Yaris clock spring and one of those OBD HUD thingies. Looked like the steering wheel lugs match up with pretty much everything else so hopefully the clock spring lines up Since I'm updating everything I have a couple questions about what is already there for wiring. Based on the other posts I think the cruise will not be an issue just need to get the clutch switch. The airbag is the dual plug so that should be good.

That leaves the radio and phone controls. The connector looks like it matches so should be good going to the clock spring. The question becomes on the 2010 base are the wires coming out of the dash side of the clock spring there already or do I need to add those to the connector? Any thoughts before I take it apart?

That leaves finding a head unit that works with the blutooth and radio controls. Thinking I'd like a factory unit, but with nav they kinda pricey, we'll see where that goes. Does the factory (low end) 2010 unit accept any of these controls already?

I have been pleasantly surprised by the HUD unit as it seems to work pretty good in the bright daylight. I'm thinking about embedding it into the dash cover. Pretty small dimensions so again, based on some photos I've seen there looks to be a couple of inches of empty space right behind the storage compartment?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or tips.
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
bassmannate

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Not sure if you managed to get it all going. I can't comment on the mechanical aspect but electronically, nearly all aftermarket head units can be controlled with steering wheel controls. You will need an interface like the aswc-1 to link up. Instructions are pretty straight forward and usually involve pressing or holding volume up on the steering wheel after its all connected to get the interface to program to your controls.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
bassmannate is offline   Reply With Quote