Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-24-2013, 03:15 AM   #1
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Brakes squeak.

What is causing the feint squeak when i press the brakes? I just noticed it today.What

could it be? It happens when I pull up to a stop and the brakes is fully depressed.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
brakes

If the car is a 2007 and you never done the brakes on it , than it's time. I would remove the rear drums cover and take a little looks and see. Most front wheel drive cars I believe the rear pads wear out faster before the front pads. It could also be the tattle tale on the brake pads, if it has one not all pads have a tattle tale these days.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
This has been covered quite a bit recently (search!)

For me the solution was this: Removed the rear drums, replaced the brake shoes, both the drums were warped, had them turned, cleaned everything up with brake cleaner, put it back together, squeak gone! Mine is an '07 as well.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
junorico24

Ok, thanks...

The brakes squeaks when I apply the brakes, but it's also making a humming sound when running. I had this issue with my Nissan before. When the pads ground down, apparently there's an indicator which squeaks/squeals to let us know the pads needs replacing. Well the Yaris isn't squealing like the Nissan i had but there's definitely humming grinding noise from the front wheel area.That's where i think it's coming from or is it the drums at the back?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
Ok, thanks...

The brakes squeaks when I apply the brakes, but it's also making a humming sound when running. I had this issue with my Nissan before. When the pads ground down, apparently there's an indicator which squeaks/squeals to let us know the pads needs replacing. Well the Yaris isn't squealing like the Nissan i had but there's definitely humming grinding noise from the front wheel area.That's where i think it's coming from or is it the drums at the back?
If it's humming sound than it could be your front bearings. My Tacoma had that problem and would only start humming at around 35-40 mph and above.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
What is causing the feint squeak when i press the brakes? I just noticed it today.What

could it be? It happens when I pull up to a stop and the brakes is fully depressed.
If it is on the rear brakes you could try removing the drums and brushing all the dust from the shoes and drum. This may well not cure the squeak as it could well be a hard spot on the bake liner. My wife's last Yaris did this, I drove the car and applied the handbrake gently, eventually the squeak disappeared.
Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
junorico24

Thanks,

I'll take all your wonderful advice on board. I do think it's the bearing or brake pads ware. Thanks my fellow Yarisers.