Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #19
ztrack157
Vroom Vroom Beep Beep

Drives: Powered Roller Skate
Send a message via AIM to ztrack157 Send a message via MSN to ztrack157 Send a message via Yahoo to ztrack157
I talked to my grandfather and he said it could have been from bottoming out but the tokicos are stiffer thus no more bottoming out. I don't know since you and I both put these tokicos on about the same time and now we both have the same problem. I have 45,000 mile on my car and have had it lowered for well over a year and a half now. No problem until the shocks were replaced. I don't want this to happen again so I may be going back to the stock springs.
ztrack157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #20
bdc87
HISTORY REPEATED 11/04/08

Drives: 07' MM Vitz LB
Send a message via AIM to bdc87
I have 24K miles on mine and had it lowered with out the shocks for 2K miles. The shocks seem to be the culprit or we both screwed up on installing them. Toyota said they would warrant it if it was TRD, I might have to switch to TRD springs and shocks but the tokicos are suppose to be better. But I only have 12K miles on the warranty so I don't see it as viable.
bdc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:04 AM   #21
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Both you guys have the same problem? Did you guys get it installed at the same place? lol. Its possible whoever installed the shocks nick the boot while installing. There might have been a sharp edge on the tokico shocks that snagged the boot. Over time the snag got larger while the boot gets pulled by turning and suspension movements and eventually it tears.

Lowering the car or having tokico shocks won't cause the problems you guys are having. The only probable cause is installer error.

Tell them to explain to you how a "flat" axle would cause that problem. Then just give them the "WTF" look and shake your head in disagreement and tell them that there are thousands and thousands of lowered cars out there that don't have axle boot problems. Then throw your hands in the air and tell them that it doesn't make sense at all and that they are just looking for an excuse to not cover it under warranty. Just be persistent, lol.
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #22
bdc87
HISTORY REPEATED 11/04/08

Drives: 07' MM Vitz LB
Send a message via AIM to bdc87
I will try. Unless I misheard him and he said that it was angled and needs to be flat? IDk. I think we both did the install ourselves. Wierd that is only on the left side? I'll see what he says and report back. For the time being I'm using a Mazda 6, not a bad sedan, but no econobox.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #23
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I'm having the same issue again. I had a drivers side boot problem about a year and half ago. I checked under the car yesterday and it's back again, on the drivers side.

Is their a particular reason why it seems these axle boots are having issues and it's always tending to be on the drivers side? Is it bad suspension design by Toyota? i as well am running Tokicos and Teins. But if was running a lowered suspension that was at fault, shouldn't the passenger side have failed somewhere along the line to the 100,000 miles I'm now at.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #24
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
There's always more weight on the driver's side front corner when car is being stopped, turned, and generally in motion.
Perhaps the extra load makes the axel angle more severe and causes it to tear??
Just a shot in the dark...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote