Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #37
kebhen

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris with 184K
I wonder if anyone can help with this one....I have error codes 32, 35, 37 and 51. It sounds like all the wiring and a buckle sensor are gone. Any ideas?
kebhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #38
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Was your car in an accident?

32, 35 and 37 are all issues with the occupant classification system (which is the system that weighs the contents of the passenger seat and determines if the airbag should be armed). Code 51 is for the spiral cable (AKA clockspring, which is the device that allows the wires for the driver's airbag to stay connected as the steering wheel is rotated).

Did you try clearing the codes after reading them?
Old 06-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #39
kebhen

I do not know if the car was in an accident as it is new to me. I am not sure how to clear the codes. Is that when you take of the black cable from the battery for 15 minutes?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #40
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebhen View Post
I do not know if the car was in an accident as it is new to me. I am not sure how to clear the codes. Is that when you take of the black cable from the battery for 15 minutes?
No unplugging the battery won't clear SRS DTC's. You clear them similarly to how you read them with the procedure in post #2 of this thread.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #41
kebhen

Also, I should have mentioned. It does not appear the car was in an accident as I checked it over. But, There is maybe the regulator in the alternator problem as well, the battery seems fine 13.6 car not started and like 15.5 or so when started. The alternator is a bit low pushing 13.6 instead of 14V which gives a trouble light every once in a while. The passenger side airbag indicator comes on when someone sits in the car etc.
Thanks for the reply - you seem like the sites godsend when it comes to trouble shooting..Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #42
kebhen

That is how I read the codes. After I turned the car off. Waited 10minutes and then went for a drive and the light came back on. Should I read the codes again?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #43
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebhen View Post
That is how I read the codes. After I turned the car off. Waited 10minutes and then went for a drive and the light came back on. Should I read the codes again?
Ah, that link in post #2 wasn't the complete one. Below is the complete one with the second portion explaining how to clear the codes. The potential alternator issue would not cause these codes to be set.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...73&postcount=2
Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #44
kebhen

I have to try this later as family duty prevails. I have to go to a dance recital for the young one. I will get back after this evening. Thanks for all so far.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #45
kebhen

I tried the reset this morning and after I thought it was reset I still had the error code of 51, but when I turned of and went back in it was reading all the same codes. But, my battery died which leads to my three problems. I think the regulator on the alternator or alternator are bad or my battery is dieing. It's on the trickle charger now. I will get the battery checked over hopefully today to see how much life is left in it. I checked the connectors to the battery all looks good there. The battery light was flicking. But I was told by a mechanic the alterator was putting out low at about 13.6V. Problems problems.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #46
kebhen

Battery was dead 310CCA. New one in and drove around the block. Still got the alternator and airbag problem - try to get an alternator (even though it might just be the regulator corroded up) tommorrow..Then back to the airbag light.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #47
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
what is a jumper? a paperclip?

I've had this srs light staying on for a few months now and can't figure it out on how to read it or clear it. The car was in an accident years ago and never any problem until the last few months, so i can't imagine that it was the cause of it being so long ago.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #48
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
what is a jumper? a paperclip?

I've had this srs light staying on for a few months now and can't figure it out on how to read it or clear it. The car was in an accident years ago and never any problem until the last few months, so i can't imagine that it was the cause of it being so long ago.
A paperclip would be fine. Basically, you just need something to make contact between those two pins.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #49
detroiter

I'm going on out there and I'll let you know what I find out...

the resetting sequence is so confusing lol
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #50
detroiter

so it looks like i'm getting one code...a 51. Not sure what that means or if it's worth resetting?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #51
CTScott
ULTIMATE

51 is the spiral cable (AKA clockspring). You can try resetting it, but chances are that you have a broken connection within it.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #52
detroiter

im trying to reset it but how do you do it? i'm having a really difficult time trying to do it

And if I don't fix it, what will happen? None of the airbags will deploy if I'm nailed?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #53
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
im trying to reset it but how do you do it? i'm having a really difficult time trying to do it

And if I don't fix it, what will happen? None of the airbags will deploy if I'm nailed?
Getting the timing right with the reset procedure takes a bit of practice.

If you don't fix it, I believe that the airbags will not deploy, and the steering wheel one definitely will not.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #54
detroiter

It seems that this code 51 is a common problem. Shouldn't something like this be covered by toyota no matter if you have a warranty or not? This is airbag/safety related and should be covered by them 100% no matter what.

It's not like someone neglected to change their brake pads or bad tires. These are airbag systems, it's not like it's a "wear n' tear" item.