Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #55
andru47

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3DR LB
Send a message via AIM to andru47
Thanks for the write up. Got it done after hassleing with the torx bolts. My question now is for those who have removed the seats. Any tips for storing the bench in good condition? What did you guys do? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #56
rtom

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3-door liftback MT
How much additional vertical clearance in the storage area?

I'm considering removing my 60/40 rear seats in my '10 LB to create more space for hauling. First item on my list: a 30" range. Best way to fit it in completely would be to have the 30" dimension of the range (which is the width of the range when it is oriented normally in a kitchen) oriented vertically in the car. In other words, the range would be on its side.

How much additional vertical clearance do you get from removing the rear seats in a LB?
rtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #57
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by andru47 View Post
Thanks for the write up. Got it done after hassleing with the torx bolts. My question now is for those who have removed the seats. Any tips for storing the bench in good condition? What did you guys do? Thanks.
Sitting in my shop covered in plastic. Probably sell it.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #58
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by andru47 View Post
mine is sitting in a house about 1200 miles away. Don't really care about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtom View Post
I'm considering removing my 60/40 rear seats in my '10 LB to create more space for hauling. First item on my list: a 30" range. Best way to fit it in completely would be to have the 30" dimension of the range (which is the width of the range when it is oriented normally in a kitchen) oriented vertically in the car. In other words, the range would be on its side.

How much additional vertical clearance do you get from removing the rear seats in a LB?
maybe 6"? maybe a little more. it doesn't double the space back there.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #59
bairjo

I never thought i would take out the back seat. However i had a bag of salt/calcium chloride mix break open and it all over the place under the seats, spare tire, under the side molding. Freakin mess! Gota take the seat out to get it all cleaned out.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #60
Klink10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
I never thought i would take out the back seat. However i had a bag of salt/calcium chloride mix break open and it all over the place under the seats, spare tire, under the side molding. Freakin mess! Gota take the seat out to get it all cleaned out.
That's ashame. Good luck. Try and find the cargo tray and get it. Worth what I paid back when.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #61
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
That's ashame. Good luck. Try and find the cargo tray and get it. Worth what I paid back when.
Cargo Tray? Is this something pre-made for a yaris HB with the rear seat removed?
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #62
Klink10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
Cargo Tray? Is this something pre-made for a yaris HB with the rear seat removed?
Actually it was made as a Toyota accessory to use with the seat in. When I removed my seat which the back of secures the tray in place (to keep it from sliding forward), I fabricated some brackets and plastic to use the seat bolt holes to keep it secured now. Works like a champ. Had to, as I use this vehicle on occasion to fill my fuel containers and didn't want any spills. Easy to clean also.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #63
yariSB86

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Yaris LB
First off, thanks for the DIY. Was very helpful.

So i removed my 60/40 sliding/reclining back seats. Was pretty simple after i realized that this DIY is based on a bench seat and not the 60/40 split. Only difference was that there is no removing the seat cushion from the frame, it all stays connected. I also removed the "middle" seat belt that hangs from the overhead. you know, that one that's RIGHT in the middle of the rear view mirror! The last pic is with the "spare tire cover" laid back in.

p.s. Torx bolts are a PITA when you stripe them...

yariSB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #64
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
looks great, tell me about those torx bolts. I stripped one and had to go everywhere to find someone who could get it out. Finally found a guy at a body shop who was able to do it in a few minutes.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #65
yariSB86

I used an 8mm socket wrench that took all but one bolt out. I had to hammer down a 7mm to break the seal.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #66
watersoilair

Drives: 08-2DR-MT-LB-Red
Hello,

I am looking to remove the rear backrest, not the bottom part. I do a lot of camping and need just a tad bit more space...could someone help with this? The tutorial doesn't really cover that part (unless I've missed it)! Thanks!

From Ontario, Canada
watersoilair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #67
yariSB86

What back seat setup do you have? The bench or the reclining 60/40 split?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #68
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by watersoilair View Post
Hello,

I am looking to remove the rear backrest, not the bottom part. I do a lot of camping and need just a tad bit more space...could someone help with this? The tutorial doesn't really cover that part (unless I've missed it)! Thanks!

From Ontario, Canada
I'm assuming you have the solid bench.

- You need to remove the two torx bolts from the rear mounting points accessible through the hatch

- You then need to pop off the bottom cushion to access two more torx bolts hidden beneath it. Since at this point there are only two more hex bolts left in the entire assembly, you might as well take everything out.

Socket for the torx is an E10 torx. Do not attempt to use an 8mm. Two hex bolts are 14mm
Old 06-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #69
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
Where can I buy the solid bench backs eat platform thing, for when the seats are removed? Really want one of these!
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #70
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by naossoan View Post
Where can I buy the solid bench backs eat platform thing, for when the seats are removed? Really want one of these!
What?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #71
Klink10

Quote:
Originally Posted by naossoan View Post
To take it further, from what I understand of your question. Removal of the seat be it solid or 60/40 will leave a void. There is no platform available for purchase to fill it. You can make one as several on the forums have.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #72
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
Send a message via AIM to dvlnblkdrs Send a message via Yahoo to dvlnblkdrs
so glad others are jumping on this awesome bandwagon.. i love mine

dvlnblkdrs is offline   Reply With Quote